House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

beccles

Other Forums You Go On?

Sorry, I honestly didnt know you had to be approved to read it, its a good forum.

And I was looking for alternatives mainly, as the one I used the most has been closed. :(

Sorry, I honestly didnt know you had to be approved to read it, its a good forum.

And I was looking for alternatives mainly, as the one I used the most has been closed. :(

Sorry for my suspicion

What's it about?

Good lord, I spend far too much time on this one already!

I love this Off Topic because of the range of things we discuss and there's a good crowd of people, but from as a software developer who has a number of projects in the pipeline of varying scales, I'd love to find a platform-agnostic developers forum where people can discuss architectural patterns and approaches to developing software (i.e. what tools to use and when, different technology stacks).

Haven't been able to find such a forum so if anyone knows one feel free to let me know...

Good lord, I spend far too much time on this one already!

I love this Off Topic because of the range of things we discuss and there's a good crowd of people, but from as a software developer who has a number of projects in the pipeline of varying scales, I'd love to find a platform-agnostic developers forum where people can discuss architectural patterns and approaches to developing software (i.e. what tools to use and when, different technology stacks).

Haven't been able to find such a forum so if anyone knows one feel free to let me know...

Start your own - it sounds like a niche with a need - perfect

I remember reading that whoever owns hpc make a tidy pile of dough

I was on mumsnet for a while but got totally slaughtered one time for saying that a bloke who found out his partner had slept with over a hundred blokes was justified in leaving her. Not bothered going back because of the ones who will attack any bloke on there for being a bloke.

I was on the unsustainable etc. Forum for a while in addition to here, before that became a banning offence.

Other than that a couple of team-specific football ones. Which I won't link because if you support that team you'll already know them. And if you don't then you won't be interested!

The websites that give valuations suggest it does OK but isn't exactly a gold mine.

I was on the unsustainable etc. Forum for a while in addition to here, before that became a banning offence.

I used to lurk on that, and they all thought they were all so clever and witty and thought they'd stuck it to the man, by leaving hpc on mass. There was absolutely zero useful input just hugzz type posts

It looked like one of the mods went mad and they all turned on each other - it was hilarious

I used to lurk on that, and they all thought they were all so clever and witty and thought they'd stuck it to the man, by leaving hpc on mass. There was absolutely zero useful input just hugzz type posts

It looked like one of the mods went mad and they all turned on each other - it was hilarious

I was on both as half the regular OT posters decamped to it.

The only one with a particular grudge against HPC (until HPC started banning people just for membership) was mmmmm beer who actively tried to take the whole OT over there by PMs, morse code in sigs etc.

It was actually intended as an academic resource by Skinty for renewables etc. until it get turned into an alternative OT. She was never happy about this and eventually shut it down because this was all it ended up being.

... as a software developer who has a number of projects in the pipeline of varying scales, I'd love to find a platform-agnostic developers forum where people can discuss architectural patterns and approaches to developing software (i.e. what tools to use and when, different technology stacks).

I think there's a good chance that would just constantly degenerate into flame-wars.

I think there's a good chance that would just constantly degenerate into flame-wars.

The sad thing is you're probably right - there would be a bunch of autistic w*nkers who were obsessed with a certain technology set and just wanted to prove how smart they are and deride others, rather than having an actual debate or exchange of ideas.

I'm quite a pragmatic developer, i.e. I like building useful things and don't really mind how I do it; I've been to a few tech 'meet ups' where developers many orders of magnitude 'better' than me give demos of the things they're working on, but they all seem to be the sorts of people who couldn't actually talk to the average customer, wasting massive amounts of time on things that, whilst they are clever are not really any use to anyone. Their personal hygene was a bit hit and miss too.

Yeah, I bet my forum would be filled with those guys ;)

He's winding you up. Such fora always attract voices that are very partisan and committed to one platform over another, and will attack you on principle. You participate in fora that match your interests, and when evaluating things you're not familiar with you take a look at their own fora.

Various broadband, web development and hi-fi forums.

I do read Zerohedge sometimes but I don't participate since the overwhelming majority of people posting in the comments section appear to be complete fruitcakes.

Music and Vehicle forums for me. Very handy advice. :huh:

The sad thing is you're probably right - there would be a bunch of autistic w*nkers who were obsessed with a certain technology set and just wanted to prove how smart they are and deride others, rather than having an actual debate or exchange of ideas.

I'm quite a pragmatic developer, i.e. I like building useful things and don't really mind how I do it; I've been to a few tech 'meet ups' where developers many orders of magnitude 'better' than me give demos of the things they're working on, but they all seem to be the sorts of people who couldn't actually talk to the average customer, wasting massive amounts of time on things that, whilst they are clever are not really any use to anyone. Their personal hygene was a bit hit and miss too.

Yeah, I bet my forum would be filled with those guys ;)

Hmmph! :wacko:

Hmmph! :wacko:

I say this safely in the knowledge that I can, at times, be a bit autistic and a bit of a w*nker.

My personal hygene and general grooming is top notch, however.

I say this safely in the knowledge that I can, at times, be a bit autistic and a bit of a w*nker.

My personal hygene and general grooming is top notch, however.

I also! I too am pretty hygienic, although my my kitchen is a bit of a tip! I have met the "dirty people" of whom you speak.

You really don't want to sit next to them on the bus. :blink:

As for the techy stuff, I prefer Unix, but if the job is Windows/SQL Server, I'll do that. :(

I visit several white supremacist forums when I fancy taking a break from the Off Topic forum here.....

No you don't! I've never seen you there! :(

I also! I too am pretty hygienic, although my my kitchen is a bit of a tip! I have met the "dirty people" of whom you speak.

You really don't want to sit next to them on the bus. :blink:

As for the techy stuff, I prefer Unix, but if the job is Windows/SQL Server, I'll do that. :(

I'm from a microsoft background, now use oracle in my day job, and I'm using mysql in a few side projects. Jack of all trades!

Have you bought that bloody saxophone yet?