House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mrs Bear

Never Too Late...

I have just read on another (music) forum of someone who first picked up a flute at the age of 67 and 8 years later at 75 has just passed their grade 8 with merit.

Gives me hope and inspiration for the piano, which I took up again 3 years ago having only ever passed grade 2 back in the very olden days when I was ten.

Your [sic] in good company.....

That's not a piano. And why all those exhibition-size microphones?

(Amongst senior politicians, Ted Heath was famously a reasonably-serious amateur conductor).

I came across this Chinese proverb the other day:

"The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is now."

Resonated with me, as I continue to make good on my dreams of youth!

That's not a piano. And why all those exhibition-size microphones?

(Amongst senior politicians, Ted Heath was famously a reasonably-serious amateur conductor).

Thanks for the (sic), the way my brain works with words might be a clue to why I was bloody hopeless when it came to playing the piano.

This guy started on a whole new career at the age of 54, it really is never too late:

King was released last year having spent months in custody on remand.

But days later he was spotted striding through Exeter city centre wearing nothing but a pink suspender belt and an Alice band.

He also exposed himself to motorists at the busy Penn Inn roundabout at Newton Abbot in January this time.

This time he was wearing only jewellery and chocolate body paint – not enough to stop him complaining to drivers that he was freezing. :lol:

The latest offence was committed within weeks of his release from prison for that offence.

King has previously told a court that he only started offending at the age of 54.

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/Naked-man-smothered-cream-Plymouth-city-centre/story-27608440-detail/story.html

I have just read on another (music) forum of someone who first picked up a flute at the age of 67 and 8 years later at 75 has just passed their grade 8 with merit.

Gives me hope and inspiration for the piano, which I took up again 3 years ago having only ever passed grade 2 back in the very olden days when I was ten.

Do you want to be a pilot in the Gurt Clodney Harvest Festival Rocket Powered Grand Piano Trebuchet Event?

Rumours are that Felching Barton has better rockets, but our piano is more aerodynamic. And of course it is perfectly safe. :blink:

I have strange desires to purchase a saxophone.

"The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is now."

I like it!

Will carry on nurturing my piano tree.

Do you want to be a pilot in the Gurt Clodney Harvest Festival Rocket Powered Grand Piano Trebuchet Event?

Rumours are that Felching Barton has better rockets, but our piano is more aerodynamic. And of course it is perfectly safe. :blink:

I have strange desires to purchase a saxophone.

'Twould be an honour, Mr P! Once you've bought that sax and can knock out Roll Out The Barrel on it.

I'm terrible at instruments, but the way I see it is I, like most people, was terrible at typing on a computer at first. Now, like most people, I type quickly without even looking at the keyboard.

I think if people spent as much time playing the piano as they do typing, we'd all be very good.

'Twould be an honour, Mr P! Once you've bought that sax and can knock out Roll Out The Barrel on it.

I just like musical instruments. I got a keyboard when I was 50. I only went in the shop for guitar strings. Some idiots here on OT made me purchase a ukulele. I just don't have an instrument you need to blow into. I thought I still had a recorder, but that might have been lost in the house move. I suppose a harmonica might be economical.

I'm terrible at instruments, but the way I see it is I, like most people, was terrible at typing on a computer at first. Now, like most people, I type quickly without even looking at the keyboard.

I think if people spent as much time playing the piano as they do typing, we'd all be very good.

Thats a decent point.

Thats a decent point.

The reason a lot of "old" people play piano, is when they were growing up, it was the only "entertainment centre" in the house.

Up to a point, Lord Copper. But the skills of a computer keyboard (in which most of the world shares some level of adequacy) is not in the same league as the piano, which most of us sadly lack. Mere practice may be brought up to Grade 8 (as in the OP) with an infusion of technique that's already rather more than mere secretarial touch-typing, but that is in turn well short of what you'd expect in a public performance.

Up to a point, Lord Copper. But the skills of a computer keyboard (in which most of the world shares some level of adequacy) is not in the same league as the piano, which most of us sadly lack. Mere practice may be brought up to Grade 8 (as in the OP) with an infusion of technique that's already rather more than mere secretarial touch-typing, but that is in turn well short of what you'd expect in a public performance.

OK, it's hardly professional pianist standard, but grade 8 is pretty damned accomplished. Someone in my group class passed her grade 8 recently and I'd be very well pleased if I could ever play at that level.

OK, it's hardly professional pianist standard, but grade 8 is pretty damned accomplished. Someone in my group class passed her grade 8 recently and I'd be very well pleased if I could ever play at that level.

Agreed. Wish I had the technique to play the piano, and admire those who do.

Of course, the technique is just part of it. I have three good friends who are happy to accompany me: all low-level professional musicians who scrape by on gigs like teaching, playing for groups, playing church organ. Two of them are technically well beyond Grade 8, one of them rather less so (I think Grade 8 is her highest formal qualification). Two of them are great as accompanists, one is very difficult to work with. Only one of them falls into both those twos, if you draw the Venn Diagram.

Reminds me of a story about oak trees needing to be planted to provide wood for Royal Navy ships. When told that it takes 100 years for the oak to reach maturity, <insert famous person's name> said "Quick, not a moment to lose!"

Can't remember who said it. It'll come back to me.

Reminds me of a story about oak trees needing to be planted to provide wood for Royal Navy ships. When told that it takes 100 years for the oak to reach maturity, <insert famous person's name> said "Quick, not a moment to lose!"

Can't remember who said it. It'll come back to me.

He who plants a walnut tree

Plants it for posterity...

I agree on the "never too late" thing. I'm still waiting for "my calling".

I think it's going to be writing a novel. I know the plot, I even started a thread for research purposes a year or so ago and have the responses saved.

The problem is with getting started.

I recall slagging off William Shatner not so long ago as a terrible actor. Who put out some fairly dismal music. Who starred in a long running TV series, and some films.

I see little talent. But what I do see is ambition and a determination to try his hand at anything and enjoy himself. Though it may pain me to say so, I'd like some of that please, it is admirable.

I agree on the "never too late" thing. I'm still waiting for "my calling".

I think it's going to be writing a novel. I know the plot, I even started a thread for research purposes a year or so ago and have the responses saved.

The problem is with getting started.

I recall slagging off William Shatner not so long ago as a terrible actor. Who put out some fairly dismal music. Who starred in a long running TV series, and some films.

I see little talent. But what I do see is ambition and a determination to try his hand at anything and enjoy himself. Though it may pain me to say so, I'd like some of that please, it is admirable.

you forgot ... billionaire?

William Shatner a stock market billionaire?

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/william-shatner-stock-market-billionaire-20110330-041213-009.html

'When 'Star Trek' Captain Kirk became Priceline's pitchman more than a decade ago, he smartly (or desperately) decided to be paid in stock.
After a brief run during the tech boom Priceline shares went into the dump, bottoming out below 2 dollars.
Then the run began.
Though it's not known how many shares or options Shatner was given, or if he has held onto them, reports last year were that his stake was worth some 600 million dollars. And that was when Priceline was trading at a mere 300 dollars/share, reports the Fox News.
With the stock up nearly 200 dollars more/share since then, its possible Shatner is getting darn close to being a good, old fashioned stock market billionaire.'

My dad has never had a music lesson in his life and does not read music, but he can play the piano and accordian..... Just listens to any tune and after a few goes can play almost perfectly...

My dad has never had a music lesson in his life and does not read music, but he can play the piano and accordian..... Just listens to any tune and after a few goes can play almost perfectly...

That's the real skill.

By sheer hard work I could at one point play the flute and the guitar. I sounded very good but it was purely repetition and imitation.

As the miserable pig said earlier most people can do this if they work hard enough at it. And it was very satisfying to achieve this, it was an end in itself.

But the natural talent that would take you onto the next levels - composing, improvising, songwriting - was not then there for me.

Had I not learnt those instruments I wouldn't have known this.

I may pick up an instrument again in the next few years and do the grades (I forget what I got for the flute) as a pleasant exercise of skill.

That is skill. I am led to believe the real skill is in doing that and reading the music..

My 9 year old son can just pick up his guitar and play video game soundtracks off the top of his head. He'll just play a bit and then ask me what MarioCart circuit has that music. I usually recognise it but cannot place it because it's just background noise to me, but he hears it while he's playing, remembers it, and can repeat it at will. Amazes me as I have no musical skill at all.