House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Masked Tulip

Next Monday - Big Sales?

I was in B&Q this week about to buy some DIY stuff that I can't put off till after Christmas and one of the shop assistants came up to and whispered "Everything is going to be half price Friday"... which was nice of her... although I am still waiting for the TV ads annoucing this.

However, this weekend is going to be a bit of a 'who blinks first' between shoppers and sellers IMPO. It is the last weekend before Christmas with a full week next week. What are the odds that retailers will wait and see how this weekend pans out before annoucing bigger discounts next week?

The retailers have shot themselves in the foot the last few Xmas'. The shoppers now know that if they hold out long enough, the retailers WILL blink first.

Then theres the ones who just can't afford Xmas this year even if there are sales.....................

I've noticed plenty of shops in the last few months with special 10% or 20% off days. These are not your traditional sales or even to pickup trade on a slow wednesday these are desperate measures by retailers to get people into the shop and buying stuff.

Seems like a desperate measure to me, trying to squeeze the last penny from an in debt nation. I've taken the chance to use this to my advantage and buy things I would have been looking to buy maybe in 2-3 weeks.

All this has done in my opinion is made people spend the money today rather than tomorrow, if you have a pound to spend then thats it you can't spend it twice.

Would it serve people right if they didn't reduce prices? Could they afford not to?

And major reductions in the high street in the last few days is something the internet can't handle because of delivery etc.

Argos is having problems with the site - presumably they'd rather people came into the store and queue.

Argos is having problems with the site - presumably they'd rather people came into the store and queue.

Our local Argos decided that this would be a good time of year to refit the store whilst it's still open :rolleyes: