House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Oliver Sutton

Cyprus

Concrete and car dominated jungle.

Not that cheap either. Prices similar to germany or austria with a quarter of the quality. At least 100% overpriced.

Dirty, and scruffy with bland architecture and scenery.

Way too hot. Obviously be far nicer in winter.

My mate "Tony the Bubble" gets on very well with "Mehmet" and the Turks at the kebab shop. :blink: When you are a long way from a "conflict" it makes no sense.

Guest eight

Concrete and car dominated jungle.

Not that cheap either. Prices similar to germany or austria with a quarter of the quality. At least 100% overpriced.

Dirty, and scruffy with bland architecture and scenery.

That's exactly what I found on my one and only visit there. Bit depressing going in the sea to "cool off" only to find it's the temperature of a warm bath.

I enjoyed visiting Paphos a few years back.

Was it "paphetic"? :wacko:

Exactly. Why do people go there in mid summer! The locals think the northern Europeans (well, Brits and Germans) are mad. It is much nicer in the southern Med in late spring or early autumn - ok, more likely to rain, but it seldom keeps on raining that time of year. And you get foliage & flowers & stuff, not the burnt brown most people see on their hols. But people don't go then because you just don't.

I think many (possibly most) people don't enjoy their holidays very much, but society has convinced them that holidays in X,Y,Z are nice, so holidays in X,Y,Z is what they get.

The Turkish side is pretty cheap, the Greek side not at all.

Best time to go is spring or autumn (summer too hot as you say).

The "new" areas are a bit rubbish and characterless but Paphos and some of the Turkish cities are ok.

If you're not into beaches, crap trinket shops and bars/clubs then the only thing really worth going for are all of the old Roman temples and sanctuaries (Apollo etc). Entry is cheap and they are a great place to take a packed lunch and enjoy the views.

http://www.visitcyprus.com/wps/portal/!ut/p/c4/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3hXN0fHYE8TIwMLtzBXA6NQ48DAoBAjQwMvE_2CbEdFAGNxuiI!/?WCM_GLOBAL_CONTEXT=/English__en/CTO+B2C/Tourist+Information/Culture/Sites_and_Monuments/The_Sanctuary_and_Temple_of_Apollo_Hylates_at_Kourion