House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
workingpoor

The End Of The Solar Industry (Surprise Move)

Government announce a surprise move that will effectivley end the solar industry in one brutal stroke, this will put alot of firms out of business.

feed in tarrif dropped 90% to £1.63 from Jan 2016.

Anyone got these? i have some friends who are installers they will probably lose their jobs.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/energy/solarpower/11829471/Ministers-signal-the-end-of-Britains-solar-revolution.html

Ministers say that they plan to slash the amount of money given to families who put solar panels on their homes

Britain's solar boom is over after ministers announced they would offer virtually no subsidies for people to install panels on their homes.

In a surprise move, ministers on Thursday said that they plan to slash the amount of money given to families who put solar panels on their homes.

Under the new proposals, the amount paid to homeowners under the feed-in tariff from next year will fall by nearly 90 per cent. Experts said that it will lower the payments to households by around £192 a year.

The Coalition government introduced a generous subsidy scheme to encourage households to install solar panels, triggering a boom that far exceeded ministers expectations.

Edited by workingpoor

French govt pulled a similar stunt about 4yrs ago. There were so many people who decided to switch to solar, that the state energy supplier EDF, complained. (There were some other reasons, but this was the main one).

So subsidising nuclear with billions is seen as necessary - but solar can go hang. Shameful.

Doubtless those who have already signed up will scoop their loot from the rest of us for the remaining decades of their deals. Another transfer from generally young and poor to generally old and rich.

Yep - we've got ours, now get f$cked.

Not many landlords installing sonar - why would they bother? - so something else tenants get to miss out on.

A few more years and solar is likely to be viable without any subsidy, especially with the way home battery is evolving. Off-grid could be a real possibility, must admit I do quite fancy that idea. Doubt the power companies think the same though..

Doubtless those who have already signed up will scoop their loot from the rest of us for the remaining decades of their deals. Another transfer from generally young and poor to generally old and rich.

Nail-on-head. The benefit is mainly for people who own their own homes - so people who owned their own homes from about 15 years ago to nowish get the benefit, but new entrants can't.

That said, the subsidy has moved the market in the UK

- if you buy your own panels and stick them up yourself, you get a return of about 5% on the cheaper electricity bills. No subsidy, no extra payments and to rub salt into it all have to pay VAT on the purchases.

- The installers work to a return for the householder of around 5% - so calculate the subsidy the householder will get, multiply the FIT by 20 or so, and you get the installation price. When the FIT reduced in 2012 the installation prices miraculously reduced markedly. No doubt they'll do so again.

You see the same with heat pumps - You can get a really decent branded heat pump for a couple of k, and installation is trivial. The installers ramp up the costs because the householder needs an accredited installation to get the subsidy.

[What I really hate is when the installers moan about 'killing off the important UK renewables industry' - they're just installing foreign made black-boxes]

I'm sympathetic to your friends jobs but you should always be careful when you have a job which is dependent on government largess - they'll happily change the setup and leave you destitute*. That said, the Government will likely mandate that all new builds will have solar, which will keep people employed - only the construction industry will bill on a day-rate for the job, so the pay won't be so lucrative**.

*Apart from the financial services industry.

My friend had solar panels installed about 6 months ago and was banging on / bragging about the subsidies. When I told him that it was all going to come to an end and the govt cant afford it he got rather defensive stating that "the govt have promised and they have to pay out"

I laughed so loudly out loud, i think his neighbours heard it.

My friend had solar panels installed about 6 months ago and was banging on / bragging about the subsidies. When I told him that it was all going to come to an end and the govt cant afford it he got rather defensive stating that "the govt have promised and they have to pay out"

Have a BBQ tomorrow, invite him round

I have to admit i have though about doing this. Now there is no chance i will do this.

The only hope to change this is a battery to store energy off grid.

Some saying that if you have these roof panels fitted there are maintaince issues like if a couple of roof tiles crack underneath the panels it becomes a costly job to strip & refit, also putting them on old houses that probably need a re-roof and then having to have it all off and on again, some talk of heat sink in the surounding areas of roof too & possibly problems with home insurance.

My friends who are in this industry have gone from loft insulation (sunk by the end of the green deal) to cavity wall insulation (sunk by people sussing that it caused damp) to just switching to solar installation which i think will now fall through as the company seems to be one of these that rely on government largess with the subsidies.

Edited by workingpoor

At least it is not a supply-side problem with the solar industry. Phew.

Yep.

Sorry to break it to you but the subsidies once installed are fairly much guaranteed - it is the subsidy for new installations that is reducing. Those that have already had it installed are the ones who are laughing.

Oh, and the subsidies are paid from your power bills, not the government.

I should hope not. What possible purpose could a landlord have for installing sonar?

;)

It would make sense when you install hidden CCTV in all the rooms, to add audio :ph34r:

Maybe one or two experts on here can help me?

I`m a council dweller and I turned down having solar panels fitted. (apparently I`d have got a 5% `return`)

Did I do the right thing?

Maybe one or two experts on here can help me?

I`m a council dweller and I turned down having solar panels fitted. (apparently I`d have got a 5% `return`)

Did I do the right thing?

Were you going to have a rent rise to pay for the privilege of potential fuel savings ?

It didn't make much of a financial sense, given need for to maintain and repair, even with the current tariff. If, on the other hand, there are cheaper and longer serving batteries available (which are coming), then a low-voltage and partly off-grid custom installation will save money. That is, with low voltage LED lighting and low-voltage USB sockets for everything but kitchen appliancies.

Fantastic news. These people getting the solar panels are just sponging of the hard work of others the same way BTL'ers and welfare scammers do. This is a step on the way to recovery.

Incidentally I read a story where it was claimed Cameron briefed his ministers regarding energy policy to: "get rid of all the green crap". A quick google, here is the source: http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2013/nov/21/david-cameron-green-crap-comments-storm