House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

libspero

Anyone Need A Head Transplant?

$11mn, 36-hour historic head transplant to be carried out in China in 2017

The operation is planned to take place at Harbin Medical University in China's northeast Heilongjiang province.

Donor and patient will have their head severed from their body simultaneously, with an ultra-sharp blade. Then, the patients head will be attached to the donors body with biological glue, plus stitches.

http://www.rt.com/news/315149-head-transplant-china-2017/

Clearly the volunteers are complete heid cases.

Or in this case almost certainly Chinese government dissenters!

We'll brush over that for now..

Or in this case almost certainly Chinese government dissenters!

We'll brush over that for now..

Looking at the body picture in the wheelchair I get the impression the Chinese bloke it not going to be happy with the outcome..

(Provided it works of course).....

I'm really baffled by this one. Surely the recipient will be completely paralysed from neck down, likely need respiration support and be taking immunosuppressants for the remainder of likely a very short life. However bad the current quality of his life is - it will surely be worse afterwards.

You'd only really consider it if you thought it would be temporary and your body was in imminent danger of complete shutdown.

^^ Good points, not sure if they will carry his existing spine across, how they will splice the nerves in, etc for it to actually work?

The technology to reattach the nervous system following a head transplant or other major spinal injury doesn't really exist yet.

Head transplants might make sense one day (say in 50-100 years), but medical technology is not yet sophisticated enough for this to provide any quality of life at all for the patient.

So just imagine theres some guy on death row who's married:

• He gets selected for this, they chop his head off and replace it with this other guy.
  • The operation is a success.
  • His wife finds out, tracks down the new person.
  • He obviously has no idea who she is - because new brain.
  • She manages to seduce him anyway and get pregnant.

Who's kid is it?

So just imagine theres some guy on death row who's married:

• He gets selected for this, they chop his head off and replace it with this other guy.
  • The operation is a success.
  • His wife finds out, tracks down the new person.
  • He obviously has no idea who she is - because new brain.
  • She manages to seduce him anyway and get pregnant.

Who's kid is it?

I think this reaches the level of medical experimentation here where death is the preferable option.

I vaguely recall Roald Dahl, I think, wrote a short story that bears a passing similarity to this proposed experiment - about some guy who, to escape death, ended up agreeing to remain with just his brain and eye kept alive?? He could experience the world through sight but had no way of interacting back. Needless to say, given it was by Dahl, there was a dark ending.

I'll try to Google for it.......

I'm really baffled by this one. Surely the recipient will be completely paralysed from neck down, likely need respiration support and be taking immunosuppressants for the remainder of likely a very short life. However bad the current quality of his life is - it will surely be worse afterwards.

You'd only really consider it if you thought it would be temporary and your body was in imminent danger of complete shutdown.

I think there has been significant progress with reattaching spinal injuries involving clean slices, but they are vanishingly rare compared to crush injuries.