House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MrPin

Diesel Is Cheaper Than Unleaded

It used to be cheaper, then the Government put extra tax on it, because it became popular.

Diesel 1.08, 95 Unleaded 1.12. Now it is cheaper again. :wacko:

It used to be cheaper, then the Government put extra tax on it, because it became popular.

Diesel 1.08, 95 Unleaded 1.12. Now it is cheaper again. :wacko:

aren't petrol and diesel both taxed at 57.95p per litre?

Wondered the same.

Falling demand for diesel? More people buying petrol cars again?

Perhaps people are realising that the upfront cost of diesel no longer always justifies the slightly greener/economic fuel efficiency credentials?

Wondered the same.

Falling demand for diesel? More people buying petrol cars again?

Perhaps people are realising that the upfront cost of diesel no longer always justifies the slightly greener/economic fuel efficiency credentials?

Remember fuel demand is fairly international - Diesel prices in the UK will depend on commercial transport demand in Europe (diesel isn't as popular in the rest of Europe) - the lower price probably reflects the ongoing recession in much of Europe.

[and this will be largely true for the lower petrol prices as well - so I guess it suggests 'haulage is more affected by recession in Europe than personal transport' or something]

[but you're right about petrol car sales - diesel cars outsold petrol from 2010, but from about 12 months ago petrol cars have been outselling diesel]

Remember fuel demand is fairly international - Diesel prices in the UK will depend on commercial transport demand in Europe (diesel isn't as popular in the rest of Europe) - the lower price probably reflects the ongoing recession in much of Europe.

Good point.. makes a lot of sense

I may have got mixed up - but I do remember when travelling a lot when younger - that everywhere I went diesel appeared to be cheaper than petrol - the UK was the exception.

Ring true with anyone else ?

I may have got mixed up - but I do remember when travelling a lot when younger - that everywhere I went diesel appeared to be cheaper than petrol - the UK was the exception.

Seem to remember that being true in France some years ago.. presumed it was down to varying tax regimes as opposed to true cost though

koala_bear is the person to ask.

I understand a lot of diesel refining capacity has come on line in Asia, producing fuel in a more efficient manner than other plant designed for petrol and subsequently retuned for diesel production can manage. I expect this has pushed costs down.

US 'driving season' traditionally sees higher demand for petrol, which I understand is where a fraction of UK production ends up. Guess this may push the price higher.

It was cheaper in the UK at one time. Always seemed to be cheaper in France. A good reason to fill up at Calais, which I did many times, after all that wine is heavy.

koala_bear is the person to ask.I understand a lot of diesel refining capacity has come on line in Asia, producing fuel in a more efficient manner than other plant designed for petrol and subsequently retuned for diesel production can manage. I expect this has pushed costs down.US 'driving season' traditionally sees higher demand for petrol, which I understand is where a fraction of UK production ends up. Guess this may push the price higher.

in addition to this, it may be that they are also pumping more crude that has heavier fractions that are refined into diesel.

i have no idea whether this is the case or not at the moment.

in addition to this, it may be that they are also pumping more crude that has heavier fractions that are refined into diesel.

I don't know either. I just used to get the stuff out of the ground/sea. No idea of the economics of refining! :wacko:

I asked a guy from shell once about increasing demand for diesel. He told me the cost was more about the supply side, depending on the type of oil that was being extracted. This might tie into oil prices but Brent and West Texas are both down massively.

True. Diesel was far cheaper even before the price here went up in 2005. (Just 6 weeks after I'd bought my first diesel Landcruiser.) In Australia at the time, it was the same in AU$ as it was in £ (where there were $3 to the £) and the same in as in £. That's only ten years ago. Driving through Spain next month so will report back on the price when I get to the villa.

True. Diesel was far cheaper even before the price here went up in 2005. (Just 6 weeks after I'd bought my first diesel Landcruiser.) In Australia at the time, it was the same in AU$ as it was in £ (where there were $3 to the £) and the same in as in £. That's only ten years ago. Driving through Spain next month so will report back on the price when I get to the villa.

Are you going with Sancho Panzer, Miss Donkey Hotey? I am a "student of literature". :blink:

Doesn't work that way. Back in the olden days the refining of crude oil was by distillation, so you'd get fixed % of diesel, petrol etc depending on the input. This is why you'd get certain products essentially free which developed certain markets - eg Rockefeller marketing the useless 'gasoline' in the 1900s - they used to throw it away... Since the 60s they've used cracking etc and can now pretty much get whatever % diesel, petrol etc that is demanded by the market.

see here. don't know how accurate it is, though.

[i drove from UK to southern Italy last year in a diesel - the change in price as you went over the Alps was very noticeable]

Are you going with Sancho Panzer, Miss Donkey Hotey? I am a "student of literature". :blink:

I can tell your literary bona fides are genuine, Mr P, as befits a man so started his own religion. :blink: I will have a sidekick to pay the motorway tolls as it's difficult from a right hand drive car. I'd need a left hand around four feet in length to do it myself, though I'd love to go on my own. Not sure Sancho Panza is available! :rolleyes:

I can tell your literary bona fides are genuine, Mr P, as befits a man so started his own religion. :blink: I will have a sidekick to pay the motorway tolls as it's difficult from a right hand drive car. I'd need a left hand around four feet in length to do it myself, though I'd love to go on my own. Not sure Sancho Panza is available! :rolleyes:

When I drive in foreign countries, I usually have a girlfriend with very long arms, like a gibbon! It helps with the tollbooths! :wacko:

I think there are probably three main factors in our falling Diesel prices:

1/ global demand, which is down.

2/ crude oil price, which is down.

3/ cost of production, which as I have understood it is lower for Diesel so it should be cheaper than petrol.

Take these three factors together and you have falling prices which is a shame because it will encourage more people to drive further and clog our wretched road system up. On a more serious note, Diesel is almost always significantly cheaper on the continent which is why the French and German car industry have invested so much in making Diesel cars more acceptable. Add to this the greater distances our continental cousins drive and then suddenly Diesels make much more sense.

koala_bear is the person to ask.

I understand a lot of diesel refining capacity has come on line in Asia, producing fuel in a more efficient manner than other plant designed for petrol and subsequently retuned for diesel production can manage. I expect this has pushed costs down.

US 'driving season' traditionally sees higher demand for petrol, which I understand is where a fraction of UK production ends up. Guess this may push the price higher.

Vis a vis 'driving season' seasonal demands on diesel too. More in winter, less in summer. The price difference in recent times has tended to increase in the winter and close in the summer.

I remember driving my economical petrol car across to my in-laws in 2008. I picked refuelling countries very carefully. It was Uk, (skip France and Belgium) Luxembourg, (skip Germany), Czech Republic, Poland, Czech Republic, (skip Germany), Austria, Czech Republic, Germany, (skip Belgium and France), Uk.

When I drive in foreign countries, I usually have a girlfriend with very long arms, like a gibbon! It helps with the tollbooths! :wacko:

If I go on my own I always fly and hire locally. That way I'm on the right (left) side of the car for the tolls. I do prefer to take the ferry and drive though.

If I go on my own I always fly and hire locally. That way I'm on the right (left) side of the car for the tolls. I do prefer to take the ferry and drive though.

The advantage of that is you look "local", and when you go around the roundabout the wrong way, nobody notices!