House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SarahBell

Non-Contactless Cards

We got contactless-less cards from the bank as I was a bit peeved at having my card taken by a till person and swiped across doing a contactless transaction. It feels wrong.
And I know they say there are safeguards like limits and being forced to use a pin every 4 or so transactions BUT contactless payments don't show up on bank statements for up to 5 days (The man at the bank told me this just)

Anyway. Costco have opened a petrol station near us and it requires a debit card that allows pre-authorisation. And apparently our non-contactless cards don't have this. So wouldn't work on a train or a plane either. Or anywhere else they want a pre-autho (Online food shopping?)

So we either change back or find another bank that does offer a debit - NC with PA or don't buy petrol from costco.

Glad you posted this Sarah, I was going to follow your lead in requesting contactless cards but don't think I will now.

I have lined the card section of my wallet with foil and if I see one will buy one of those shielded wallets.

I really don't like this forced change, and you can see even more pensioners becoming the victims of scams as a result.

BUT contactless payments don't show up on bank statements for up to 5 days (The man at the bank told me this just)
​The transactions show on my online banking the next day. That's with HSBC.

Yes, slightly misleading from the bank man. How quickly they show up depends upon the retailer, their card 'floor' limits, whether the transactions are 'online' or not, etc. Could show up the next day, could be a few days.

I thought pre-authorisation worked with normal cards. I've used it in various situations.

What attributes qualify a card as "contactless" (given that any traditional card can be used remotely - e.g. over the phone or online)? And how would I know which if any of my cards are contactless?

Doesn't contactless have a single transaction limit of £30? (Just increased from £20).

Pointless using it to buy fuel unless you have a moped or something.

I find it most useful when I am buying a pint or lunch in the Wetherspoons.

I don't think the intention is to replace chip/pin just to complement it.....

Edit to add. I think you need to have a good account history with automatic overdraft facility to qualify. My bank gives me £2500. I have never asked for it nor used it in the 20+ years it has been available. In fact a while back they kept writing to me enticing me to increase it.

If you have a habit of spending down to your account balance then you may not get one......

Yes, slightly misleading from the bank man. How quickly they show up depends upon the retailer, their card 'floor' limits, whether the transactions are 'online' or not, etc. Could show up the next day, could be a few days.

I think it is a mixture of floor limit and whether you have a card that allows no authorisation required below the floor limit.

I know all the prepaid debit cards I have, contactless ones included, will allows force through an authorisation for any amount.

Some cards I have (halifax debit/nationwide credit) if I do a transaction, contactless or just chip and pin, below the floor limit, £20ish I think in Tesco, they will not show as a pending transaction or reduce credit available.

I guess it just checks against a list of blocked cards and doesn't go for a full "is there money?" authorisation in those cases.

I thought pre-authorisation worked with normal cards. I've used it in various situations.

What attributes qualify a card as "contactless" (given that any traditional card can be used remotely - e.g. over the phone or online)? And how would I know which if any of my cards are contactless?

Over the phone or online the card is verified and the funds taken before product is offered.

Contactless in a shop or bar is instant you are already at the point of sale.

I am not sure if they do query the account in real time hence the small limits and the time frame from spending to statement..

Over the phone or online the card is verified and the funds taken before product is offered.

Contactless in a shop or bar is instant you are already at the point of sale.

I am not sure if they do query the account in real time hence the small limits and the time frame from spending to statement..

None of which answers my questions.

When I buy goods online, they take the money there and then. Without contact.

When I check into a hotel, they pre-authorise. Nothing contactless about that. Except - if I booked in advance (e.g through one of the online booking sites), they already pre-authorised - without contact.

Where's the connection, in terms of how the card works?

And I still have no idea how to tell whether a card is "contactless", nor even what "contactless" really means.

The "contactless" bit is by waving a card with the right sort of gear in it over a receiver which can then make the transaction there and then, without having to give any numbers of PIN or anything. Cards with it have a symbol on them (a dot with some radiating curves, presumably representing a radio transmission). They're limited in amount as mentioned above to £30 in a transaction, they can be used in the usual ways (e.g. PIN) for higher amounts.

Personally I've no intention of using it and will stick to cash for small amounts.

None of which answers my questions.

When I buy goods online, they take the money there and then. Without contact.

When I check into a hotel, they pre-authorise. Nothing contactless about that. Except - if I booked in advance (e.g through one of the online booking sites), they already pre-authorised - without contact.

Where's the connection, in terms of how the card works?

And I still have no idea how to tell whether a card is "contactless", nor even what "contactless" really means.

Contactless means that the card can be electronically read without electrical contact (i.e. RFID). The cards are labelled with the contactless symbol which looks like the traditional cartoon of sound waves emanating from a loudspeaker.

You can perform a contactless transaction with such a card by simply waving the card in the proximity of the card reader while it is asking you to present your card. No PIN entry is required, and no physical contact between the card and the reader is required - the transaction can take place through a wallet. The transaction value must be below £30, you must have a contactless card, and the card/account must be authorised to guarantee a transaction without reference to the bank to check for funds.

Traditionally, credit card transactions would be verified online. I.e. at the time of the purchase, the retailer's till contacts their payment provider in real time, who then contact your bank in real time. In the event of funds not being available, then the transaction can be declined in real time. This is not the same as checking in at a hotel, where the hotel will put a hold on funds in the account, to stop you from maxing out your account balance, and the final checkout transaction being declined.

Electronic cards do have the ability to be verified offline (i.e. an electronic form of the old imprint method). The data log from the till is then uploaded to the bank in due course so that payment can be made. This is useful for points of sale where an online connection may not available (e.g. ships/planes/taxis/travelling salesmen/etc.). With a chip card, the card can be programmed to authorise a certain value and number of transactions offline, typically low value transactions. This offline verification has been little used in the UK, but as contactless is being rolled out as a convenient method of low-value payment, the use cases of contactless and offline can overlap.

I do wonder if SB's petrol station anecdote might just be a misunderstanding, i.e. I don't know if SB has actually tested the cards, as I can imagine call centre staff getting confused between pre-authorisation (meaning a validation of account balance and a hold on funds) and offline verification (meaning that the bank has given prior authorisation for small value transactions such that the card may be presented without real-time reference to the bank).

I've been using them for years now. Never had any problems and haven't had to resort to any tinfoil lined pockets.

Tinfoil hat - hell yes. Stops the lizards mind control alpha waves you see

An acquaintance was scammed some time ago when a taxi driver took her card and tapped it against the card machine before inserting it. So they were charged for the taxi ride, and for another ride they didn't take.

If the card is contactless, I'd say it's a bad idea to let anyone else touch it.

Glad you posted this Sarah, I was going to follow your lead in requesting contactless cards but don't think I will now.

I have lined the card section of my wallet with foil and if I see one will buy one of those shielded wallets.

I really don't like this forced change, and you can see even more pensioners becoming the victims of scams as a result.

Farady cages only work if properly earthed.

Attach a wire to a convenient earth point. Make sure the wire is long enough for you to go about your daily business.

Do they have tinfoil lined hats too?

Do they have tinfoil lined hats too?

You lose your thirty quid mate then you sort it out, mine stays in my bank account for the sake of some aluminium foil.