House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
the_duke_of_hazzard

Housing Data Sources

I've automated the collection of LR data to a database, but want to expand my database to other sources of information for centralised analysis.

I have some ideas for data sources (eg Rightmove), but does anyone have any suggestions for data they'd like to see available/included?

Also, if anyone wants to collaborate on the collection of data, PM me. or mail me at themortgagemeter1@gmail.com

For the techies, I have LR collected daily to a postgres db running on a docker container and exposed as a service, and plan to do similar with the others.

If you're looking at individual sold prices, all the Usual Suspects (like Rightmove/Zoopla) source it from the land registry. You've nothing to gain by re-mining the same data more than once.

Pie in the sky, I know, but it'd be good to see original asking prices alongside sold prices. (Well, except during bubbly sealed bid periods. )

I'd particularly enjoy seeing the one near here that went on the market for £5m (very up themselves ex Grand Designs couple) and finally sold for £2.83m.

Pie in the sky, I know, but it'd be good to see original asking prices alongside sold prices. (Well, except during bubbly sealed bid periods. )

I'd particularly enjoy seeing the one near here that went on the market for £5m (very up themselves ex Grand Designs couple) and finally sold for £2.83m.

There is already a way to do this by manipulating the URL's in RM, I typed up the instructions a few years ago as it kept being asked. I'll have a search later.

edit: Here you go, think this is what you're after:

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/193342-is-it-possible-to-compare-rightmove-asking-prices-to-sold-prices/?p=909394634

Edited by pl1

Property Bee and https://houseprices.io/ will acheive that

I've automated the collection of LR data to a database, but want to expand my database to other sources of information for centralised analysis.

I have some ideas for data sources (eg Rightmove), but does anyone have any suggestions for data they'd like to see available/included?

Also, if anyone wants to collaborate on the collection of data, PM me. or mail me at themortgagemeter1@gmail.com

For the techies, I have LR collected daily to a postgres db running on a docker container and exposed as a service, and plan to do similar with the others.

Hi. As long time lurking said, I run houseprices.io which is based on the Land Registry prices paid data, but this the data that they release monthly as a CSV file mind you. What is it you're picking up daily?

It would be very nice to combine this with asking prices but the major listings sites have this data sewn up, with policies of not allowing search engines in to see it, and even then its rare that the full street address is included in the public listing, so cross referencing it with the LR data is not straight forward. However I have found its possible for the majority of sales to map these to listings (using listings that happen to have been archived by the property-bee plugin) where the street names combined with the prices and dates give a high degree of certainty its the same property, so I was able to produce a local 'delusion index' using this (it was about 7% if I recall, but this was a few years ago now). I was considering adding a function to houseprices.io where you could upload (donate?) your property-bee data in order to receive an automatically calculated delusion index for your area. Don't know if that's something anyone would be interested in? Better still it would be great to get hold of property-bee's own central database and do this wholesale.

Hi. As long time lurking said, I run houseprices.io which is based on the Land Registry prices paid data, but this the data that they release monthly as a CSV file mind you. What is it you're picking up daily?

It would be very nice to combine this with asking prices but the major listings sites have this data sewn up, with policies of not allowing search engines in to see it, and even then its rare that the full street address is included in the public listing, so cross referencing it with the LR data is not straight forward. However I have found its possible for the majority of sales to map these to listings (using listings that happen to have been archived by the property-bee plugin) where the street names combined with the prices and dates give a high degree of certainty its the same property, so I was able to produce a local 'delusion index' using this (it was about 7% if I recall, but this was a few years ago now). I was considering adding a function to houseprices.io where you could upload (donate?) your property-bee data in order to receive an automatically calculated delusion index for your area. Don't know if that's something anyone would be interested in? Better still it would be great to get hold of property-bee's own central database and do this wholesale.

Have you approached PB ? as this would be a great, they do/did have some sort of deal going with netherhouseprice which gave sold prices for the postcode but its seems to be defunct now http://property-bee.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12750 so between you and PB you have asking price and sold price there could be something in it for both parties

Edit: ahh the netherhouseprice PB bit is still running but seems a bit hit and miss

Edited by long time lurking