House Price Crash Forum

Licence Fee To Be Linked To The Value Of Your House?

HOLA441

Will new TV licence fee be linked to the value of your house? Minister suggests levy could be paid along with council tax

Currently, people pay the same for their TV licence but Culture Secretary John Whittingdale said a degree of 'progressivity' could be introduced - meaning the rich would contribute more than the poor.

Not your wage, but the value of your house!!!

Edited by interestrateripoff

HOLA442

Damn stupid idea....

What about those who live in rented or flats....

Far easier to apply a poll tax on every citizen over the age of 18 £10 a year. Why should the levy always fall on the householder when everyone is at liberty to watch the box.... :)

Seriously BBC should go the sky route and encrypt. If you want it you then have a choice.

It seems the most sensible solution so I can't see why it is never seriously discussed.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

The BBC needs to just stop this nonsense and go full subscription. How dare a corporation I have no interest in demand money with menaces for a product I choose not to use, they reason they do not go down the subscription route is because they know full well they would sink in a true free market situation, so the bully boy tactics continue until the public actually do something about it.

HOLA447

Will new TV licence fee be linked to the value of your house? Minister suggests levy could be paid along with council tax

Currently, people pay the same for their TV licence but Culture Secretary John Whittingdale said a degree of 'progressivity' could be introduced - meaning the rich would contribute more than the poor.

Not your wage, but the value of your house!!!

The BBC want all those people who dont currently pay, to pay.

Ther BBC license fee is only discretionary so long as everyone is paying it.

I f**king hate the UK .

HOLA448
HOLA449

The licence fee needs to go away altogether.

State sponsored television in this day and age? FOH

Do you honestly believe the BBC would give up their nice little earner.

The boys at the top must be making a forune out of a guaranteed income stream...well it was guaranteed till people just5 stopped paying it and switched to the internet.

The British governments solution to anything is never less tax...it's more tax...expect the internet to be heavily taxes eventually.

HOLA4410

Would far rather pay a license fee, than the stealth license fee I pay indirectly pay to sky, itv, c4, five, etc... through adverts whether I have a TV or not.

Goes to show why we have so many stealth taxes when people are easily paying more than the license fee to fund TV, radio, internet and newspapers but moan about the license fee. You'll end up in more trouble if you tried not to pay the stealth license fee.

In fact let's encrypt all TV abolish the advert sleath tax, let me pay for what I want to watch without adverts.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Would far rather pay a license fee, than the stealth license fee I pay indirectly pay to sky, itv, c4, five, etc... through adverts whether I have a TV or not.

Goes to show why we have so many stealth taxes when people are easily paying more than the license fee to fund TV, radio, internet and newspapers but moan about the license fee. You'll end up in more trouble if you tried not to pay the stealth license fee.

In fact let's encrypt all TV abolish the advert sleath tax, let me pay for what I want to watch without adverts.

Well you can watch ITV with no adds - install addblocker and signup to STV Player (the scottish version) by "borrowing" some random scottish address and postcode.

HOLA4413

I think its more about the fact its one of the few things left that we get for cheap, i.e. its frustratingly ripe for exploitation.

All the dizzy surreal statist panic over the BBC you get on here is just a fig-leaf.

HOLA4414

Well you can watch ITV with no adds - install addblocker and signup to STV Player (the scottish version) by "borrowing" some random scottish address and postcode.

You can skip the adds, but you still pay for the ads and hence for ITV/C4 etc if you buy any products that are advertised...

HOLA4415

get rid of the licence inspectors trying to prove usage and linking the fee to a database with auto charging.

Or...better still. Shut the parasites down.

The only reason a state brioadvaster exists it to broadcast messages from the state.

The BBC told me yesterday a "tiny minority" does not want the royal family.....

let's have a referrendum and see if that's ACTUALLY TRUE.

I think they might get a shock.

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

HOLA4416

Damn stupid idea....

What about those who live in rented or flats....

Far easier to apply a poll tax on every citizen over the age of 18 £10 a year. Why should the levy always fall on the householder when everyone is at liberty to watch the box.... :)

Seriously BBC should go the sky route and encrypt. If you want it you then have a choice.

It seems the most sensible solution so I can't see why it is never seriously discussed.

Because no one would watch it if it was just another pay to view, the whole idea is to make it special, protected by law, something you have to pay for, and therefore better make use of, the central plank of your viewing habits, that is how they get the state propaganda over, pure scam from start to finish. The only way to rock their boat is if literally millions of people throw away their TV`s, but unfortunately that is probably not going to happen any time soon.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Do you honestly believe the BBC would give up their nice little earner.

The boys at the top must be making a fortune out of a guaranteed income stream...well it was guaranteed till people just5 stopped paying it and switched to the internet.

The British governments solution to anything is never less tax...it's more tax...expect the internet to be heavily taxes eventually.

My sister was unable to sell her £1,100,000 3 bedroom home in Peckham so she has rented it out for £2.6k a month and is buying a bigger more expensive home in the same area.

As soon as it went on I thought to myself who the fck can afford to rent at £2,600 a month well it got taken on the first day of listing and it wasn't a banker or CEO but a...

BBC Employee. Boom boom.

HOLA4419

BBC Employee. Boom boom.

Basil Brush?

FFS. The ideas keep getting stupider. When did television become such a vital necessity that it has to be subsidised by the rich? The BBC is mostly light entertainment with a thin veneer of culture. Nothing that can't be provided elsewhere or by other means these days. A ******ing dinosaur it is. And using a batshit crazy system like council tax to collect money won't even target the right people. It might be a start if they only charge the house owner and leave renters alone.

And there had better be an opt out. I haven't watched live TV for over two years now and am happier without it. I've no interest in supporting it in it's current form.

HOLA4420

My sister was unable to sell her £1,100,000 3 bedroom home in Peckham so she has rented it out for £2.6k a month and is buying a bigger more expensive home in the same area.

As soon as it went on I thought to myself who the fck can afford to rent at £2,600 a month well it got taken on the first day of listing and it wasn't a banker or CEO but a...

BBC Employee. Boom boom.

Peckham, £1.1m

Holy ****

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

You can skip the adds, but you still pay for the ads and hence for ITV/C4 etc if you buy any products that are advertised...

I've had a PVR since 2001. I never watch live TV*. I skip all adverts. I'm aware that some of the things I buy are probably advertised on TV, but the beauty is that I'll never know which ones - because I never watch adverts.

*Edit to add: Just remembered - I always stay up to watch the election results live. On the BBC without adverts though.

Edited by mrtickle