House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

anonguest

Jobs Not Worth Applying For

Not so long ago I was helping out a nephew (twenty something graduate) in his job hunting (letter writing, CV, etc).

I find myself doing it again for another family member. Some of the jobs being applied for are, as previously, in the university (non-academic) and public sector.

I had noticed that some of the job advertisements encountered had abnormally short durations in which applications can be submitted (sometimes barely over a week from time of appearance to the stated closing date) and stating that interviews are expected to be held typically not more than 7 days after the stated closing date (which begs the question of how they could manage to realistically and reasonably review all the applications!).

Now given that things usually move very slowly in the public sector and universities, and typical duration periods for submitting applications is about a month and interviews tend to be about a month thereafter the closing date, do others here agree that such 'short notice' adverts are those where the advertisers already have an internal applicant they have in mind to take advertised post?? but are only going through the motions of publicly advertising because they have to? and thus advertising it for some minimum period they are obliged to?

The bottom line being that such jobs are simply not worth the time and effort to apply for? since the the selection panels decision is already made - and applying would be a waste of time?

Or am I just be overly cynical?

That's exactly the conclusion I would come to too. Plus not only is it a waste of time but it's potentially another rejection, another knock to the confidence of a young jobseeker. Best avoided.

I work in a university and have seen this happen more than once in my own department - jobs 'advertised' that are just jobs or promotions that have been created for current employees. Waste of time applying.

I work in a university and have seen this happen more than once in my own department - jobs 'advertised' that are just jobs or promotions that have been created for current employees. Waste of time applying.

Makes one wonder why, in such situations, the advertisers even bother shortlisting the externally submitted applications and setting up interviews for external applicants at all? Why don't they just save themselves the time and claim, if asked, that there were no externally submitted applications that met the requirements? and so rubber stamp the approval of the intended internal applicant into the position.

Makes one wonder why, in such situations, the advertisers even bother shortlisting the externally submitted applications and setting up interviews for external applicants at all? Why don't they just save themselves the time and claim, if asked, that there were no externally submitted applications that met the requirements? and so rubber stamp the approval of the intended internal applicant into the position.

I imagine they'd be in big trouble with HR if they were caught lying that there were no suitable applicants. These jobs often follow rigid checklist-style requirements that are't subjective so someone is usually obviously interview-able or not.

So yeah it's just going through the motions, so that to the outside world it looks like everyone's been given a fair shot, when in fact it's because person X wanted moved up the the next pay grade.

Not entirely pointless.

Rubbish for finding a job but perfect for filling ones quota of seeking work down at the Job Centre

True, but you just say you've applied for it, whether you have is another thing....

Could there perhaps sometimes be a situation where the timings are determined by funding considerations? You've been wanting to advertise for months of frustrating wait for your funding, and the decision only comes through just when you need to get started or it'll be withdrawn?

Or variants thereon.

I would assume that to be the case. We're going through a restructuring at work and have a few of these to keep in line with recruitment policy.

Having said that, during the restructuring the senior management appear to have deemed it ok to just appoint themselves and their mates to positions whilst telling the rest of us that it's policy to advertise all positions. Funny that, isn't it?

Or am I just be overly cynical?

I posted about one LA job that had such a non-sensical job description it was decided they've picked a candidate and wrote a job spec they could do.

Most jobs aren't worth applying for.

Ooooo....I dunno. I think I could do a university vice-chancellors job as well as the many of the current incumbents. Likewise governor of the bank of england. I can sit in front of a camera and make speeches that say nothing at all, and first lord of the treasury might be fun for a couple of weeks too before I discovered that it's really a thankless task. :P

Most jobs aren't worth applying for.

Apparently for the job I started recently had over 1K applicants, not a brag or anything but I've no idea how I got it. So you never know.

Sounds like a law designed to stop cronyism which actually just creates work, gets people's hopes up who have no actual chance of getting the job, then ultimately having the same outcome.

Some advice I was once given is that you don't want a good job, you want a good manager.

What ever you do, a good manager will do more to improve your career prospects and get the most out of what you do compared to any specific job title. IMO.

Also, sometime "cronyism" is a good thing, it allows you to reward the people who are most deserving, most qualified and you have most experience of.

Apparently for the job I started recently had over 1K applicants, not a brag or anything but I've no idea how I got it. So you never know.

Yep! I've a applied for and been successful in obtaining a job that 1,000+ have too. Handing in my notice at one public sector employer (Police Staff) my manager tried to persuade me to stay telling me that they had 3,000 people apply for the 6 posts of which I was one. I simply told her the shift rota, pay and in fact the whole job was shit and apologised for wasting their time (I stayed until I was fully trained/signed off ~ a year).

Edit: My wife's recent promotion as part of a company wide restructure was advertised externally receiving 30 applicants. Some of them were worthy contenders. That is a private sector six figure role.

Had this conversation with a friend, who also nodded and agreed that jobs with short advertised times were not worth applying for.

Just got this sent to me in an email from him:

https://jobs.barnet.gov.uk/job/Deputy_Monitoring_Officer/104522

The closing date for this one is barely over three days from the appearance date!

Anyone think they'd stand a chance applying for this?! The only way you'd likely get this job is if the person already given the nod that they'll get it falls under a bus before the end of the week!

My current job had a short advertised period and a fixed interview date stated on the ad (shortly after application closure date) so it's not impossible to get these jobs.

My current job had a short advertised period and a fixed interview date stated on the ad (shortly after application closure date) so it's not impossible to get these jobs.

Maybe so, but I don't think you're comparing like for like here?

This job advert is ridiculous! There's minimal detail, minimal contact details, etc.

It could of course be HR incompetence/obstruction, but it does start to look like an Insider Candidate for a cushy £80k job with an obscure function and no metrics for performance. Probably the Monitoring Officer is banging whomever the preferred candidate is?!

Had this conversation with a friend, who also nodded and agreed that jobs with short advertised times were not worth applying for.

Just got this sent to me in an email from him:

https://jobs.barnet.gov.uk/job/Deputy_Monitoring_Officer/104522

The closing date for this one is barely over three days from the appearance date!

Anyone think they'd stand a chance applying for this?! The only way you'd likely get this job is if the person already given the nod that they'll get it falls under a bus before the end of the week!

Deputy Monitoring officer - what is that? Is it someone who helps someone making sure someone else is doing something right?

For £80 Grand!

FFS What does the person actually doing the thing that needs so much monitoring get paid?

Deputy Monitoring officer - what is that? Is it someone who helps someone making sure someone else is doing something right?

For £80 Grand!

FFS What does the person actually doing the thing that needs so much monitoring get paid?

Indeed! But do you want to apply for it? Would you stand a fair and equal chance?! LOL