House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jason

Broadband Speed

My broadband is broke:

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4631516971

Seriously, what options are there for faster broadband? When I moved into the estate 5 years ago it was 5mbps, then as people moved in it slowed down to 3mbps, then 2.5mbps. In recent years it hovers around 2mbps on a good day.

The last few weeks it's gone below 1mbps.. Sky say there is no problem..

Everyone seems to offer the same estimated speed of 1.5-4mbps, and I can't get BT infinity or virgin. This is the same for the 100ish houses down the road.

I'm guessing this is because another area of new builds has been built the other side of the main road from the exchange box, and is probably connecting to the same box. It annoys me because in all roads around this road, Virgin and infinity is available.

Just thought I'd ask the HPC massive..

Can you upgrade to sky fibre? That solved a lot of problems for me, upload and download speeds went up x5 and the unusable phoneline became clear too.

No fibre available..

I could use 4G via my phone, but only have 750mb for tethering.. and that goes in an instant.

I have looked at satellite broadband, but that is expensive!

No fibre available..

I could use 4G via my phone, but only have 750mb for tethering.. and that goes in an instant.

That's 150 DVDs worth! :blink:

My broadband is broke:

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4631516971

I'm guessing this is because another area of new builds has been built the other side of the main road from the exchange box, and is probably connecting to the same box. It annoys me because in all roads around this road, Virgin and infinity is available.

If the other houses have access to infinity then you should to (if they use the same exchange).

Stupid question but what does the infinity postcode checker say on your exchange?

That's 150 DVDs worth! :blink:

750mb.. not gb

If the other houses have access to infinity then you should to (if they use the same exchange).

Stupid question but what does the infinity postcode checker say on your exchange?

Nope, not available. We're a new build estate (well 5 years old) that's on old hospital ground in the middle of a city - all the other roads around have fibre, but not us.

Yeah every house in my road can get Virgin fibre except me due to block paving out the front (Not owned by me)

I lived in a new build once and found it was easier to just move than keep fighting because of the moran way they had the address messed everything up.

It was like:

Apartment 1

The Moran Building

6 West Street

Dodge City

DO1 1AY

Equifax, Experian and Callcredit couldn't recognise it properly, ever, the local council put the ER as 1/6 so no credit agencies found the ER entry, all credit applications failed as address not found, it went on and, I gave up. The postcode would always bring it up but it never fitted in the address fields properly on any applications.

Is your address anything like that? Too big to fit in database fields? It seems odd if everyone around you can get fibre but you can't, maybe nobody could be arsed to work out your address in a database properly.

no, simple address. Its the whole street that can't get fibre, not just me!

I'm just fed up as its hit a new low this week.

750mb.. not gb

Nope, not available. We're a new build estate (well 5 years old) that's on old hospital ground in the middle of a city - all the other roads around have fibre, but not us.

Ok that's one CD then. :(

No fibre available..

I could use 4G via my phone, but only have 750mb for tethering.. and that goes in an instant

Get a 3 sim - unlimited 4g for 15 quid a month, then get easytether connect on Android, masks the tethering

I also get 300 free minutes so have ditched the landline.

Getting 8mbs so plenty fast for pron

Get a 3 sim - unlimited 4g for 15 quid a month, then get easytether connect on Android, masks the tethering

Sounds good but are 3 really going to let you get away with, say, 250Gb per month using that method?

Sounds good but are 3 really going to let you get away with, say, 250Gb per month using that method?

No idea, but it's payg so no commitment - all I can say I've been looking at immense amounts of filth! Between jobs I went to 50gb and not a blink. YMMV

I've retested and getting 13mbs!! Who knows what the true speed is. I read providers speed it up for the speed test sites

That is what I'm looking for!

I thought phones report back that the data is used for tethering, so if that app gets around it....

You may have other options. It depends on the way in which your Sky broadband is supplied.

If Sky have a presence at the phone exchange then they supply you directly. This is called "Sky LLU".

If they don't then what you actually have is a resold BT service which is notorious for being dreadful because Sky don't buy enough capacity. That used to be called "Sky connect".

If you go to the BT Wholesale checker here:

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

.. and put your phone number in, can you paste the results, taking out the phone number, but leaving in the cabinet number if it has one?

It's possible that you may get "number unrecognised" in which case use your full address and paste the results, but take out your address.

e.g.

BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER

Address xxx, ALTON, GU34 xxx on Exchange BENTLEY is served by Cabinet 3

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

High

Low

High

Low

FTTC Range A (Clean) 36.4 27.9 7.5 5.5 -- Available

FTTC Range B (Impacted) 30 16.4 7.4 3.7 -- Available

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 3.5 -- 2 to 6 Available

WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 3.5 Up to 0.5 2 to 6 Available

ADSL Max Up to 2.5 -- 1.5 to 5 Available

WBC Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available

Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available

Other Offerings

Fibre Multicast -- -- -- Available

Copper Multicast -- -- -- Available

It won't format very well, but it will do, the above is ours.

We actually use 4G as it's our fastest option, we don't even have a landline. It's with EE who are the most monumentally useless company and so we leave it on PAYG. It's £30 for every 10GB and it costs us about £90 a month but then we don't stream very much TV.

Actually, to make you aware, pasting in the cabinet number could isolate which housing estate you live on if that cabinet only serves that estate.

The point of it is to check to see if it's in the rollout plans for fibre to the cabinet.

But you can check yourself on the Openreach Superfarce website:

http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/

First find out if there is a marked difference between your actual sync rate (the speed the modem is connected) and the throughput reported by speedtest or BTW speedchecker. You can usually connect to the modem on something like 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.254,etc

This will show if there's a problem with either too many local users, or your IP profile has dropped/stuck.

If they are similar (within 85% of the sync) then start looking at your filters, extensions - or get hold of a modem that can do SNR tuning and tweak the sync rate up a bit.

When I log in, I can see the router is connected at:

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 604 / 1,022

That's similar to the speed checker website. No one else is connected to the router, other than my laptop and phone.

Sadly the speed you're getting is realistic and it's probably not just Sky being congested. You might be able to get another half a meg out of it by fiddling with the wiring but it's whistling in the proverbial wind really.

I'm assuming you can't get cable (you may have already mentioned this). Or 150Mbps would be within your reach with 300Mbps coming soon.

So your best bet is probably 4G. Do you/can you get a good 4G signal on any networks? If not on the one you have, check the coverage maps on the providers' websites.

Satellite is generally slower, has horrific latency, and the same sort of low usage allowances.

Your optimum would be 4G from EE and there is a 50GB per month package available.

There is one further option which is a wireless provider, these are few and far between, from what I recall one called Kijoma serves some of Hampshire, might be worth checking their coverage map.

Youch, and I thought I would lose out moving out of town (get about 6.5 mbps). The odd thing is that fibre has just gone in here (estimate about 35 meg), surprised that it's available here and not somewhere more urban, but I think that the county council were on some drive to get it across quite a lot of the county.

If it makes Jason feel better.. we can get fibre to the cabinet, as can half our village connected to one of two phone cabinets.

Sadly the other half of the village connected to the other one can't get more than 2 Meg and the brand new development of houses @ 400k+ (who the feck is buying those, it looks so ordinary and all you can see out of the window is more houses) can't get anything more than 1 Meg.