House Price Crash Forum
Errol

U.k. Retailers Post Worst Sales Decline Since Financial Crisis

U.K. Retailers Post Worst Sales Decline Since Financial Crisis

British retailers had their biggest sales decline since 2008 last month on wet weather and reduced tourist spending.

Comparable sales in stores dropped 4.3 percent, falling a fourth consecutive month, business advisory firm BDO said in its monthly report. The decline was led by a 5.5 percent slump in sales at fashion retailers.

The figures make “sobering reading,” Nick Bubb, an independent retail analyst, said by e-mail. BDO’s fashion survey only covered “relatively upmarket” retailers, and was not representative of the mass market, he said.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-09-04/u-k-retailers-post-worst-sales-decline-since-financial-crisis

Edited by Errol

Weren't all the Malls supposed to deal with the problem of the weather - everything being undercover. When the weather has been reasonably good you just know they're making stuff up.

Weren't all the Malls supposed to deal with the problem of the weather - everything being undercover. When the weather has been reasonably good you just know they're making stuff up.

When it's sunny people don't want to be in Malls.... When it rains people don't want to walk from the car park to the Mall....

I've bought a new fridge/freezer recently, hopefully that will last 10+ years, however I don't need any tat. However I will have to buy a new internal door handle, that should help boost the figures further.

Interesting topic. There is a shop near me, on a busy main road, not great for parking but not impossible but basically stand alone - quite a way from any other shop. Was a tile shop. Just went bust. Over lunch we were trying to work out what retail establishment could possibly make a go of it. Not one good suggestion that was viable (apart from letting agent and that doesn't count). Independent retail is dead.

Its the rain apparently, amazing how no one ever addresses the big elephant they just look out the window and say its either the rain or the sun :)

.. or the snow. Don't forget the snow.

I just got a myperksplus membership from work which saves my 8% on many highstreet shops (argos, boots, currys/pc world), 5% on ASDA etc. etc.

Combine that with quidco, I save quite a lot on those things that I don't get from ebay/china directly.

I just got a myperksplus membership from work which saves my 8% on many highstreet shops (argos, boots, currys/pc world), 5% on ASDA etc. etc.

Combine that with quidco, I save quite a lot on those things that I don't get from ebay/china directly.

https://tp.rewardgateway.co.uk

You will require your National Insurance Number

To join - why?

I think it is because the link you are clicking is the gateway to a scheme is provided as an employee benefit by Travis Perkins. Checking your NI number against their payroll will enable them to make sure you are eligible to join.

Could be something more sinister I suppose.

"MyPerks Plus is operated for Travis Perkins by Reward Gateway (UK) Ltd . Copyright © 2015 Reward Gateway (UK) Ltd

Travis Perkins provides this service to staff as a genuine employee benefit..."

I don't understand why more people do not use www.purse.io and get 20%+ off anything off amazon for bitcoin. I understand some people aren't convinced by bitcoin but you don't have to hold it long to buy something from purse. You can buy bitcoin on your debit card through coinbase.com.

Edited by doomed

Not rocket science is it. I have £1,000 which all goes on rent or mortgage I have nothing to spend on new cloths. If I pay £600 in rent or mortgage I could spend £400 on 'stuff'. There was a recent yougov survey and I realise, when filling it in, I have bought very few cloths ie none in the last two years.

I know people paying a couple of hundred quid a month mortgage, don`t know the details of why it is that low, but as far as I know they don`t spend big on clothes and tat they don`t really need. Maybe people have just had enough of the borrow and spend model?