House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheBlueCat

Blair On Corbyn

Good stuff.

Speaking of which, is he leader of the opposition yet?

When is the new leader announced?

12th September I think.....

Is Corbyn the man to hold Cameron to Account at the despatch box?

Answers on the back of a fag packet please.....

I want a strong opposition leader with differing policy but above all the ability to hold this Government to account..... Corbyn wouldn't be my natural choice but then neither would any of the other three either.

Thought Frank Field wrote a belting piece in the MOS yesterday about the Migrant crisis seems to be one of the few of today's politico's who actually gets it...

This is the problem for Labour. Every time they wheel out someone who speaks against Corbyn, especially Blair, we liken him to a meal we briefly enjoyed that is now lying in the water at the bottom of the toilet having been excreted. Which only strengthens his case among those who are not traditional left-wingers, and those traditional left-wingers never liked Blair much anyway.

Anyone notice Osborne's announcement about big spending at Faslane?

I think that's designed to hand a big chunk of Scotland's politics back from the SNP to Labour. Specifically, Corbyn's Labour, given the clarity of Corbyn's position on ridding us of nuclear weapons. Focus Jock attention on an issue where Corbyn offers better prospects (arguably to both sides) than the SNP. So instead of a strong and coherent Scottish party, Osborne is faced with a Labour party that's tearing itself apart back in half Scotland's seats.

Good stuff.

Speaking of which, is he leader of the opposition yet?

When is the new leader announced?

The way the country and Europe is going it might not be unthinkable that he might get elected to Government in 2020. History is littered with extremists that profited from economic turmoil like Hitler and Peron. All he has to do is bide out his time in opposition comrade.

The way the country and Europe is going it might not be unthinkable that he might get elected to Government in 2020. History is littered with extremists that profited from economic turmoil like Hitler and Peron. All he has to do is bide out his time in opposition comrade.

I see where you're coming from, but Corbyn's politics are at best only extreme by very modern standards.

I guess when people feel politics is stuck in a rut there's a risk they'll vote too far in the opposite extreme. Corbyn'll have to do something pretty impressive though to make me believe that he's that.

So he nationalises a few companies and opens a couple of pointless coal mines.. big deal. The worst thing if Corbyn get's in will be a self fulfilling economic prophecy. Capital will avoid the UK wondering just how mental he might be, which will precipitate an economic dip, which will prove that his policies were wrong from day one.

People like change. Markets like certainty. :)

Today's headline piece on the Torygraph:

"Jeremy Corbyn calls for Queen's powers to be weakened"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/Jeremy_Corbyn/11835521/Jeremy-Corbyn-calls-for-Queens-powers-to-be-weakened.html

I didn't even read the article, so I don't know what it says.

Though how anyone could disagree mystifies me. So it gets another +1.

I think the Torygraph might be mixing up traditional right-wingers with Royalists.

Today's headline piece on the Torygraph:

"Jeremy Corbyn calls for Queen's powers to be weakened"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/Jeremy_Corbyn/11835521/Jeremy-Corbyn-calls-for-Queens-powers-to-be-weakened.html

I didn't even read the article, so I don't know what it says.

Though how anyone could disagree mystifies me. So it gets another +1.

I think the Torygraph might be mixing up traditional right-wingers with Royalists.

The article headline is totally misleading. What he called for was for the Royal Prerogative to be weakened. The Royal Prerogative is the power that the prime minister users, having assumed it from the monarch, to do a bunch of things without needing approval from parliament. An example would be going to war which the government can do without a vote in the house. Having said that, there now seems to be an unwritten convention that there will be a vote first.

I partly like the idea of restricting its use more but, at the same time, if for example the Argentinians had another pop at the Falklands, I wouldn't want to see the government having to wait for a vote before they could tell the forces defending the islands to fight back.

I partly like the idea of restricting its use more but, at the same time, if for example the Argentinians had another pop at the Falklands, I wouldn't want to see the government having to wait for a vote before they could tell the forces defending the islands to fight back.

That sounds like a pretty strong suggestion: "we should have a debate on this".

So perhaps we should say thanks to Corbyn for raising it, and thanks to Blair for abusing it so badly as to make it clear there's a serious problem.

That sounds like a pretty strong suggestion: "we should have a debate on this".

So perhaps we should say thanks to Corbyn for raising it, and thanks to Blair for abusing it so badly as to make it clear there's a serious problem.

They won't remove all the powers of course. What's the point of being PM if you can't appoint your mates to the upper chamber?