House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

workingpoor

Paula Radcliffe

http://news.sky.com/story/1548968/paula-radcliffe-devastated-over-doping-claims

Marathon world record holder Paula Radcliffe has "categorically denied" cheating after a parliamentary committee hearing on doping.

Radcliffe issued a strongly worded and lengthy statement after the head of the Culture, Media and Sport Select Committee appeared to raise suspicions about a prominent British marathon runner during the questioning of David Kenworthy, chairman of UKAD, the UK's national anti-doping agency.

Paula Radcliffe tweet

Radcliffe also took to Twitter to deny the existence of a superinjunction

The parliamentary inquiry into doping in athletics was launched after The Sunday Times reported last month on controversial analysis which suggested the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) had ignored hundreds of suspicious blood tests.

Radcliffe, who also denied ever taking out a superjunction to block any disclosures, said: "Whilst I have the greatest of respect for anyone responsibly trying to uncover cheating in sport, and of course for Parliament itself, it is profoundly disappointing that the cloak of Parliamentary privilege has been used to effectively implicate me, tarnishing my reputation, with full knowledge that I have no recourse against anyone for repeating what has been said at the committee hearing."

When Labour were in power, and she failed to complete that race, I chuckled reading this:

"Jack Straw immediately flew out to Athens to assess the scale of the Paula Radcliffe disaster for himself"

The MP who said the controversial words (but never named Radcliffe) has just been on the Today program..

Said the media misreported what he said and qualified his remarks to include all athletes disabled and otherwise....

http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/gerard-hartmann-i-would-swear-on-my-life-paula-radcliffe-is-clean-31512674.html

Gerard Hartmann: I would swear on my life Paula Radcliffe is clean

Hartmann, the Limerick-based physical therapist who worked with Radcliffe for 14 years, says there is "absolutely no evidence she has taken drugs" and that abnormal blood readings are a regular occurrence among elite athletes.

"I would bet my house and all that I have that Paula Radcliffe never took a performance-enhancing drug in her whole athletics career," said Hartmann.

Ms Radcliffe has said she is concerned her children google her name and "drug cheat" comes up

I'd be more worried about them discovering footage of mummy taking a dump on the high street on live telly - but maybe that's just me

I remember a young early 20 something Paula Radcliffe waving a banner condemning drug cheats. At the time I thought ah well just another British also ran with sour grapes.

How wrong I was, this gangly woman with a floppy head that nodded all over the shop (and was then a no hoper) turned out to be some talent.

What exactly is blood doping? Has it got anything to do with physical drugs?

Just wonder whether the scientists have it right on casting the suspicion so wide.

Somebody like Radcliffe would be bound to throw up some odd blood results. If you have just become the fittest woman on the planet, tortured your body to sub 10% body fat(unnatural for a woman), can't hold onto to your poos, got the six pack. Jeeze it would be bloody amazing if she didn't have odd blood results.

Radcliffe cheat, no way.

What exactly is blood doping? Has it got anything to do with physical drugs?

I think it's when they take blood in advance, extract the red blood cells, store them for a time, then put them back in the athlete on race day to (almost literally) turbo charge their circulatory system. There are probably other processes too.

I think it's when they take blood in advance, extract the red blood cells, store them for a time, then put them back in the athlete on race day to (almost literally) turbo charge their circulatory system. There are probably other processes too.

It's not technically taking performance enhancing drugs though is it? There doesn't seem to be any "physical" drug in use?

It's not technically taking performance enhancing drugs though is it? There doesn't seem to be any "physical" drug in use?

No, that's why it has the "blood" qualifier, if you add chemicals it's just called "doping". It does seem like cheating to me.

Of course she hasn't cheated, she's British, no British athlete would ever cheat....... :rolleyes:.

As an aside, a BBC journalist recently described Mo Farah as "The greatest athlete that Britain has ever produced", conveniently forgetting that Farah was born in Somalia.

Of course she hasn't cheated, she's British, no British athlete would ever cheat....... :rolleyes:.

As an aside, a BBC journalist recently described Mo Farah as "The greatest athlete that Britain has ever produced", conveniently forgetting that Farah was born in Somalia.

And that the fact he now domiciles in the US to avoid British taxes.....

As a young no hoper she was a crusader against drug cheats from Eastern Europe especially. I think this is why Seb Coe has staked his job on her being clean. Radcliffe cheating is about as likely as the pope hiding 12 prostitutes in the Vatican for personal use.

I'm guessing she has kicked up so much fuss because she is innocent.

As a young no hoper she was a crusader against drug cheats from Eastern Europe especially. I think this is why Seb Coe has staked his job on her being clean. Radcliffe cheating is about as likely as the pope hiding 12 prostitutes in the Vatican for personal use.

I'm guessing she has kicked up so much fuss because she is innocent.

I've no interest in what she has or has not done, I was just pointing out that in the eyes of our jingoistic press a Brit can do no wrong.