House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

University To Mark Down Students Who Say 'illegal Immigrants' In Class

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/university-to-mark-down-students-who-say-illegal-immigrants-in-class-10478643.html

Professors at a US university have told students that they risk failing their assignments and even their semester if they use offensive or hateful language in class or submissions.

Two programmes taught at Washington State University have set out clear restrictions upon the language students can use, banning terms such as “The Man”, “Coloured People” and “Illegals/ Illegal Aliens”.

The terms have been forbidden by certain professors on the basis that they are “oppressive and hateful”, according to one of the syllabuses reported by Campus Reform.

The “Course Notes and Policies” of the university’s “Women & Popular Culture” course taught by Professor Selena Lester Breikss specifies that “Gross generalisations, stereotypes, and derogatory/oppressive language are not acceptable”.

“Use of racist, sexist, homophobic, transphobic, xenophobic, classist, or generally offensive language in class or submission of such material will not be tolerated,” it adds.

Breikss also bans the use of the words “male and female” in the course.

So if you are discussing illegal immigration just WTF are you meant to use? I would be tempted to follow Alfred Khan's exmaple and use the term banana, but I'm guessing as essay full of terms such as banana people, banana aliens etc... would get me shot for being even more offensive rather than highlighting this irrelevent nonesense. Perhaps I'd have to go with banana banana kumquat?

Are black people allowed to say these things?

WTF, you racist! People of color, purlease!

That sounds very old fashioned.

#

Stereotypes always exist. A lot of words which seem OK today, will seem unacceptable in 20 years time. And then maybe we can say Spade, and Wop again. :huh:

That sounds very old fashioned.

#

Stereotypes always exist. A lot of words which seem OK today, will seem unacceptable in 20 years time. And then maybe we can say Spade, and Wop again. :huh:

In fact, once upon a time 'black' was unacceptable but 'coloured' was.

Indeed it was.

Wog has gone out of fashion too!

Indeed. At our primary school we would have been told off for calling anyone black. We had to say "coloured people" because that was apparently appropriate.

No teacher ever made the point that we should actually have just called the only African kid in our class David, you know, because that was his name.

Since kids are generally smart enough to realise it is all rubbish the PC brigade were largely ignored. And that worked great.

Until David got in a fight with someone over a pencil and suddenly all of the knee jerk PC nonsense kicked in again. I

I don't think he ever really appreciated being singled out by all the do gooders.. It made it harder for him to fit in with everyone else.

No teacher ever made the point that we should actually have just called the only African kid in our class David, you know, because that was his name.

Our "black" student at Primary School, was called Peter. He was quite popular. The one and only Indian guy, was relentlessly ridiculed. I am ashamed now, as are a few people my age, that we went along with it. :wacko:

Indeed.

Discussing last night the referring to people as cis who don't want to be gender-identified. Well tell me your name and I'll use that.

Our "black" student at Primary School, was called Peter. He was quite popular. The one and only Indian guy, was relentlessly ridiculed. I am ashamed now, as are a few people my age, that we went along with it. :wacko:

White guilt. Shake yourself out of it, he was probably going home every night stoning his sister.

White guilt. Shake yourself out of it, he was probably going home every night stoning his sister.

I doubt it very much, fool! :mellow:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/university-to-mark-down-students-who-say-illegal-immigrants-in-class-10478643.html

So if you are discussing illegal immigration just WTF are you meant to use? I would be tempted to follow Alfred Khan's exmaple and use the term banana, but I'm guessing as essay full of terms such as banana people, banana aliens etc... would get me shot for being even more offensive rather than highlighting this irrelevent nonesense. Perhaps I'd have to go with banana banana kumquat?

You're not allowed to discuss illegal immigration or legal immigration; that is for politicians to discuss.

I can't believe you said "banana". You could have chosen a more sensitive term without unfortunate connotations. Black footballers suffered hugely from the banana.

I was using black humour, no I mean dark humor ... O god I've done it again!

Although I do remember a time when blow up banana's where very popular at grounds and that had no offensive connotations or did football fans just all become overtly racist?

bananas.jpg

v0_master.jpg

Yes, throwing a banana at black footballers is exactly the same.

Why not throw a potato at Rooney?

You used his call centre name?

I'm pretty sure he is an accountant now!

My sister was suspended from work (racial discrimination ) for asking if a colleague working under her direction was an illegal immigrant as the person could barely speak English but their cv stated they were born and bred in the UK

Probably guessed by now her employer was the local council

The North-East of the 1970s was 99.99999% white - so we just picked on softy-Southerners whose families had moved up here..!

Failing that, there were always the fat, ginger kids...

;)

XYY

The North-East of the 1970s was 99.99999% white - so we just picked on softy-Southerners whose families had moved up here..!

Failing that, there were always the fat, ginger kids...

;)

XYY

Gosh! I wish I had been beaten up there, rather than Surrey! I am neither fat nor ginger. :o