House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Turned Out Nice Again

50+ Ex-Londoner's Driving Rant

Drove up to see my my brother in London on Friday. I've been living on the South Coast for nearly 5 years now and wasn't prepared for how stressful driving in the Capital has now become.

- speed/ traffic light/ bus lane cameras are ubiquitous - seems like 3x as many as when I left.

- speed bumps on all side roads, and some main roads.

- the fat blond Etonian feckwit has enacted 20 mph speed limits everywhere in my absence (backed-up by cameras).

- On major roads, the speed limit can drop suddenly by 20-30 mph for no disscernable reason, eg. M4 final approach to London 70 (really 80) down to 60 with cameras every couple of miles; or the N. Circular suddenly going down from 50 to 30 at Finchley just before a GATSO. WTF?

- Nowhere to park. I found spaces in a side street but no machines. Instead a sign to "pay by telephone", upon phoning which number: "Press star if it's your first time using this service ... press 1 to open an account" FFS! to park for 30m in a suburb!

- Traffic lights turning amber just as I approach them -- although my brother suggested this was something I was doing with my mind, a sort-of powerful directed negative energy. He reckons I should contact Prof. Xavier of the X-Men.

Is it my age? or has everything really gone to hell?

London has been deliberately made difficult for the car driver IMO to force people onto public transport.

If you were to take up driving later in life and be faced with that on your driving lessons you would probably chuck it in there and then. And that would be what Boris wants.

I particularly enjoy, as a semi-regular weekend London driver, how they randomly toggle the bus lanes' hours of operation from Mon-Fri to permanently; sometimes several times back and forth within the same road. Most notably from St.John's Wood to Piccadilly.

Anyone'd think they're after fine revenue, the wags ...

London has been deliberately made difficult for the car driver IMO to force people onto public transport.

If you were to take up driving later in life and be faced with that on your driving lessons you would probably chuck it in there and then. And that would be what Boris wants.

Yep, nearly a decade in London from my mid 20s meant the whole learning to drive thing completely passed me by. I'll wait for self driving cars now.

Not strictly London but can apply to it, I've noticed how extra long traffic reports are in the morning. They are like an abridged War & Peace, they go on forever. Never used to. Even as recently as < 10 years ago.

I'm afraid at a council level when so few vote kneejerking is the dimwit councillor MO. He who moans the loudest, etc, 20 mph zones coming here why? Of course they'll be on roads that are perfectly fine at 30mph. Why not 25 mph? 20 mph is really slow. No justification - even if you look at the accident statistics - just pandering.

Speed bums! Not good for cars are they?

Most Londoners seem to love London.

Personally I wouldn't move anywhere near it for love nor money.. mainly for exactly this kind of reason.

Perhaps someone who has lived in London and somewhere else can explain what the attraction is?

Is this really the way you want the world to work?

If I to have run to catch a bus, do you think the best way to achieve it would be to put speed cameras on the blood flow to my legs and fine my heart for beating too fast?

What's the end result? My heart owes £2,000 and I miss the bus. Great!

Most Londoners seem to love London.

Personally I wouldn't move anywhere near it for love nor money.. mainly for exactly this kind of reason.

Perhaps someone who has lived in London and somewhere else can explain what the attraction is?

Brought up in Southern suburbs/Surrey. Wouldn't live there again, unless I become very rich. Prefer not to work there. Too crowded, and far too much built up, compared to when I was a kid.,

This is one of the inevitable consequences of overcrowding. London is at the forefront because it is a hotspot for new arrivals into the country, but other areas of the country are in a bad state too (M6, Birmingham, and Manchester from my experience). There's nothing wrong with immigrants, but there is something wrong when new infrastructure spend doesn't keep pace with new arrivals and people don't want new land to be built on. If we as a country don't have the money to keep pace with infrastructure spend then there is an obvious answer

It's Bank Holiday. Southampton was pretty bad (I was coming back from the Car Boot, so everyone was going the otherway), it was grid locked all the way from Ikea / West Quay Shopping Centre, all the way up to the Redbridge roundabout. People were getting really angry, that they might miss out on those Ikea sticks in a vase.

"It was the perfect storm"

Bank Holiday

Last Bank Holiday (isn't it?)

Football Match (Home game against Norwich)

Pay Day Weekend - must get those lampshades from Ikea - it will add £20K to the value of my house.

Last week or so until the kids are back

3 Cruise Ships were in at the docks - so people boarding/leaving The Queen Mary 2

Isle Wight Ferry usual boarding/loading of the cars for the Bank Holiday

Mayflower park was closed, disappointed traffic wanting a cheap day out heading home - works on the Southampton Boat Show.

It was a Sunny Day, Rain predicted on Monday

Blah blah blah.

This is one of the inevitable consequences of overcrowding. London is at the forefront because it is a hotspot for new arrivals into the country, but other areas of the country are in a bad state too (M6, Birmingham, and Manchester from my experience). There's nothing wrong with immigrants, but there is something wrong when new infrastructure spend doesn't keep pace with new arrivals and people don't want new land to be built on. If we as a country don't have the money to keep pace with infrastructure spend then there is an obvious answer

All of that is why there's something wrong with immigrants and why it's such a disaster. It would still be a disaster even if the infrastructure was built unless you're utterly weird and don't have a problem with more crap being built. And even then you can't keep doing that forever. Far better all round just to stop the whole ****ing insane business now.

- Nowhere to park. I found spaces in a side street but no machines. Instead a sign to "pay by telephone", upon phoning which number: "Press star if it's your first time using this service ... press 1 to open an account" FFS! to park for 30m in a suburb!

So if I was to drive to London I'd now need an additional piece of expensive high-tech equipment I'd have to carry around with me all the time and which would find little additional use just to park? This country has completely lost the plot.

So if I was to drive to London I'd now need an additional piece of expensive high-tech equipment I'd have to carry around with me all the time and which would find little additional use just to park? This country has completely lost the plot.

London has.

London has.

Tip of the iceberg at best. Plus by being rather badly oversized I suspect it leaves a lot of people thinking that the rest of the country isn't as bad as it really is, simply because it's not as bad as London. Don't miss what you've never experienced and all that.

I know everything is supposed to be the fault of recent immigrants, but it's worth noting that the number of vehicle miles travelled per year in Great Britain has actually been quite stable over the last 15 years.

roadtraffic_zpsovitifc8.png

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/317454/annual-road-traffic-estimates-2013.pdf

I spent nearly 13 hours on the road driving the return journey from the East Durham area to Heathrow Airport last Thursday, and for the majority of that time I was trapped in slow-moving/stationary traffic somewhere South of Leicester.

God I love the North-East..!

Please can you Southern loonies stay the fück down South where you all belong...?

Thank you.

XYY

I spent nearly 13 hours on the road driving the return journey from the East Durham area to Heathrow Airport last Thursday, and for the majority of that time I was trapped in slow-moving/stationary traffic somewhere South of Leicester.

Please can you Southern loonies stay the fück down South where you all belong...?

Thank you.

XYY

I'll not be going North now. You have put me off! :blink:

I'll not be going North now. You have put me off! :blink:

You - like all colours and creeds - are most welcome to come and live up here Pinny, and will be accepted warmly by all us locals.

But please leave your "Southern-ness" at Watford Gap services - there really is no need for that kind of cack anywhere North of Leeds...

;)

XYY

Thank you.XYY

Wife's on her way down from Middleborough with the kids as I write. 8 and 3/4 hours so far ... And counting!

I know everything is supposed to be the fault of recent immigrants, but it's worth noting that the number of vehicle miles travelled per year in Great Britain has actually been quite stable over the last 15 years.

roadtraffic_zpsovitifc8.png

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/317454/annual-road-traffic-estimates-2013.pdf

Interesting...be more interesting to see a regional breakdown though...I suspect Burnley has seen a lot smaller increase in congestion than say Bedford...without immigration you would expect it to fall anyway with an ageing population/more retirees...plus more youngsters at university until their mid 20s typically not driving.

I still contend immigrants are behind most of the increase in the Cambridge area :lol:

Wife's on her way down from Middleborough with the kids as I write. 8 and 3/4 hours so far ... And counting!

And I'll bet she was somewhere near Leicester 5 hours ago Nicey - I swear that time actually slows down once you enter the Midlands-meets-The-South-zone mate..!

But on the positive side, at least she's escaped from Middlesbrough - even Kurt Russell would struggle with that one...!

;)

XYY

I visited the UK in the last 3 weeks and I have to say that the traffic is absolutely horrendous

In Burnley I was horrified by the traffic, the noise and the amount of cars on those roads was a joke. This is a town similar size to where I live in Europe and here I see basically no cars... everyone cycles. The town would be so much nicer if there wasn't the amount of cars on the road.

The amount of poverty and human vegetables in that town was also horrendous, and Vince Cable reckons 'everyone should be like Burnley'. But that is another story. I cannot believe all politicians like Nick Clegg care about is wishy washy liberal ******** when there are shitholes like that in the UK.

I would actually ban everyone from journeys by car under 10km. At the moment it is a death trap to attempt cycling in the UK.

In London however it is completely outrageous. It used to take my dad 45mins to get to work on the M25- Croydon to Slough. It was taking him 2 hours while I was there in the past few weeks.