House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dinker

Petition To Stop Immigration

It is one of only 6 petitions in the whole currently active system that has reached over 100,000

There is a caveat that they dont have to debate petitions with certain political agendas.

The wording of the stop immigration petition is amateurish and a bit non sensical. As said already it needed to be alot better written to capture the wider more moderate percentage of the population.

It is one of only 6 petitions in the whole currently active system that has reached over 100,000

There is a caveat that they dont have to debate petitions with certain political agendas.

The wording of the stop immigration petition is amateurish and a bit non sensical. As said already it needed to be alot better written to capture the wider more moderate percentage of the population.

I agree that the wording is... dubious.

That said, I can see that it's simply an escalation. After repeatedly seeing the Mrs Duffys (and their reasonable questions) get dismissed as 'bigots', the language becomes more strident and the arguments become dubious. And yet over 100,000 people sign the petition.

It's not a good trend.

I agree that the wording is not very good but I signed it along with another on similar lines mainly because the do-gooders are drowning out any kind of reasoned debate or logic over the situation. I want my voice heard, even if it is a bit mis-represented.

I just took it as a counter petition to the other one.

If we argued about the finer points of the wording then there would be dozens of petitions and the main counter thrust would be diluted.

There had to be some counter to the "more refugees" petition, but it is a shame that the one which gained traction was badly worded.

I agree that the wording is not very good but I signed it along with another on similar lines mainly because the do-gooders are drowning out any kind of reasoned debate or logic over the situation. I want my voice heard, even if it is a bit mis-represented.

The problem with it though is that with the wording as it is it's an easy target for dismissing anyone who signs it, and if enough do it'll all you'll get is "how unfortunate we've got so many unpleasant people in this country." It overshadows the main message, as well as implying specific motivations for signing it. In short it could do more harm than good.

Just going a bit off-topic why is "do-gooder" an insult these days? What's wrong with doing good? Of course it's usually directed at the ones who think they are but are doing the opposite in their half-wit ignorance, but it sounds a bit like a criticism of the sentiment.

As said already it needed to be alot better written to capture the wider more moderate percentage of the population.

Had it been so written, sadly, it would not have reached over 100k signees.

To get something at that level of penetration it needs to be extremely emotive rather than pragmatic. Oh and it has to USE CAPS to make its points.

I signed it and i'm well up for what it means.

Where is this "footage of foriegners destroying british soldiers graves" they mention? i don't recall seeing that on the news.

I'm not doubting it just i can't recall seeing it anywhere.

Had it been so written, sadly, it would not have reached over 100k signees.

To get something at that level of penetration it needs to be extremely emotive rather than pragmatic. Oh and it has to USE CAPS to make its points.

Alas it leaves me reluctant to do anything which will tar me by association with the sort of people who only respond to that. I'm all for emotional (different from emotive?) as a reason for doing things, but writing in a way that makes it look like there are barely two brain cells knocking together just depresses me - a horribly serious issue that just seems to be getting two groups of idiots knocking heads together.

edit: apologies to people here who have signed it anyway for the implication that you're a bunch of idiots too

Alas it leaves me reluctant to do anything which will tar me by association with the sort of people who only respond to that. I'm all for emotional (different from emotive?) as a reason for doing things, but writing in a way that makes it look like there are barely two brain cells knocking together just depresses me - a horribly serious issue that just seems to be getting two groups of idiots knocking heads together.

edit: apologies to people here who have signed it anyway for the implication that you're a bunch of idiots too

Being reasonable will not achieve anything. It virtually guarantees being ignored.

While all the decent people are busy being reasonable, the nut cases are busy making the rules.

Remember if you want to get a cartoon drawing competition cancelled it`s best to be a rabid, god bothering psychopath threatening beheadings, and Bob`s your uncle.

The problem with it though is that with the wording as it is it's an easy target for dismissing anyone who signs it, and if enough do it'll all you'll get is "how unfortunate we've got so many unpleasant people in this country." It overshadows the main message, as well as implying specific motivations for signing it. In short it could do more harm than good.

Just going a bit off-topic why is "do-gooder" an insult these days? What's wrong with doing good? Of course it's usually directed at the ones who think they are but are doing the opposite in their half-wit ignorance, but it sounds a bit like a criticism of the sentiment.

Don't be a "doo gooder". Actually do some good!

Where is this "footage of foriegners destroying british soldiers graves" they mention? i don't recall seeing that on the news.

Not the sort of thing the BBC would broadcast....

Video is some years old, the cemetery look authentic there are Commonwealth war graves in Libya from WW2 North African campaign...

Some foreign equivalent of this splendid fellow?

Laing_220_1516983f.jpg

It will be lumped in with and considered the other petition I expect.

Personally I consider the stop immigration petition idiotic and objectionable. I support neither petition.

I quite agree. No-one wants to stop immigration. Uncontrolled immigration, yes, but all immigration? No. That's a massive difference and one UKIP really needs to hammer home.

Being reasonable will not achieve anything. It virtually guarantees being ignored.

While all the decent people are busy being reasonable, the nut cases are busy making the rules.

Remember if you want to get a cartoon drawing competition cancelled it`s best to be a rabid, god bothering psychopath threatening beheadings, and Bob`s your uncle.

Sure, but there are ways and means and sounding like you should be ignored and another problem yourself isn't one of them.

I quite agree. No-one wants to stop immigration. Uncontrolled immigration, yes, but all immigration? No. That's a massive difference and one UKIP really needs to hammer home.

Not every single person but down to a completely negligable level please, so the net rate is very much on the "leaving" side (whether that's due to immigrants returning or British people leaving isn't something I'm bothered about).

The petition's idiotic and plays into the hands of the left to such an extent that the cynical part of me thinks they set it up. It can be shot down in flames on so many counts not least it's hysterical language that displays no difference between mass immigration & controlled immigration. A shame.

The petition's idiotic and plays into the hands of the left to such an extent that the cynical part of me thinks they set it up. It can be shot down in flames on so many counts not least it's hysterical language that displays no difference between mass immigration & controlled immigration. A shame.

I thought exactly the same - but wondered if I was being a bit tinfoily

I thought exactly the same - but wondered if I was being a bit tinfoily

Wear your tinfoil with pride! Pretty much by "disagreeing" with the wholesale import of unemployed youths, I have have become a Nazi and a ricist, but I'm not! :unsure:

Yes exactly my feelings.....Mr Pin.

The biggest change we`ll see is the change in the minds of British people.

Add to this an unexpected crash in the world economy and we will indeed be living in interesting times....

Wear your tinfoil with pride! Pretty much by "disagreeing" with the wholesale import of unemployed youths, I have have become a Nazi and a ricist, but I'm not! :unsure:

Can I have one too? Nasty cappuccino drinking marxists from well heeled parts of London called me exactly the same!

Probably was written by some leftie looking at discrediting any form of opposition, even if a new petition was written it would probably be diluted now.

However some good news on the petitions front, the petition about having no confidence in Jeremy Hunt has been ok'd and is going to Parliament