House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ideas For A Pet

I'm after a pet which will be entertaining and not need too much looking after.

The following are out for various reasons...

Cat

Dog

Fish

Bird

Any suggestions? We have small garden so chickens are out.

I like the idea of a tortoise... Not sure why!

Cat

Dog

Fish

Bird

Sounds like you have ruled out many of the most popular.

Left are gerbils and hamsters (they do not live very long, so good pets if you find out you don't like it), and they are a bit entertaining - kids can normally pick them up etc.

The one thing to be careful of is a rabbit. They live for ages. Many kids get one at about 10, and they can live 12 years or so, which is 4 years past when the kid leaves for uni.

Left are gerbils and hamsters (they do not live very long, so good pets if you find out you don't like it), and they are a bit entertaining - kids can normally pick them up etc.

The one thing to be careful of is a rabbit. They live for ages. Many kids get one at about 10, and they can live 12 years or so, which is 4 years past when the kid leaves for uni.

Rabbits are great!

Not if you have a decent recipe book.

I have also heard good things about pet rats.

Not enough to want to get one myself you understand, but still good.

They are very clever. Used to be popular back in the 80s. Don't think people like the sound of "RAT" though, as they imagine drains and Bubolic Plague. Really pretty clean animals, and don't stink like mice, who are not so clever.

Cat

Dog

Fish

Bird

+1 on don't bother. But if you must, a Guinea pig makes an agreeable companion. Docile yet strangely engaging, you can feed them on grass if you have a lawn and they will survive for days on a bunch of hay, guinea pig muesli and water if you need to leave them. Reasonably long lived for rodents as well.

+1 on don't bother. But if you must, a Guinea pig makes an agreeable companion. Docile yet strangely engaging, you can feed them on grass if you have a lawn and they will survive for days on a bunch of hay, guinea pig muesli and water if you need to leave them. Reasonably long lived for rodents as well.

Aye, they're OK, and not too much trouble.

How about a hedgehog box with a camera in it?

No need to do anything and everyone will think you're a hero for looking after poor woodland critters.

Some rabbits can make good house pets. You can house train them and they can even be affectionate.

Obviously, cats are the best pets by a mile though.

Rats make great pets - and can be easily tamed/trained. I had one which would come out from wherever it was hiding if I called it (I'd regularly give it the run of the house).

Hamsters are very docile - basically they do nothing all day and they don't outstay their welcome either (live about 2 years). Gerbils are good - not quite as trainable as rats, but good if you are put off by the mostly hairless tails of rats.

Often fancied a guinea pig or a ferret. But I no longer want a caged animal for entertainment/company. I like both cats and dogs - but neither quite hit the spot for me (cats because of their wildlife killing ways, dogs because of their neediness).

How about a hedgehog box with a camera in it?

No need to do anything and everyone will think you're a hero for looking after poor woodland critters.

Not a bad idea. Nowadays people have 6 foot high panel fences which keeps wildlife out. When mine blew down, I had it replaced. I should have grown a hedge, and had the benefit of all the wildlife that likes such things. :wacko:

Some rabbits can make good house pets. You can house train them and they can even be affectionate.

Obviously, cats are the best pets by a mile though.

Not surprising. Rabbits are sociable animals, and rather clean. They will poo in one corner. And it's only little pellets, not as bad as cat sh1t.

Axolotls seem like fun.

The Isle of Wight is stuck in the Cambrian period!

I had rodents as pets as a child and they are rewarding.

Hamsters look very cute and cuddly, but can be bad-tempered and I was bitten by several. They only have tiny teeth but they are surprisingly sharp. Most hamsters have to be kept alone as they will fight to the death.

Gerbils are IMO more entertaining and need to be kept in pairs. They are more interactive and fun to watch and one of mine was incredibly tame. On the other hand they can move like greased lightning and need to be handled very carefully.

Rats also need to be kept in pairs as they are also social animals. They are demonstrably intelligent and probably the most interactive.

You could also consider a pair of degus, I never had those so I don't know how they are to handle.

As you go through the list above, the cage size that you need increases. I found keeping them in a large aquarium is the best option (not the degus) with a deep filling so they can burrow, because they have a tendency to gnaw at the bars of a cage, hamsters can spend hours doing this, and it makes a lot of noise.

I had rodents as pets as a child and they are rewarding.

Hamsters look very cute and cuddly, but can be bad-tempered and I was bitten by several. They only have tiny teeth but they are surprisingly sharp. Most hamsters have to be kept alone as they will fight to the death.

Gerbils are IMO more entertaining and need to be kept in pairs. They are more interactive and fun to watch and one of mine was incredibly tame. On the other hand they can move like greased lightning and need to be handled very carefully.

Rats also need to be kept in pairs as they are also social animals. They are demonstrably intelligent and probably the most interactive.

You could also consider a pair of degus, I never had those so I don't know how they are to handle.

As you go through the list above, the cage size that you need increases. I found keeping them in a large aquarium is the best option (not the degus) with a deep filling so they can burrow, because they have a tendency to gnaw at the bars of a cage, hamsters can spend hours doing this, and it makes a lot of noise.

I was about to suggest Degu, we had a pair (gismo and diavlo) and only got rid of them because we moved house and didn't have anywhere suitable for 1m3 cage. The whole family cried when we gave them away. Fantastic little animals.

I was about to suggest Degu, we had a pair (gismo and diavlo) and only got rid of them because we moved house and didn't have anywhere suitable for 1m3 cage. The whole family cried when we gave them away. Fantastic little animals.

I've never heard of them! I just like rats!