House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

geezer466

Speedbird 2276 Las Vegas.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-34193767

US Federal Aviation Administration spokesman Ian Gregor said the left engine of the Boeing 777-200 caught fire before take-off.

Photo from the Mail..

2C1C2F8800000578-3227162-image-a-5_14417

And one from further away where the flames can be seen on the left side of the aircraft.

2C1A3A3300000578-3227162-image-a-4_14417

The damage isn't shouting out engine fire to me......

The engine could have failed but the explosion caused damage in the wing itself. The investigation will find out but, yes, that photo does superficially make it look as if the engine was not the cause.

Let's hope that we have a press conference today from the aircrew and they tell us what they experienced.

It could be akin to the Challenger disaster - there one of the seals broke and then the hot fuel came out like a flame thrower.

Here, the engine could have had a blade fail, the turbos broke up and ust shuddered to a stop with the resulting pressure swiftly building back through the system breaking a valve, joint, weld, whatever in the fuel lines and, voila, you have a flaming torch eating into the wing and fuselage.

As I said, they will find out quick enough I imagine. The main thing is that, thankfully, no one was badly injured or killed.

There will be questions though. Elsewhere people have commented that if this had happened at altitude then the fuel would have been cut and any fire would have been put out either by extinguishers or by the flow of air. I am not convinced by this as, presumably, the crew shut down the engine as soon as they realised there was a problem. It will be interesting to learn what happened and why.

US Federal Aviation Administration spokesman Ian Gregor said the left engine of the Boeing 777-200 caught fire before take-off.

That is a remarkably swift conclusion to make.

Too swift, in fact.

Guest eight

There will be questions though. Elsewhere people have commented that if this had happened at altitude then the fuel would have been cut and any fire would have been put out either by extinguishers or by the flow of air.

It worked in Memphis Belle.

That is a remarkably swift conclusion to make.

Too swift, in fact.

id be depressed if I was on the left wing too.

Love the way the idiot media is calling the captain a hero.

He (making the assumption the co-pilot did nothing) stopped the plane and shut down the engines...

I think he is. From what I read he was already rolling down the runway - it takes a heck of a lot of skill, experience and balls to slam the brakes on at that point. A moment of hesitation longer and he could have been committed. Another pilot might have continued. They could have found themselves airborne, on one engine with a massive fireball on one wing that they might have been unable to put out. Doesn't bare thinking about.

I think he is. From what I read he was already rolling down the runway - it takes a heck of a lot of skill, experience and balls to slam the brakes on at that point. A moment of hesitation longer and he could have been committed. Another pilot might have continued. They could have found themselves airborne, on one engine with a massive fireball on one wing that they might have been unable to put out. Doesn't bare thinking about.

That's what pilots spend so long in simulators for.

If the plane was at V1 or above the crew would have to take off.

The Captain just did what he was supposed to do. By the book. Nothing heroic (in the true sense) about it.

He has probably trained for this specific event hundreds of times - in simulator and classroom training.

What to do when you have an engine fire just before/during take-off is probably one of the first lessons.

The Captain just did what he was supposed to do. By the book. Nothing heroic (in the true sense) about it.

He has probably trained for this specific event hundreds of times - in simulator and classroom training.

What to do when you have an engine fire just before/during take-off is probably one of the first lessons.

Fires are always best dealt with on the ground.

Guest eight

Steve McQueen did it earlier in 'The War Lover' as did a host of other actors in numerous other WW2 films.

I suppose it defeats the object if you've got to spend ten minutes climbing to a sufficient altitude to begin the dive.

Anyway, scary as this must have been for all concerned, I'd really like a go of one of those bouncy slides.

As I expected:

Henkey, who graduated from the College of Air Training, the now-closed facility once used to train BA pilots, along with two senior first officers, delivered a “textbook response”, according to aviation experts.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/sep/09/british-airways-plane-fire-captain-helped-avert-disaster-42-years-flying-experience