House Price Crash Forum
I Told You So

Strong Retail Sales November

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4530572.stm

There is no consumer slowdown, proof.

I'm sick to death of reading about misery on the high street, although it may be true for some retailers the overall picture really isn't that bad, as the figures now show.

All that is happening is people are spending there money in different places - internet, Tesco's etc etc

Hopefully the BoE haven't been sucked in by the media because the logical response should be to raise rates :D

Just been to my local Currys, Comet, PCWorld and Dixons - there was tumbleweed blowing through these stores in Swansea. Shop assistants were VERY keen to sell anything, something.

One assistant, in store unnamed, commented that some headphones I was looking at were very expensive and suggested that I come back next week... make of that as you will.

I'm sick to death of reading about misery on the high street, although it may be true for some retailers the overall picture really isn't that bad, as the figures now show.

All that is happening is people are spending there money in different places - internet, Tesco's etc etc

Hopefully the BoE haven't been sucked in by the media because the logical response should be to raise rates :D

The article is a bit light on detail. How do sales figures relate to prior year? Are the sales achieved at discount and therefore low margins? Does the increase reported reflect on previous low levels?

These bite-size BBC reports are limited in value.

The article is a bit light on detail. How do sales figures relate to prior year? Are the sales achieved at discount and therefore low margins? Does the increase reported reflect on previous low levels?

These bite-size BBC reports are limited in value.

Good points. These bit-size BBC reports have no value. The BBC are a mouthpiece for New Labour.

I have never seen the shops so empty before Christmas. I do concede the internet is beginning to have a real impact now. But where does this lead in the long run. Empty shops, lack of business rate revenue - some cheap shops with flats above?

Diarrhoea only stops when there's nothing left. Money will continue to splatter all over the high street, because the only thing more traditional than a Christmas turkey is a January credit card bill.

Andrew McP

High Street Sales down 20% YoY

BUT

High Street Profits up 10% YoY - due to cheap China imports!!

Note: Examples above are not factual, but you should get my point - Good at spinning aint I? :lol:

Just been to my local Currys, Comet, PCWorld and Dixons - there was tumbleweed blowing through these stores in Swansea. Shop assistants were VERY keen to sell anything, something.

One assistant, in store unnamed, commented that some headphones I was looking at were very expensive and suggested that I come back next week... make of that as you will.

Currys, Comet, PC World & Dixons operate in markets where there is a competitive online trade for identical items.

From the article:

"Retailers are still having to discount heavily to draw in the shoppers... and the cold weather no doubt played a part."

Sorry, cold weather? It's been pretty mild this year apart form a short cold snap.

The sweet fragrance of dung, methinks. In this age of sophisticated PR, you really need to learn to read between the lines.

Guest Charlie The Tramp

Mrs C dragged me protesting to the local Shopping Mall last Monday. Glad I went, it was fascinating watching the smoke pouring from the CC terminals, Oh dear!

Bought a PAYG mobile phone for £29.99 with five years free evening calls, already have one, but can`t resist a bargain when you can pay by CC. :D

Currys, Comet, PC World & Dixons operate in markets where there is a competitive online trade for identical items.

Actually my brother bought a PC Laptop from Comet, we'd looked extensively on the net via Kelkoo and Froogle for a cheaper price. Cheapest was 2p less than Comet - thought it was worth 2p extra to physically view the laptop before buying!!

If that flimsy bit of evidence counts as "proof" to you, then I suggest you need to raise your standards. And why are you "sick to death"? Vested interests? And as for raising taxes further than they are, I can't think of anything to which that is the "logical response".

You must try harder.

Hope that helps.

Look the whole wealth of the country has shifted and money is being spent elsewhere.

Simple economics is that if it happens too fast then the Economy which is geared toward the money being spent in one place cannot react quickly enough for the shift.

Doesent matter if the money is still there.. just that it isn't where it used to be.

Also, every day different articles

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtm.../ixcitytop.html

Bless....

Id love to see its these rises were REVENUE, or VOLUMES

it seems when something needs to be hidden, you go into vague-ness territory!... this is what this article is!... Very Vague!...

its all very well selling twice as much, but with increasing fixed overheads over and above this increase (be it volume or Revenue). It seems to be to be a bit of a punishing xmas!

Also comparing to a weak November 2004 too!

There is also no mention of these being Like 4 Like sales!...

as in eg,

NEXT 100 stores = £60million sales for 2004

NEXT 120 stores = £61million sales for 2005

But of course, sales have grown haven't they! hahahahaha... wait till the business rates increase by 10%, the electric by 15%, the Gas by 30% and transportation by 10% next year 2006... PMSL

The year of reconing! Believe what you will!... BBC I think not!

High Street Sales down 20% YoY

BUT

High Street Profits up 10% YoY - due to cheap China imports!!

Note: Examples above are not factual, but you should get my point - Good at spinning aint I? :lol:

Whats great is that we remove tax and house prices from inflation figures.

Done.

Now they can race out of control... Costing much.. much.. much,.....more then before.

Done

Then we can all buy cheaper things from China.

Done.

Closing a lot of manufacturing in England

Done.

Sending all our cash abroad.

Done.

Hiring people back into the public sector, paid for by higher taxes

Done

Goods are Cheaper though.

Cool, low inflation..

So its great.

You cannot imagine how I feel when people think we are doing well.

In a decade we will be all working for the local council or government and all of us will be spending a million pounds on studio flats..

Because I am so dumb I can't walk and chew gum at the same time I think England is doing well.

my god..

Please don't let the guy have children.

From the article:

Sorry, cold weather? It's been pretty mild this year apart form a short cold snap.

The sweet fragrance of dung, methinks. In this age of sophisticated PR, you really need to learn to read between the lines.

Excuse me!!!!

I remember being in a LONG thread no more than 3-4 weeks ago critcising the BBC with their report that the cold weather is IMPROVING high street sales. Wish people would make their minds up?

TB

Diarrhoea only stops when there's nothing left. Money will continue to splatter all over the high street, because the only thing more traditional than a Christmas turkey is a January credit card bill.

Andrew McP

Er nice analogy..

Andrew McP

:lol:

many of these stores are suffering from "cyber Monday" when people check prices on high street at weekend, then buy online at discount on Monday. my brother saved £50 buying a printer online this week. and more friends than ever are buying their stuff online. Still money being spent just in different areas. and these figures can not be denied?? Just check any camera/etc and see how much you can save. High street is getting wise to it tho and some are lowering prices. i took print out quote from internet to high street and most stores offered to match it. So someone has big profit margins on this stuff!! if you go to Tottenham Court Rd in London (famous for cameras etc) you get very good deal, get written confirmation then take it to John Lewis and they will match it under their "never knowingly undersold" policy....John Lewis used to match internet prices but stopped few years ago......maybe they will start again if times get tough??

Edited by beenhearingthisforyears

Actually my brother bought a PC Laptop from Comet, we'd looked extensively on the net via Kelkoo and Froogle for a cheaper price. Cheapest was 2p less than Comet - thought it was worth 2p extra to physically view the laptop before buying!!

But was it exactly the same model ??? What they tend to do is offer what appears to be a similar latop but it has a slightly lower specification.

So PC World (Comet, Dixons all part of the same group) offer the Toshiba M50-192 for £699 but every where else has the Toshiba M50-190. The 190 has 60Gb Hard Drive and 1Mb Cache where as the 192 has 40Gb and 512Kb of Cache.

But was it exactly the same model ??? What they tend to do is offer what appears to be a similar latop but it has a slightly lower specification.

So PC World (Comet, Dixons all part of the same group) offer the Toshiba M50-192 for £699 but every where else has the Toshiba M50-190. The 190 has 60Gb Hard Drive and 1Mb Cache where as the 192 has 40Gb and 512Kb of Cache.

Yep it was exactly the same model, same CPU, same memory, same cache same harddrive capacity! I was quite amazed to be honest! So he bought from them - also its easier to send back if it goes wrong, 2 mile drive down the road!

Guest Time 2 raise Interest Rates

So it's official. The VIs and the media are running the country after

all. All those tales of woe back in the summer, they even managed

to fool the BoE into cutting interest rates. I just don't get it. If things

are so bad, how come retail sales have been up for the last three

consecutive months, and are up 1% on the quarter yoy. Don't tell

me, it was the quarter point rate cut in August that spurred everything

back into life. Yeah, right. If they can manage to manipulate the BoE

I don't see them having too much trouble in getting people to believe

house prices will go up forever. It should be fun next year, when rates

start to go up again.

Andrew McP

One of the funniest statements yet! :lol::lol::lol:

The only thing I have seen lately that is almost as funny:

http://www.devilducky.com/media/26599