House Price Crash Forum

Money Saving Devices

Gigantic Purple Slug

HOLA441

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3229358/Broke-students-post-pictures-strange-ways-save-money.html

I'm sure HPC could give these guys a run for their money.

How about the poster who made an international space station out of a fridge and didn't someone the other day roast some roadkill in a volcanic crater or something ?

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Apparently if you put magnets aroung an electricity meter it slows down or stop the meter from turning. That's what vids on yout ube state.. No idea if it's true, can't yet find enough magnets to try it!

That could work if the bits that rotate are made of metal either through ferromagnetic attraction or through eddy current effects.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

:lol: The mods were quick off the mark, and took down a video posted by someone (not me) showing how to fiddle an electricity meter using magnets.

And clear in the background, hanging on the wall, was a devotion picture to the Most Sacred heart of Jesus.

I was going to ask how many Hail Mary's stealing electricity was worth.

HOLA4412

:lol: The mods were quick off the mark, and took down a video posted by someone (not me) showing how to fiddle an electricity meter using magnets.

And clear in the background, hanging on the wall, was a devotion picture to the Most Sacred heart of Jesus.

I was going to ask how many Hail Mary's stealing electricity was worth.

It's quite OK to steal Protestant Electricity. :unsure:

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

You don't steal electricity, you abstract it. Since God said thout shalt not steal, you might argue yourself free from Hail Marys on a technicality.

Look it is not the electricity co.s electricity, it belongs to Allah so everyone can use it, or at least that's what a guy from Sweden told me.

HOLA4417

My nan had her gas meter on a box on its side for years for the same reason. This was back in the day when they weren't fixed to the wall.

I had to call time on the scam when I went round to her house one day and could smell gas. Turned out the flexible pipe had developed a leak and rather than call BG who would have fixed it to the wall she'd decided she preferred cheap gas over her safety and tried to fix the leak with parcel tape.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Years ago, I don't know about now, gas meters used to have the same fitting on the inlet and the outlet. I once asked a man who had a meter running backwards how he dealt with the matter of leaking gas when he was reversing it. He said he just did it quickly. That is heroic parsimony.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Another meter related scam was carried out by my dad in the 60s. He found out that pieces of lino cut to the same size as a coin worked just as well in the meter as the real thing. He was very proud of having the only meter that rattled rather than jingled when it was emptied.

I'm sure this is an apocryphal story but it was also the case you could cast 50p pieces out of ice and do the same.

Archived