House Price Crash Forum

‘Almost Perfect’ Battery From Mit Will Last Longer, Won’T Degrade - And Never Blow Up In Your Face

libspero

HOLA441

Material scientists have developed a solid-state electrolyte, which can greatly boost modern battery technology. It would allow batteries to endure hundreds of thousands of recharges, pack more juice and be safe from combustion.

Electrolyte is one of key components of a battery, transporting charged ions from one electrode to another during charging and discharging. Modern lithium-ion batteries use liquid electrolyte, but a group of scientists claim to have developed a better all-round solid-state electrolyte. The research was published in Nature Materials in a paper by MIT postdoc Yan Wang, visiting professor Gerbrand Ceder, and five others.

More at link:

https://www.rt.com/news/313799-mit-battery-solid-electrolyte/

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Great news. Batteries have lagged behind other tech for ages.

If they can make them low cost and from abundant materials then we really will see something revolutionary.

Especially for those with green aspirations in mind.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

Stock investing scam.

Unlikely.

The research was conducted in collaboration with the Korean consumer electronic producer Samsung through its Advanced Institute of Technology in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

More likely we will see it exclusively in Samsung products.

HOLA449

I always remember my Economics teacher at school saying that the everlasting lightbulb had been invented but that GEC had bought the patent and binned it on the grounds of commercial expediency..

I was not convinced at the time and this seems equally fishy ...

HOLA4410

I always remember my Economics teacher at school saying that the everlasting lightbulb had been invented but that GEC had bought the patent and binned it on the grounds of commercial expediency..

LED lightbulbs have a long life. We are almost there with those.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

He could have been talking crap but I once got shown, by someone at a large multinational chemicals conglomerate, a load of superior stuff they'd bought up over the years and buried in a drawer because it competed with their key brands.

I've witnessed one or two of the products creep into the market, from them, presumably due to a competitor product they couldn't control. Some of this was products most people would consider pretty tame/inconsequential yet a lot of energy and money obviously went into protecting their market.

HOLA4413

I suspect a certain amount of planned obsolescence / designed-in failure is essential in FMCG or ancillary markets such as lightbulbs and batteries.

I would cynically and perhaps unfairly cite the case of Dyson vacuums: here is a premium, high-margin product, with a reputation for superiority, but built like a Fisher Price toy- as the thousands of examples littering car boot sales in bits will testify.

What's the point of making a product so good that you'll never need to buy another, hence eliminating repeat business?

HOLA4414

I was about to reply but this guy sums it up well:

"Yet Another Game Changer... Must be #55 or something lost count. Didn't hear much anymore from the other 54 'game changers'"

There are hundreds of new promising technologies that appear every year. Some succeed and some don't.

Pretty much every component in a modern smartphone was a game changer at some point, from the lithuim battery to the processor, the flat panel display and the rf/comms technology.

Regarding more fundamental technology, like graphene for example, you only have to look at the discovery/development process to see that this can take a long time. In many ways its often easier to do the fundamental science and see the potential, than it is to engineer a product that takes advantage of that potential.

Archived