House Price Crash Forum
reddog

Uk Running On Empty?

Think of all those 'twits' driving around in their leased Audi / BMW / Range Rover, showing everyone they are 'living the dream'.

When the reality is they can't even afford to fill up the tank. What a messed up world we live in!

my sister had bf who kept running his car till it had no petrol in. He was special sort of idiot.

My mums micra as warning that start when you have 50miles of fuel left. Just beep ,beeps and beeps. Apparently it drives her so mad she never runs the car dry

The best one I came across was a farming family where they would run their cars until they ran out of oil! It kept my mate in beer rebuilding the engines. One day one of the children said their week old Alfa Romeo would not start. On examination it was found the exhaust pipe was comprehensively flattened preventing the exhaust gas escaping. It had been driven up a farm track at speed.

" Stupid is as stupid does".

While living in rural France we always made sure we had enough petrol to get to the hospital. Not doing so nearly cost a friend her life when she was stung by a hornet.

Whenever I go anywhere I am surrounded by range rovers beemers all the luxury brands, the other day I was at traffic lights surrounded by 5 evoques. This despite living in yorkshire where the median wage is about 20k. The sort of stupidity that rents a luxury car and cant afford to run/maintain it is exactly the reasons houses are so expensive because these same morons have access to house "credit".

The information under the headline almost appears to suggest that it is fuel not break downs which have trebled since 2011, that's how I read it.

Edited by crashmonitor

Maybe the car makers can limit the car to 25mph if there is less than 50 miles left in the tank. People would fill up out of boredom or if they are really skint it will save them money by burning less fuel. Imagine all those Chelsea Tractors creeping away from the lights instead of storming up the backside of anyone who has the temerity to drive sensibly.

In some cars they do a misfire when you are near empty my old Toyota deliberately misfired to wake you up, my new car takes over the infotainment and starts the satnav to direct you to the nearest filling station.

Im more worried by the fact if someone is not paying attention to the amount of fuel they probably aren't paying attention elsewhere too and this seems to be apparent in the multitude of minor collisions I have witnessed these past few weeks. I only cycle a few miles and I am seeing one collision a week now, all driver error from not paying attention.

In some cars they do a misfire when you are near empty my old Toyota deliberately misfired to wake you up, my new car takes over the infotainment and starts the satnav to direct you to the nearest filling station.

Im more worried by the fact if someone is not paying attention to the amount of fuel they probably aren't paying attention elsewhere too and this seems to be apparent in the multitude of minor collisions I have witnessed these past few weeks. I only cycle a few miles and I am seeing one collision a week now, all driver error from not paying attention.

Very sensible post - personally think its got less to do with not affording to run the car than the general laziness/fruitbat attention span/declining knowledge about how anything works of the wider population

do they not realise that the 'sludge' in the bottom of the petrol tank is not the best thing for your engine (or do modern cars with lights for everything mainatain a sludge free tank) - their ignorance is mystifying. in my old car I would watch the petrol guage as it veered towards empty -then if it hovered on empty when going 'downhill' I knew it was time to top up.

in the same telegraph :

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/property/11826138/In-pictures-Beautiful-homes-in-the-10-happiest-and-most-affordable-commuter-towns.html

so cash in on your London property and commute from a happy place (Basingstoke! :o )

sorry off topic for this thread.

ah confirms what I've been thinking for a long time. OK I drive I small 1.2 car - I suspect I will morph into Jeremy Corbin when I get older, and look like a geography teacher. But anyway, I see people who put in £60-£90 to fill up their luxury car or even £10 if they are skint. Whilst I can fill up the tank from £25-30 which is no skin off my nose.

Are people getting more stupid? They aren't thinking about filling up maybe because they are blindsided by their smartphones in the last ten years? Are they thinking that the fuel warning beep is another fancy sound of Candy Crush? Or are people really skint? I think it is the later rather than dumbing down (but it might be a factor), because I am seeing a secondary wave of pound shops doing well.

E.g. In Southampton, We've got a shiny new B&M Bargains superstore that has opened, which has opened in the derelict (for about 3 years) Comet electricals superstore. There's a new Lidl opening near Thornhill - this is under construction now. The Pound Stretcher in Totton has had a refit, and they are stocked up high with more stock, more than ever - literately 10 ft high shelves (almost unsafe) with food items for £1 or just over.

--

A Morrisons has opened in the Shirely High Street, but this has closed after one year of opening. News article of it's opening in 2013 http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/10429938.Morrisons_opens_new_Southampton_store/This shiny store is now closed!

Also the proposed new development of the Morrisons superstore in East Street hangs in the air - "Landowner Concerns" http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/11748841.Question_mark_hangs_over_the_future_of_major_Morrisons_development/?ref=mrJanuary 2015.

Whenever I go anywhere I am surrounded by range rovers beemers all the luxury brands, the other day I was at traffic lights surrounded by 5 evoques. This despite living in yorkshire where the median wage is about 20k. The sort of stupidity that rents a luxury car and cant afford to run/maintain it is exactly the reasons houses are so expensive because these same morons have access to house "credit".

I always find myself surrounded by Audis and BMWs. 25-30 years ago as a young car fan I used to enjoy seeing an Audi or another prestige brand on the roads. Now I find it treat seeing a new Ford Mondeo on the road. How the roles have reversed. :rolleyes:

As for the stupidity of people pricing a lot of others out of the housing market, let's hope there is a correction very soon.

I always find myself surrounded by Audis and BMWs. 25-30 years ago as a young car fan I used to enjoy seeing an Audi or another prestige brand on the roads. Now I find it treat seeing a new Ford Mondeo on the road. How the roles have reversed. :rolleyes:

As for the stupidity of people pricing a lot of others out of the housing market, let's hope there is a correction very soon.

I find many newish Audi owners to be careless drivers.

On a related note....

Motor trade not ready for biggest consumer rights shake-up for 40 years, says training group

http://www.swindon-business.net/index.php/2015/08/28/motor-trade-not-ready-for-biggest-consumer-rights-shake-up-for-40-years-says-training-group/

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

do they not realise that the 'sludge' in the bottom of the petrol tank

URBAN MYTH

The petrol tank could work in two ways. 1) there could be a hole at the bottom of the fuel tank in which case any sludge would just go into the engine even when full 2) there is a pipe that just sticks up above the bottom in which case the sludge would remain at the bottom of the tank when empty.

Have a think about what would happen to any sludge in the bottom of the tank through normal driving. I think it would be mixed up with all the rest of the petrol don't you?

I quite shamefully enjoy trying to eek out 450-500 miles out of my car per tank. It's a game whilst commuting, which reminds.me of an old Seinfeld episode where Kramer takes a Saab salesman for a ride.

Anyway, to do that i have to sail fairly close to the wind with regard to running on empty according to the car, but it does have an analogue gauge, a warning light and a digital one.

To ignore all three would require some pretty special effort.

Edit to say, having read what the article is actually about, I can well believe it, though not once would I drive round to find cheaper petrol, despite my username - it's not worth the effort. What would I save on 56 litres, about £2 max. How is that worth your time?

Also, I remember having a bit of a slanging match with someone who was blocking a pump at the petrol station because they didn't want to buy super unleaded at the pump they were sitting at blocking waiting for the guy in front to move. When they did move, they put in a tenners worth of normal. So what were they actually saving, about 30p? Whilst inconveniencing everyone else- I was on the motorbike, so could easily have let me in and then nipped round if they had had any sense. Utterly pathetic.

Nice to get that one out, cathartic.

Edited by Frugal Git

olliegog, on 27 Aug 2015 - 3:43 PM, said:

do they not realise that the 'sludge' in the bottom of the petrol tank

URBAN MYTH

The petrol tank could work in two ways. 1) there could be a hole at the bottom of the fuel tank in which case any sludge would just go into the engine even when full 2) there is a pipe that just sticks up above the bottom in which case the sludge would remain at the bottom of the tank when empty.

Have a think about what would happen to any sludge in the bottom of the tank through normal driving. I think it would be mixed up with all the rest of the petrol don't you?

I had some running issues with my first car about 15 years ago, it was a 1985 VW. I took the petrol tank off on the advice of others that it would be sludged up or full of silt. It was a barsteward job, and when I got the thing off, there wasn't a damn bit of dirt in it!

but running empty probably not a good thing, stress on the pump/injectors with a mix of fuel/air.

From the pound shop video above

"How they do it I'll never know"

and they're trying to keep it that way. Mind the pound shops are great value and really demonstrate the rip off overpricing most everywhere else.

Edited by billybong