House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Turned Out Nice Again

Tv-Dinner Recommendations

Too lazy to cook last night, I picked-up a Ken Hom "Oriental Kitchen" Green Thai Chicken Curry with Rice from Tescos (more in hope than expectation) and was pleasantly surprised to get an authentic Thai curry and proper sticky rice after 6 minutes in the microwave.

Only grumble was the deceptive packaging: it's actually 2 smaller pots under that label, not as it seems, one big one.

Stlll ... @ 2 for £4, not bad at all.

(Picture below is the red curry, mine was the green - same packaging):

IDShot_540x540.jpg

What makes you think it has any connection with Ken Hom?

M&S curries have improved again recently - the jalfezi and prawn ones are particularly good. I only buy when they are yellow-stickered reduced though.

The Tesco and Sainsbury curries seem to me to be more and more watered down sauce now - and they seem afraid to have any actually hot curries presumably out of fear of being sued. I think the Aldi and Sainsburys ones are made in the same factory in Wales - is this true? If so, huge difference in price for two products.

What makes you think it has any connection with Ken Hom?

There's a picture of The Great Man + attribution on the side packaging.

I neglected to mention - in the spirit of HPC, the microwavable plastic container can, of course, be re-used for other left-overs.

M&S readies are worth the premium IMO - not sure you could rustle up a good one from scratch for the same money.

RE. Mr Hom (or is it Mr Ken!?) his nameless rival from Tesco is identical, or at least comparable in quality, and is available on the £6 'big night in' deal, but shhhh!!! Though quite why a microwave ready meal constitutes a big night in is unclear ...

Has anyone ever had one of those microwave burgers? I'm tempted to buy one out of curiosity but worry i will be judged.

I saw a morbidly curvy bloke buying loads in Aldi. Be careful, they might be addictive.

For years, nay decades, the only thing that's tasted halfway decent in the microwave apart from baked beans has been frozen curry.

Food that has been microwaved is no longer fit for human consumption, use a standard oven instead.

Not a great link to be honest Mr Eagle.. He didn't offer a single explanation to back up his general thesis that microwaves turn everything into "toxins". He seemed a bit nutty.

Edit to add: Sorry, nothing much to contribute on the TV dinners front unless pizzas count. In which case Chicago Town "The Take-Away" ones.. but usually only if they're on offer, otherwise they're a bit pricey.

Not a great link to be honest Mr Eagle..

Agreed it was the first link I found.

That said the fact that microwaves make food unfit for human consumption has been known since at least the 80's (my parents never bought a microwave oven because of that) and some years ago I did come across some studies from the 80's or early 90's that confirmed that. Some internet search should turn them up again.

Agreed it was the first link I found.

That said the fact that microwaves make food unfit for human consumption has been known since at least the 80's (my parents never bought a microwave oven because of that) and some years ago I did come across some studies from the 80's or early 90's that confirmed that. Some internet search should turn them up again.

What's wrong with microwaved food? It just heats it up. :blink:

He's upset you can't use tin foil in a microwave.

Best say no more then! Lizards might be logged in! :(

You can make your own.Thai style curry in about 20 minutes.

You can make your own.Thai style curry in about 20 minutes.

Yes, but there are times when you don't have the time or energy to do it/shop for all the ingredients.

The first time we tried M&S Thai curries was after a long drive from Devon, coming home late with nothing in the fridge, so picked up a couple at a petrol station on the way home. I think they were 2 for £7 - we were very impressed. My other quick nosh in such circs is 2 big baked potatoes (14 mins in combination microwave) + tin of beans + grated mature cheddar. Yum.

I'm really shocked by this thread. Ready meals? I thought everyone on here only ate knitted lentils.

I'm really shocked by this thread. Ready meals? I thought everyone on here only ate knitted lentils.

I'm not that thrifty, and I do like to enjoy food. There's plenty of "food" for those who do not enjoy it!. Greggs! :blink:

Ready meals are pure filth. Far better to fill a tray of your favourite supplements, vitamins and herbal remedies and chow down on that in front of the telly.