House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
choox

Student Style Accommodation For Adults

I would be very supportive of one being built with, oh I don't know, something like 650 units

So that MPs could be the first to trial them - lead by example and all that

A bit off topic (except where would you fit one in the next generation of mini mini flats/share a cupboard) the latest telephone scam seems to be call centres telephoning people trying to sell washing machine insurance - all "according to our records" :lol::lol::lol: what a con, yet another con.

It must be out of sheer desperation.

Edited by billybong

Prisons. That's what this sinister Cleaver woman and Dave's ex-advisor chappie really want built.

Edited by zugzwang

Cleaver added: "My perception is that young people are not as absorbed by the need to own property as people of my age. That's a very interesting cultural shift and more of a European perspective."

Well, they simply can't do it, so there's not a lot of point in getting "absorbed" by it I suppose.

Makes me so angry reading rubbish like that. How anyone could possibly be so detached from the real world to suggest that student living (permanently) is a desirable lifestyle choice is beyond me.

They bang on about the flexible labour market (zero hour contracts) and renting as if it opens up the world to young people to do whatever they want, whenever they want. What planet are they on? Its a lifetime of serfdorm. Its disgusting to describe this collapse in living standards to people as if its an opportunity or a choice.

Sharing a living space is one of those things you have to do as a student and for a few years as you start you working life.

Shared a house when I first started working. Any novelty soon wears off and once the newer sharers move in and bring various bad habits and others part-time sharers, it starts to be anything but pleasant. As an adult you need your own space and independence - until you do commit to a relationship.

This is just another example of a failure to adequately house the population on the back of rentierism and a fast buck. It is also an example of the ongoing infantalisation of young adults who should have moved on from that.

I really pity the under 30s, and what has been done to them.

If it was cheap enough (i.e. very cheap) I would go for it in order to save a deposit and get a mortgage on my own place asap. However, this is undoubtedly a pipe dream. In my nearest city student accommodation rooms go for the same sort of price as traditional flats (not sure if that includes all utilities, etc, I know some do include interwebz).

Sharing a living space is one of those things you have to do as a student and for a few years as you start you working life.

Shared a house when I first started working. Any novelty soon wears off and once the newer sharers move in and bring various bad habits and others part-time sharers, it starts to be anything but pleasant. As an adult you need your own space and independence - until you do commit to a relationship.

This is just another example of a failure to adequately house the population on the back of rentierism and a fast buck. It is also an example of the ongoing infantalisation of young adults who should have moved on from that.

I really pity the under 30s, and what has been done to them.

I'm 32 and I'm sharing. I'd much rather have my own place. Unfortunately in London that is now completely impossible.

If someone offered me a 'student-style' en-suite room, property maintained, for the same or less than I'm paying in my current private rental, I'd seriously consider it. Living standards have been so squeezed what other option do I have? Years of voting, of online comments, of writing to MPs, of saving a deposit, of moving for work, haven't made a blind bit of difference. The housing crisis just gets worse and the prospect of a home of my own gets farther and farther away.

That's what I've been reduced to. At least in a properly maintained student block I could live my life quietly in my room if I wanted.

Rohan Silva and Naomi Cleaver's quotes from the article are disgusting:

"Young people today interpret their quality of life differently to a generation before," Silva said. "And they want to live in the middle of the action. They want to be close cultural life and amenities like that. And they're happier actually living in a smaller unit to do that."

Cleaver added: "My perception is that young people are not as absorbed by the need to own property as people of my age. That's a very interesting cultural shift and more of a European perspective."

Yes, we 'interpret' our quality of life differently because our quality of life is worse. And I'm not sure how we're supposed to be 'absorbed' by the need to own property when we've been denied the chance to do so. Attitudes like these are nothing but smug, wilful delusion.

If people like that are advising the government then God help us.

close living might work for some groups of people but not anyone who is

(a) a noisy tw&t

(B) light fingered

© sensitive to being around other people's dirty clothes.

I'm 32 and I'm sharing. I'd much rather have my own place. Unfortunately in London that is now completely impossible.

If someone offered me a 'student-style' en-suite room, property maintained, for the same or less than I'm paying in my current private rental, I'd seriously consider it. Living standards have been so squeezed what other option do I have? Years of voting, of online comments, of writing to MPs, of saving a deposit, of moving for work, haven't made a blind bit of difference. The housing crisis just gets worse and the prospect of a home of my own gets farther and farther away.

That's what I've been reduced to. At least in a properly maintained student block I could live my life quietly in my room if I wanted.

Rohan Silva and Naomi Cleaver's quotes from the article are disgusting:

Yes, we 'interpret' our quality of life differently because our quality of life is worse. And I'm not sure how we're supposed to be 'absorbed' by the need to own property when we've been denied the chance to do so. Attitudes like these are nothing but smug, wilful delusion.

If people like that are advising the government then God help us.

Hey... she said young people. Not people firmly established in their careers...coming up to the point where medical advice for half the population is you are too old to safely have kids...

On the up side you don't have to worry about saving for retirement as that will have been abolished by the time you get there.

Enjoy your servitude. But stop pretending you are young just because you don't have a cats chance of owning a basic property

These are basically gilded prisons that you pay for.

I mostly lived in shared houses up until my mid 30s. It's OK - maybe even a good idea - when you are single, less fun when you're married. Despite the length of time, I always saw it as a temporary way of life to enable me to save - and it was worth it in the end. It would be pretty depressing if it had turned out to be permanent though.

Sounds like middle men corporation plans to make it sound like cohousing, but skim profits

A cohousing[1] community is a type of intentional communitycomposed of private homes supplemented by shared facilities. The community is planned, owned and managed by the residents – who also share activities which may include cooking, dining, child care, gardening, and governance of the community. Common facilities may include a kitchen, dining room, laundry, child care facilities, offices, internet access, guest rooms, and recreational features.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cohousing

http://cohousing.org.uk/