House Price Crash Forum

6 Dead As Rally Car Kills Spectators

interestrateripoff

HOLA441
Horror at Spanish rally race as car veers off track and ploughs into the crowd at high speed, killing six including TWO pregnant women and an eight-year-old child
2C01CE7D00000578-0-image-a-22_1441486284

The victims were struck by the race car when its driver - reported to be local man Sergio Tabeayo - lost control during the La Coruña Rally, in the Spanish municipality of Carral in the north west of the country yesterday. Footage of the crash shows the moment the car skided across the dirt track before ploughing into a group of roughly 20 spectators (main), sending them flying into the air. Two pregnant women and an eight-year-old child have both been confirmed to be among the six people killed. Sixteen people were injured, six seriously. The race was immediately suspended in the aftermath, with police warning that the death toll is likely to rise. Emergency services remained on the scene overnight, supporting the victims and their families.

Very tragic, but amazing more don't die watching these events as some spectators are crazy where they position themselves.

HOLA442
HOLA443

Many moons ago I was a stage commander on some of the Welsh sections of the Lombard RAC rally. Part of the 'perk' was to drive the course before the competitors had a go. It was obvious to us where the danger points were and we would spend hours before the race started telling people where not to stand (behind the acceleration point after a bend on gravel was a classic). People would rarely listen. Once the first car came through and a few got hit by flying rocks they moved off. There are only so many times you can tell Sunday racers that the outside of a bend with a car coming at you at 130 mph on gravel is a disaster waiting to happen. Likewise after a hump bridge. Classic places for cars to fall off the track but again the spectators knew best.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

As they rally on public roads, there is nothing you can do to stop this other than banning rallying, which wont happen as road rallying is massively popular in many European countries particularly Ireland, France, Finland and Spain.

And technically they are not race cars. They are road legal cars in a time trial.

This may be a stupid question - but how come speeding and dangerous driving rules do not apply to these 'races' ?

HOLA447

Many moons ago I was a stage commander on some of the Welsh sections of the Lombard RAC rally. Part of the 'perk' was to drive the course before the competitors had a go. It was obvious to us where the danger points were and we would spend hours before the race started telling people where not to stand (behind the acceleration point after a bend on gravel was a classic). People would rarely listen. Once the first car came through and a few got hit by flying rocks they moved off. There are only so many times you can tell Sunday racers that the outside of a bend with a car coming at you at 130 mph on gravel is a disaster waiting to happen. Likewise after a hump bridge. Classic places for cars to fall off the track but again the spectators knew best.

Yes, many moons ago I would traipse all over the country with my ex and his rally team and was always shocked by the idiocy of some spectators. To get to many of the stages to watch the action you'd have to tromp through the woods and you'd pass numerous warning signs warning the public but they seemed oblivious to the dangers.

My son races and was down at the Brighton speed trials yesterday and is competing in a hill climb today though somewhat handicapped with a blown turbo.

The club he belongs to is dying a death because they are reluctant to put on events which attract large numbers of spectators because of the safety implications and cost.

HOLA448
HOLA449

As they rally on public roads, there is nothing you can do to stop this other than banning rallying, which wont happen as road rallying is massively popular in many European countries particularly Ireland, France, Finland and Spain.

And technically they are not race cars. They are road legal cars in a time trial.

I don't know about now but when I was involved they raced on private roads - mainly Forestry commission and place like Longleat. The cars did need to be driven on public roads between stages but there were severe fines for speeding on public roads. IIRC they were timed and anyone arriving early was automatically penalised.

HOLA4410

I don't know about now but when I was involved they raced on private roads - mainly Forestry commission and place like Longleat. The cars did need to be driven on public roads between stages but there were severe fines for speeding on public roads. IIRC they were timed and anyone arriving early was automatically penalised.

Yes, that's how I remember things. I always enjoyed going to Cirencester Park.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Make them do it over water.

It's not quite the same though, is it? Spectators at a rally are aware (or at least should be) that there is a risk that they might be caught up in an accident if a car should leave the course. The motor sport equivalent of Shoreham- of a vehicle completely leaving the bounds of the event and injuring or killing total bystanders - well I'm not going to claim that it's never happened, but this must be the closest to it.

Even then I'm not sure if that track is public land or within the bounds of the circuit.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

It's not quite the same though, is it? Spectators at a rally are aware (or at least should be) that there is a risk that they might be caught up in an accident if a car should leave the course. The motor sport equivalent of Shoreham- of a vehicle completely leaving the bounds of the event and injuring or killing total bystanders - well I'm not going to claim that it's never happened, but this must be the closest to it.

Even then I'm not sure if that track is public land or within the bounds of the circuit.

No but it shows that low energy cars are just as good as high energy jets at killing unprotected spectators. If the rally is not on public roads then surely the owners of the private roads and the event holders have the same duty of care as say F1 to protect spectators being at least required to put up barriers and warning signs. As was discussed on the Shoreham aircraft thread ordinary members of the public tend be extraordinarily poor at judging the real risk of events.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

As was discussed on the Shoreham aircraft thread ordinary members of the public tend be extraordinarily poor at judging the real risk of events.

Considering how many people don't get hurt I don't think that they are. The people who are extraordinarily poor at judging the real risks are usually the ones who harp on about safety to the nth degree and act like the odds are against you coming out alive every time you go down to the shops.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Considering how many people don't get hurt I don't think that they are. The people who are extraordinarily poor at judging the real risks are usually the ones who harp on about safety to the nth degree and act like the odds are against you coming out alive every time you go down to the shops.

The media love spectacular tragedies which is why acres of column space were devoted to photographs showing the Shoreham air crash from every angle. More mundane deaths just do not attract the attention which is why so much time is devoted to air show accidents and crashes at motor racing events and not to the large numbers of people who die each year from simply falling off ladders.

HOLA4421

These rich racing driver, champagne Charlies, driving wherever they like, in road cars, with no safety measures whatsoever. Would this be allowed outside my house? I assume so. Should be banned. /workingpoor

You forgot "Hooray Henries"

As i mentioned in the Shoreham thread rally / race cars are fitted with sealed fuel cells not filled fuel tanks that can split open and combust.

They have to conform to PIAA spec with autonfuel cut offs and plumbed in onboard fire extinguisher systems, multi point roll cages etc, they are not vintage jets without modern self sealing fuel tanks. (it costs a considerable ammount to get a rally car up to the required safety spec to compete)

Also the police have quoted the car as travelling way to fast and out of control.

The spectators and the vehicle should not have been allowed to be in such close proximity.

RIP to all those who lost their lives.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

I am pretty certain they race on public roads in many countries. Unless they build villages and farms on private roads. I honestly have no idea who owns the roads, but they have road signs and village names, so i assume they are public owned.

HOLA4425

Archived