House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Not Doing The Housework Is Making Women Fat

Not doing enough housework is 'making women fat', study claims

The average female now spends almost 20 per cent less time on chores than her counterpart in the early 1980s, researchers from Manchester University and Royal Holloway, University of London, found.

Only 20%? I can think of two trends that should each account for at least that: equality of the sexes, and more household electricals to automate the chores. Even the improvement of regular cleaning materials to reduce elbow-grease.

Which begs the question: what definition of chores are they using?

Dr Luhrmann actually a lecturer in economics?

Is this the original report, published by the Institute of Fiscal Studies?

http://www.ifs.org.uk/bns/bn142.pdf

Some nice crappy citations there I wouldn't wipe my ass with.

Not sure why an economic lecturer feels they are qualified to comment on energy balance and the physiology of energy metabolism.

Ah yes, they 'assume' that all we need is exercise and to eat less and magically obesity will disappear. How silly of me, it's all so simple. Must be why these exercise and diet regimens always work so well.

I don't think it's true, but it's a fantastic conversation starter when you meet overweight women and/or feminists,

Or an opening chat up line, I'm looking for a cleaner you appear to be the right size and keen. Or alertnatively I can see your a slob and don't do any housework we are a match made in heaven....

Eating low quality food full of sugar and oxidised fats makes people fat. I really cant see exercise having much effect at all. Not at the intensity most people do it at.

Tend to agree the super fit mates of mine who train hard triathletes and the like eat very well but no C*** a favourite saying is you can't out train a poor diet

Thats why the nutribullet works so well

Dr Luhrmann actually a lecturer in economics? [/size]

Is this the original report, published by the Institute of Fiscal Studies?

http://www.ifs.org.uk/bns/bn142.pdf

Some nice crappy citations there I wouldn't wipe my ass with.

Not sure why an economic lecturer feels they are qualified to comment on energy balance and the physiology of energy metabolism.

Ah yes, they 'assume' that all we need is exercise and to eat less and magically obesity will disappear. How silly of me, it's all so simple. Must be why these exercise and diet regimens always work so well.

Just reread your excellent blog post on weight loss. I made a few fairly minor dietary changes about three months ago and promptly lost a stone*.

Edit * of fat!

Tend to agree the super fit mates of mine who train hard triathletes and the like eat very well but no C*** a favourite saying is you can't out train a poor diet

Hmmm...

Dwellings are probably 20% smaller.

Small dwellings make people fat. (on average)

If trends continue, people will end up larger than their dwellings, then there will be no need to do any housework at all.

It probably has some impact - as its ******ing hard work !! I avoid as much as possible. It's hard work that I don't enjoy.

Just reread your excellent blog post on weight loss. I made a few fairly minor dietary changes about three months ago and promptly lost a stone*.

Edit * of fat!

Thanks you for the kind words, hopefully i will help as many people as possible.

More waste of money on this study. I wonder who funded it? I'll try and find out.

As mentioned before it's the crap diet many are eating that makes people fat. Lots of vested interests out there who want to keep selling crap food to the masses.

I'm another fan of Dr Barrington's site. Thank you for all the work you put into it.

Just reread your excellent blog post on weight loss. I made a few fairly minor dietary changes about three months ago and promptly lost a stone*.Edit * of fat!

Could you post a link please, cheers

In true Lewis Gordon Pugh style I must argue strongly against the calories in/calories out nonsense and point to the insulin sensitising effects of resistance training.

EDIT:

The best video on diet I've ever seen.

Peoples shit diets do not make them fat - they certainly help them along the way though.

That's my opinion anyway. I have known loads of skinny people who ate nothing but total shite. Unless they are all just freaks of nature - the black and white "crap diet makes you fat" theory is simply not true.

In fact - up until the age of my early 30's my diet was also complete shite. I generally had a 6 pack during that time.

I can't believe someone telling me something - if I have personally lived the opposite and seen the results on myself. Nope - just not possible.

I totally agree about the nightmare of many foods out there though and their negative affects. Totally. I happen to bore a lot of my friends and family with it to be honest :)

In true Lewis Gordon Pugh style I must argue strongly against the calories in/calories out nonsense and point to the insulin sensitising effects of resistance training.

EDIT:

The best video on diet I've ever seen.

Even he doesn't discount a varied amount of training to help you along with an improved diet - resistance and aerobic.

Even he doesn't discount a varied amount of training to help you along with an improved diet - resistance and aerobic.

I exercise myself and always recommend exercise in moderation. The problem we have is that the food industry spends a lot of money trying to convince people that energy balance is key and that bad foods are okay in moderation if you exercise and count calories. I do not think that is true. I do think it is spin to maintain sales of low quality disease producing foods.

'Health starts with diet. Fitness starts with exercise.' That is what I believe.

Yes I agree there does seem to be a 'just go on have a bit won't do you harm' angle to lots of foods.

Difficult for folk to cut all these things out 100% - myself included !!

I am going along the 'cutting down' route instead. I know I can do that so its achievable.

I should point out that calories in/calories out is not nonsense, it is fundamental and is a pretty reasonable approximation. The problem comes is that if you assume that CICO is the means, rather than the end.

So, if you have a population of people that have a steady weight, then you can be reasonably confident that their calorie intake matches their calorie output, so I disagree with the claim that this is not an appropriate measure for the study.

However, if you want to tell people to deliberately control one or the other, then you have a problem, because if the body's natural processes "want" to maintain a calorie surplus then it is very difficult to try to fight that, and that is why people abandon diet programs. Dieting *does* work, but only for so long as people can maintain it, which is usually not very long.

The video you linked explains why this is the case. Refined carbohydrate diets and sugar mess up insulin and glucose metabolism. These foods tend to make you tired, lethargic and reluctant to exercise (effects of high levels of insulin, and high levels of insulin are why insulin resistant people don't get a "sugar rush"). They also make you hungry (because glucose levels tend to crash because of the high insulin levels), and there is also a third effect which is that they prevent you feeling satiety, so not only are you desperate to eat more often, but you don't get the feeling of when to stop.

This is why diets like paleo and Atkins have better long-term success than most commercial diet plans. They actually get to the root of the problem which is the fact that unnatural foods: refined carbs and free sugar are toxic. And by providing a simple set of rules, which people can follow without difficulty, they can easily become a permanent lifestyle change.