House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

davidg

French Restaurants Want Ban On Home Cooking

French towns have smashing restaurants! Whe I lived in Kent, I went to Calais quite a lot, for a booze and fags fiesta.

There's a smashing one between Calais and Boulougne. The GB plates on the parked cars put me off, but it was very nice.

Never been that impressed with French cooking.

Either I have been unlucky - or its massively over rated.

pret a Manger and Cafe Rouge are not really French, you know?

I think it's like French wine. It lead the world back in the 1970s but now they've both been caught.

I had an amazing duck in Toulouse once. Must have been lucky.

I had an amazing duck in Toulouse once. Must have been lucky.

One for CCCs thread? :blink:

Magrets de canard à tomber par terre.

With baked beans?

Had some fantastic food in the Pyrenees.

Years ago I was doing some cycling in France and, late to find somewhere to sleep, we ended up in what looked a really grotty looking French B&B. I feared that the beds would be full of cockroaches. They weren't.

The beds were incredibly comfortable and the food, which I also snobbishly thought would be terrible, was fantastic.

But, generally, have never been really impressed with French food re the superb reputation it supposedly has. I think the reality in life is that you find good food and bad food in most places. Just a matter of luck.

very few people are prepared to pay for and have tried haute cuisine

That is what has given French food it's worldwide reputation - and rightly so

Not sure I had "haute cuisine" but it was a lot better than "Little Chef", and smashing smelly cheeses.

But, generally, have never been really impressed with French food re the superb reputation it supposedly has.

I wonder if part of the problem might be your experience generally is with touristy style restaurants that are happy to serve up whatever safe in the knowledge that you won't be coming back anyway?

Article mentions parallel issues with the likes of airbnb. Many small towns and villages the Hotel is the main restaurant too, so suspect their hotel bookings being kippered sharpened their resistance to any other competition on the food side. What's funny is that you can go to French towns in the height of the tourist season and the hotel/restaurant is shut down for the month as the owners and staff are on holiday.

Not sure about Fench food, can;t say I have ever paid lare amounts to eat at a top restaurant but suspect a lot of its attraction is that it sounded/looked fancy and sophisticated. Popular in the 70's here and pretty much disappeared off the hightreet, which suggests more of a fleeting attractive over here anyway. A bit like Italian clothes design, go to Italy and when you see nearly everyone in the same black/white/identikit clothes yes they are smart no doubt but to be honest really rather boring and not something to pay shedloads out for the designer labels. I suspect designer food is much the same, it tastes good because it bloody well has to in the mind of the eater for the money spent on it.

very few people are prepared to pay for and have tried haute cuisine

http://www.bestrestaurantsparis.com/en/restaurant-paris/pierre-gagnaire.html

http://www.bestrestaurantsparis.com/en/restaurant-paris/agape.html

That is what has given French food it's worldwide reputation - and rightly so

Jack a son goute as they say. Personally when in Paris I'd sooner eat at somewhere like Chartier.

I think it's like French wine. It lead the world back in the 1970s but now they've both been caught.

I think this is a major part of it. I've eaten in a lot of top quality restaurants, the ones outside France have generally been a much better experience than those in France, in terms of ratings like Michelin the French get a bit of a pass by virtue of them being in France.

Restaurant cooking for a technical point of views was pioneered in France, but that's in the past. That doesn't make it bad, but it's been left behind.