House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ghostly

The Video Games Thread

There was a good bit of games chat in the cheap gaming pc thread (http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/193849-time-to-buildbuy-a-cheap-gaming-pc/) so in an effort not to clutter up that thread I thought I'd start a new one dedicated to gaming. All formats and ages of game welcome. Tell us what you're currently playing, what games your're looking forward to or any other random gaming musings or shenanigans.

After my stealth failure in MGS V I decided to buy Project Cars since it looks more like my bag. Being a c0cky bugger I decided to jump straight into this:

2015-09-05_000018mb71.jpg

I didn't realise you could sping these things on a straight, McLaren should look into that. Anyway, my next quick race was in something more at my skill level:

2015-09-05_00004biyd4.jpg

I managed quite well in this but I was getting mugged on the straights of Silverstone so went for another run in something a bit more tasty:

2015-09-05_00006nvs4k.jpg

I did pretty well and got a third. Started the career mode now so hopefully I'll get a bit better at it. Looks like this could fill a Gran Turismo shaped hole for me. Will probably also pick up Dirt Rally at some point as I'm hearing good things about that.

Also played Ryse: Son of Rome last week. Mainly just got it for the eye candy and to test my new PC. It is a great looking game but it's repetitive gameplay wise, you just mash the buttons. Also all of the barbarian hordes look the same (well, 3 or 4 types). Anyway, eye candy:

2015-08-31_00002muaxa.jpg

There was a good bit of games chat in the cheap gaming pc thread (http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/193849-time-to-buildbuy-a-cheap-gaming-pc/) so in an effort not to clutter up that thread I thought I'd start a new one dedicated to gaming. All formats and ages of game welcome. Tell us what you're currently playing, what games your're looking forward to or any other random gaming musings or shenanigans.

After my stealth failure in MGS V I decided to buy Project Cars since it looks more like my bag. Being a c0cky bugger I decided to jump straight into this:

2015-09-05_000018mb71.jpg

I didn't realise you could sping these things on a straight, McLaren should look into that. Anyway, my next quick race was in something more at my skill level:

2015-09-05_00004biyd4.jpg

I managed quite well in this but I was getting mugged on the straights of Silverstone so went for another run in something a bit more tasty:

2015-09-05_00006nvs4k.jpg

I did pretty well and got a third. Started the career mode now so hopefully I'll get a bit better at it. Looks like this could fill a Gran Turismo shaped hole for me. Will probably also pick up Dirt Rally at some point as I'm hearing good things about that.

Also played Ryse: Son of Rome last week. Mainly just got it for the eye candy and to test my new PC. It is a great looking game but it's repetitive gameplay wise, you just mash the buttons. Also all of the barbarian hordes look the same (well, 3 or 4 types). Anyway, eye candy:

2015-08-31_00002muaxa.jpg

Ha. Sim racing is one of my things.

Dirt Rally is pretty good but it is tough, hard core rally. Very unforgiving in terms of handling, and no comeback if you make a mistake. The earlier Dirt games are a bit more lightweight. Dirt 2 is a lot of fun, as is Dirt 3.

PCars is probably my game of the moment. I like the responsiveness of the controls, and the general unforgiving nature of the track - hit a kerb in Pcars and you can be all over the place, whereas in many other games you just bounce off. Pcars really comes into its own when racing, start off on something easy to handle like Formula C, then move up through the ranks to formula A. Blasting a formula A round the green hell is an experience not to be missed - and the lotus 49 !

Other games I like are FH2 (bit arcady but still a lot of fun), Grid Autosport, which is great if you are looking to get a low cost racer on console, and f1 2013 which is my favourite of the F1 series because it has 4 extra classic tracks, plus Nikki Laudas Ferrari.

I'm still on the Playstation 3 and still playing the original Black Ops, i find i can get better camping on there as the newer Call of Duty games worked to minimise camping spots by reducing the number of corners on the maps etc

I use the SPAS12 shotgun (with supressor)

Duel weild python's as secondary.

Flak Jacket Pro

Sleight of Hand Pro

Tactical Mask Pro

Alot of the players have moved on to the PS4 but you have to pay a yearly subscription to play online, but on the PS3 online gaming is still free.

I'm still on the Playstation 3 and still playing the original Black Ops, i find i can get better camping on there as the newer Call of Duty games worked to minimise camping spots by reducing the number of corners on the maps etc

I use the SPAS12 shotgun (with supressor)

Duel weild python's as secondary.

Flak Jacket Pro

Sleight of Hand Pro

Tactical Mask Pro

Have you played sniper elite 2 ? I loved that. Much better than COD if you like waiting to pick your moment.

Have you played sniper elite 2 ? I loved that. Much better than COD if you like waiting to pick your moment.

No haven't played it but i did see it going cheap on amazon the other day might pick it up, thanks for the heads up.

Dirt Rally is pretty good but it is tough, hard core rally. Very unforgiving in terms of handling, and no comeback if you make a mistake

That's ok, I'm fine if a game is hard as long as I know it's m mistake. Used to love the Colin McRae games but they were more arcade.

Pcars really comes into its own when racing, start off on something easy to handle like Formula C, then move up through the ranks to formula A

I started off my career track on the Clio trophy cars. They're easy to drive. Had a quick blast in the Formula A = spin city :D Oddly the Audi LMP car was easy to drive.

I'm enjoying Assetto Corsa, GT27 and a DK2 at the moment.... It's very good!

How are you finding the VR? I tried it at the Game On exhibition on a Wipeout style racer but I was standing and kept feeling like I would fall over. I may get one of the Oculus or HTC sets depending on how much they cost and the game support.

A lot of the players have moved on to the PS4 but you have to pay a yearly subscription to play online​

You can just pay monthly or three months but it's probably cheaper for a year, what is it £40? Blops 3 is out soon isn't it?

Anyone know of a really good flight sim?

FSX is supposed to be good. Some of the screenshots look like photos! X-Plane is the only other one I'm aware of.

Strangely enough I was chatting with another HPC'er about gaming this week.

If anyone's on GTAV on xboxone and fancies helping me out with some heists (I'll give you a good cut) I'd be very grateful!

Live user is the same as on here, feel free to add me and let me know when your on live.

How are you finding the VR? I tried it at the Game On exhibition on a Wipeout style racer but I was standing and kept feeling like I would fall over. I may get one of the Oculus or HTC sets depending on how much they cost and the game support.

Hehe, I know what you mean it's pretty full on. B)

For the driving games with a steering wheel it's pretty much unbelievable.... Like being transported into a car sat on the grid at Monza. Look left, look right. Check your mirrors.... It should be illegal.

Turn in looking for the apex while keeping your car 1' from that car in front, slip stream left, right, break and cover the inside line, throttle up for the next corner. Repeat 15 times and that's one lap.

I used to be massively into gaming from the age of about 5 until my late teens. Commodore 64, SNES, PC gaming for a while, and then N64 were my favorites.

Favorite game of all time is Goldeneye on the N64, which I played obsessively for years and still know every nook and cranny of. Loved first person shooters.

For some reason however the last decade of gaming has pretty much passed me by. I have an XBOX360 but have only ever played a few games on it. I think there's a part of me at some point that saw gaming as a complete waste of time, which I know is unreasonable because it's not like I'm doing anything ground breaking with my time, and gaming is no less valid entertainment than watching a movie or reading a book.

I am however really looking forward to seeing if the whole VR thing takes off, with the Occulus Rift ect...would be amazing if the technology was finally here, 25 years after VR was first envisioned. If VR does become mainstream I'd see it as being the biggest thing to happen in gaming and entertainment as a whole since....um...the television??

Hehe, I know what you mean it's pretty full on. B)

For the driving games with a steering wheel it's pretty much unbelievable.... Like being transported into a car sat on the grid at Monza. Look left, look right. Check your mirrors.... It should be illegal.

Turn in looking for the apex while keeping your car 1' from that car in front, slip stream left, right, break and cover the inside line, throttle up for the next corner. Repeat 15 times and that's one lap.

Yep I think this is where VR will really shine, in something like a racing game, espeically in an arcade setting where you have a big hyraulic force-feedback setup.

Would love to see VR arcades crop up with VR hydraulic cars for racers, motorbikes, helicopters, you name it. Would be incredible.

Bought Wolfenstein "The Old Blood" back in May.

Not had a chance to play it yet.. such is the joy of small babies :D

It's not bad - I haven't finished it yet, but it's got a bit of the old RTCW feel to it. Such a pity there's no multiplayer though - I spent literally hundreds of happy hours on RTCW mp. I've never been able to work out whether it was intentional or blind luck, but I've never played a game since where the mp gameplay was so perfect. So many ways to go about the objectives, and rewarded team work without being too serious.

Ah, I miss those days.

I finished The Witcher III recently. I've also made another attempt at getting through Fallout: New Vegas (previous attempts ended up with corrupted save games). And I still do the odd bit of Mass Effect 3 multiplayer.

"The last of us" is by far the best game I have played.

Beautiful detailed scenary. Amazing gameplay and a genuinely good and surprising story that unravels through the game.

Takes ages to complete the 1 player too. 10/10

No haven't played it but i did see it going cheap on amazon the other day might pick it up, thanks for the heads up.

It's a great game. Graphics aren't so good, but the gameplay is great. Maybe they will close the servers down as well.

The team deathmatch is brilliant. You can spend ages hiding or wriggling into place and waiting for the guy to pop his head up and then shoot.

Also you can bait people. i've played it where one guy pops his head up, to lure the opposition, and the second man in the team has got a bead on the guy who is spotting the first guy and takes him down as he comes out of cover to make his shot.

There is a sniper elite 3 out but I don't know how good it is. It's worth getting the goty edition because that's got an extra mission to kill Hitler.

Favorite game of all time is Goldeneye on the N64, which I played obsessively for years and still know every nook and cranny of. Loved first person shooters.

I used to play that loads with my mates in the late 90s, now I play the Wii version with my kids. Killing me in video games seems to be about the only activity where they can co-operate effectively without breaking down into squabbling after 90 seconds.

I spent literally hundreds of happy hours on RTCW mp. I've never been able to work out whether it was intentional or blind luck, but I've never played a game since where the mp gameplay was so perfect. So many ways to go about the objectives, and rewarded team work without being too serious.

I'll heartily second that. They even released the code so it became "Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory".

The best kept secret free game on the web for many years.

I liked being the engineer or medic, What was your favourite ?

I would like to nominate Satellite Reign, having played in in early access for a good number of hours and then started again when the thing went to proper release a few days ago. it's basically a modern toy-filled take on early nineties opus Syndicate - come on, we're mostly old and remember that - where you control four cyborg agents with increasingly large guns on various missions in a futuristic city.

Caveats: the non-skippable training level is the most awful unintuitive experience ever, when when you already know how to play the game, and the tooling-up dynamics mean your avatars are woefully underpowered for the first several hours. Things get much much better.

I used to be massively into gaming from the age of about 5 until my late teens. Commodore 64, SNES, PC gaming for a while, and then N64 were my favorites. Favorite game of all time is Goldeneye on the N64, which I played obsessively for years and still know every nook and cranny of. Loved first person shooters. For some reason however the last decade of gaming has pretty much passed me by. I have an XBOX360 but have only ever played a few games on it. I think there's a part of me at some point that saw gaming as a complete waste of time, which I know is unreasonable because it's not like I'm doing anything ground breaking with my time, and gaming is no less valid entertainment than watching a movie or reading a book. I am however really looking forward to seeing if the whole VR thing takes off, with the Occulus Rift ect...would be amazing if the technology was finally here, 25 years after VR was first envisioned. If VR does become mainstream I'd see it as being the biggest thing to happen in gaming and entertainment as a whole since....um...the television??

Similarly I played Spectrum/Amstrad/C64 games a lot. Skipped Atari/Amiga. Played Gameboy in a big way and then Sega Megadrive. Moved on to PC games then for a while and my interest then waned after that and hasn't really been recaptured apart from a Christmas mostly spent playing Angry Birds in preference to conversing with various relatives.

Worried I've been missing out I've periodically tried PS1, few hours on Crash Bandicoot and Wipeout, then lost interest. Bought a PS2 lasted a bit longer playing a Simpsons game, graphics and attention to detail seemed astonishing after so long away from games but, again only kept me interested for a short while over a Christmas holiday period.

Think the last game I got truly engrossed in was a Discworld PC game which was very reminiscent of the early 'throw water on fire' text adventures - wiki says that was probably about twenty years ago.