House Price Crash Forum

Just Had A Gluten Relapse

The Masked Tulip

HOLA441

I'm also a big fan of probiotics - quite often make sauerkraut, but I'm into this stuff at the moment:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vibrant-Health-Green-Vibrance-Family/dp/B000NDME6C

It's bloody expensive, but really good stuff. Tastes like shit though.

Thanks for this link. I had looked at this before but forgotten all about it. Found the label at the bottom of the page http://www.vibranthealth.com/green-vibrance/product-pages/green-vibrance incredible amount of good stuff - 1,000 i.u vitamin D3 in each serving, vitamin K, iodine, well just about everything. Only low I was surprised at was magnesium. Think I’m sold.

Apparently AVC is very easy to make though I haven't tried that yet.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

The mother ?

I imagine cider is better than cider vinegar. :( Actually I don't have to imagine it here in turnipland.

HOLA443

The "mother" in cider vinegar is a big blob of gloop floating about, you only find it in organic non filtered and non pasteurised (i think) cider vinegar.

It has all the proteins and enzymes intact and seems much more effective than supermarket acv.

I've found it usually in health food shops, its usually pricey (£8-£10) but well worth it for the difference it makes.

Agreed, cider tastes nicer :)

HOLA444

The explosion of gluten intolerance (I'm affected too, that why I researched this) in the last 10-15 years seems to have been caused by the fact that since the early 2000's farmers started spraying glyphosate (Round-up) on wheat fields a couple of days before harvest in order to maximise yield.

As it's being sprayed so close to harvest time it will still be present in the grain and end up in the flour. Glyphosate is very toxic to the good bacteria in the intestine that are essential for digestion therefore causing digestion issues.

For this reason probiotics can have a positive effect as raindog mentioned.

The following Monsanto guide seems to indicate that the pre-harvest spraying is being done on all sorts of other crops too, including oats, peas, lentils and beans:

http://roundup.ca/_uploads/documents/MON-Preharvest Staging Guide.pdf

HOLA445

We bought this recently:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00DTR95KM?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Delicious on salads with olive oil....or even on chips.

Basically, it also supposed to improve the insulin response by slowing down the absorption of sugars quickly from foods with a high glycaemic index like potatoes.

By improving your insulin response you may find mood improves as sugar rushes and crashes are avoided.

Ah, now you're getting into the sexy stuff! Totally agree with this - I have a good insulin response already only because I am limited to low glycemic foods. It really does improve mood and wellbeing, and as in one of my earlier posts, you avoid all the peaks and troughs that other people suffer.

It's also the key to fat loss IMO.

I am going to give the ACV a whirl as well. This stuff excites me.

HOLA446

The explosion of gluten intolerance (I'm affected too, that why I researched this) in the last 10-15 years seems to have been caused by the fact that since the early 2000's farmers started spraying glyphosate (Round-up) on wheat fields a couple of days before harvest in order to maximise yield.

As it's being sprayed so close to harvest time it will still be present in the grain and end up in the flour. Glyphosate is very toxic to the good bacteria in the intestine that are essential for digestion therefore causing digestion issues.

For this reason probiotics can have a positive effect as raindog mentioned.

The following Monsanto guide seems to indicate that the pre-harvest spraying is being done on all sorts of other crops too, including oats, peas, lentils and beans:

http://roundup.ca/_uploads/documents/MON-Preharvest Staging Guide.pdf

Have you ever seen the film Food Inc? It's a brilliant film, highly recommended. I'm fairly open as to the cause of the explosion of gluten intolerance, but the sheer amount of the bloody stuff that goes into our diets via foods in which you would never expect to find it is highlighted in the film.

I sometimes feel like throwing the beef burgers around in Tesco because there are days when I can't buy any that are free of not just wheat, but milk. Milk, ffs!

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Thanks - actually that is pat of the problem.

I am fortunate to have a small group of very good friends but most of them are couples. Something that I have twigged in recent years in not being in a couple is that you do not truly have access to the girlie network.

I will give you an example. I regularly get my female friends texting me or messaging me that the husband/partner of one of my other female friends has got a bad back... or a cold... or twisted their ankle... or something. Likewise, my other female friends do the same. Not having my own female partner means that I have no female to tell the other females if I am feeling down, unwell or was ambushed by a gang of al qaeda - do you understand what I mean?

A good example was several weeks back when I had to go and have some tests done. I didn't tell anyone because, well, I don't have anyone to tell. So I end up on a Saturday morning having a cuppa with friends in a cafe being told that such and such husband has the flu.... and

veryone was going on about how sorry they felt for him... and I was sat there thinking what I had gone through, that I had gone through it by myself and that I had not told anyone.

Yes, I probably should have told them... but you don't as a bloke do you. It is why I started this thread - I had that asthma / panic attack in Sainsbury yesterday... and not a single fecker stopped to ask if I was OK or help. I managed to get home and crashed out... and now have ended up eating wheat... I think I am trying to commit suicide via gluten :lol:

Women do have their uses - the girlie network is one of them.

Rant over.

I had another example of this yesterday and today.

A female friend asked me to go for Sunday lunch tomorrow with 3 couples all of whom are friends of mine - one couple I have only known about a year.

Anyhow, I was asked if I would go and I said that I did not feel up to it because I have had a cr*p week healthwise. To which my friend told me that she had been having a bad headache and feeling achey this week.

Instead of giving in to this I just emphasised that I had been really unwell and could not make the lunch. Cut to this morning and I bump into my friend in the park who again implored me to come to the lunch but I pointed out that I was unwell - no questioning was asked of why I was unwell.

So I get home and I get texts telling me that the lunch is for the birthday of one of the women and asking me again to come. At which point I feel like a guilty so and so... but how on earth was I expected to know about this birthday. So I texted back saying that I would come and actually said in the text that they needed to tell me these things because, quote, I was not part of the girlie network for information... and actually went on to say that each of the women are very vocal when their husbands have a heavy cold, a bad back or a strained ankle...

...but I bite my lip over saying how about some thought, empathy or consideration for me! They are actually very friends but I was so pissed off recently hearing about their husband's ruddy minor ailments when I was pretty under the weather.

I will say it out hear... as I have no where else to say it... but I feel like my issues currently are just to be ignored... I might say something that I regret tomorrow.

Edit:

Rasnt over: Off for some baked beans on toast and a pint of gower gold... and then to bed... I know how to party on Saturday night.

HOLA4412

Next time they text you about their hubbies ailments you want to conspiratorially question whether their husband isn't making it up just to get sympathy.

Cast doubts every time they mention health issues.

"These things can all just be in the mind you know" that kind of thing.

Then segue into your own health complaints and how these are genuine but sniff sniff no-one seems to care.

I reckon you'll get lots of hugs then. :-)

And keep off the wheat!!!

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

I was surprised to learn that one of the symptoms of Celiac is a foggy mind.

Took me years to actually find this out.

Maybe if I'd had a clear head I would have discovered this sooner.

Yep, it kind of invades the brain - I forget what the gluten strands are called but they get into all the organs and the brain is not immmune.

HOLA4415

Next time they text you about their hubbies ailments you want to conspiratorially question whether their husband isn't making it up just to get sympathy.

Cast doubts every time they mention health issues.

"These things can all just be in the mind you know" that kind of thing.

Then segue into your own health complaints and how these are genuine but sniff sniff no-one seems to care.

I reckon you'll get lots of hugs then. :-)

And keep off the wheat!!!

I don't think I will get sympathy. I think I need to hire a gf who will stand my ground.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

I had another example of this yesterday and today.

A female friend asked me to go for Sunday lunch tomorrow with 3 couples all of whom are friends of mine - one couple I have only known about a year.

Anyhow, I was asked if I would go and I said that I did not feel up to it because I have had a cr*p week healthwise. To which my friend told me that she had been having a bad headache and feeling achey this week.

Instead of giving in to this I just emphasised that I had been really unwell and could not make the lunch. Cut to this morning and I bump into my friend in the park who again implored me to come to the lunch but I pointed out that I was unwell - no questioning was asked of why I was unwell.

So I get home and I get texts telling me that the lunch is for the birthday of one of the women and asking me again to come. At which point I feel like a guilty so and so... but how on earth was I expected to know about this birthday. So I texted back saying that I would come and actually said in the text that they needed to tell me these things because, quote, I was not part of the girlie network for information... and actually went on to say that each of the women are very vocal when their husbands have a heavy cold, a bad back or a strained ankle...

...but I bite my lip over saying how about some thought, empathy or consideration for me! They are actually very friends but I was so pissed off recently hearing about their husband's ruddy minor ailments when I was pretty under the weather.

I will say it out hear... as I have no where else to say it... but I feel like my issues currently are just to be ignored... I might say something that I regret tomorrow.

Edit:

Rasnt over: Off for some baked beans on toast and a pint of gower gold... and then to bed... I know how to party on Saturday night.

Most friendships that I know between single male friends of mine and attached women are exactly like this. The single bloke ends up being a listening post for all their woes, interests, and gossip, but they aren't interested in giving a damn thing back.

Let's be honest, the majority of women are just plain bloody selfish.

HOLA4419

Most friendships that I know between single male friends of mine and attached women are exactly like this. The single bloke ends up being a listening post for all their woes, interests, and gossip, but they aren't interested in giving a damn thing back.

This.

It's a common misconception among blokes that if a woman willfully spends loads of time yak-ing with them (usually at them) that they are either attracted to them or that there's some special friendship there. Often, neither are true.

There are a lot of women out there who will talk to anyone that will listen. There are also plenty of women who love drama and whose lives are in perpetual crisis, and if you are their listening post then your job is to shut up, nod, and make the occasional sympathetic comment while this is going on. They don't want to hear about your life or your struggles, because that's not your job in this. You're the listening post. It's a one way thing.

I've been in this situation a few times with people (mostly women but one male friend) who just wanted me around so they could tell me about all their woes and drama, and didn't take or want and advice on how to make things better. I have learned with age to limit contact with such people; I had been spending too much time with them because I was lonely and took the attitude "well this is crap but at least I'm 'socializing'".

I'm also friends with a 50-something woman who whilst being generally a nice person, and having genuine struggles in life to overcome, just jumps from one absolute disaster to another, and all me and my other friend who know her get to do is provide emotional support for this weeks tragedy. There's only so much of this a person can take - it's emotionally draining.

Please be careful that you're not in this situation. I think some sites term these people Emotional Vampires but I'm sure you're up on all the terminology. Such 'friendships' generally aren't good for you.

On the flip side I've become good friends with a bloke in work, well balanced guy with a family and no hang ups. We're interested in the same stuff, we're planning a business together because we have similar professional interests - he's generally a positive guy and it's great hanging out with him. I know that if I surrounded myself with people like that in my life, my 'depression' would be gone.

HOLA4420

This.

It's a common misconception among blokes that if a woman willfully spends loads of time yak-ing with them (usually at them) that they are either attracted to them or that there's some special friendship there. Often, neither are true.

There are a lot of women out there who will talk to anyone that will listen. There are also plenty of women who love drama and whose lives are in perpetual crisis, and if you are their listening post then your job is to shut up, nod, and make the occasional sympathetic comment while this is going on. They don't want to hear about your life or your struggles, because that's not your job in this. You're the listening post. It's a one way thing.

I've been in this situation a few times with people (mostly women but one male friend) who just wanted me around so they could tell me about all their woes and drama, and didn't take or want and advice on how to make things better. I have learned with age to limit contact with such people; I had been spending too much time with them because I was lonely and took the attitude "well this is crap but at least I'm 'socializing'".

I'm also friends with a 50-something woman who whilst being generally a nice person, and having genuine struggles in life to overcome, just jumps from one absolute disaster to another, and all me and my other friend who know her get to do is provide emotional support for this weeks tragedy. There's only so much of this a person can take - it's emotionally draining.

Please be careful that you're not in this situation. I think some sites term these people Emotional Vampires but I'm sure you're up on all the terminology. Such 'friendships' generally aren't good for you.

On the flip side I've become good friends with a bloke in work, well balanced guy with a family and no hang ups. We're interested in the same stuff, we're planning a business together because we have similar professional interests - he's generally a positive guy and it's great hanging out with him. I know that if I surrounded myself with people like that in my life, my 'depression' would be gone.

+1000

I couldn't agree more. Everyone should ditch people like this, they aren't friends at all - rather parasites on your own energy. Life is way too short to spend as someone else's therapist.

HOLA4421
  • 7 months later...
HOLA4422

Saw a show this week on the BBC. Food detectives it was called.

They did a blind 'experiment' with two groups tracking the impact of eating gluten. One ate no gluten but added white powder to their food. The other did the same. One was gluten - the other was not.

Conclusion was that eating the gluten did not show any negative effects on the gluten group compared to the non gluten group. False positives and false negatives on both sides.

Sounds fairly interesting ? Well that's what I thought - until they said this trial had been for TWO WEEKS.

What a load of nonsense. Look at any article or blog re. cutting out gluten and its standard to expect at least 6 weeks for your body to show any improvements or differences.

They even had a bloke on the show who was diagnosed with celiac disease 25 years ago talking about what happened. He even stated his symptoms started to abate after 3-4 weeks. So why the ****** would they do this trial over only 2 weeks - unless they wanted it to fail.

I can't believe the 'experts' doing this trial for a TV show didn't know this ? Was there some 'nudging' and pressure from the wheat industry for this - and no doubt other things ? It is the world's #1 produce so the money and power behind it must be huge.

Imagine a similar test for someone who smoke or drank or ate loads of sugar for a couple of decades - can you imagine them doing a two week trial and then reaching a conclusion based on that ?!

Ridiculous. But most people will watch it and lap it up.

HOLA4423

Saw a show this week on the BBC. Food detectives it was called.

They did a blind 'experiment' with two groups tracking the impact of eating gluten. One ate no gluten but added white powder to their food. The other did the same. One was gluten - the other was not.

Conclusion was that eating the gluten did not show any negative effects on the gluten group compared to the non gluten group. False positives and false negatives on both sides.

Sounds fairly interesting ? Well that's what I thought - until they said this trial had been for TWO WEEKS.

What a load of nonsense. Look at any article or blog re. cutting out gluten and its standard to expect at least 6 weeks for your body to show any improvements or differences.

They even had a bloke on the show who was diagnosed with celiac disease 25 years ago talking about what happened. He even stated his symptoms started to abate after 3-4 weeks. So why the ****** would they do this trial over only 2 weeks - unless they wanted it to fail.

I can't believe the 'experts' doing this trial for a TV show didn't know this ? Was there some 'nudging' and pressure from the wheat industry for this - and no doubt other things ? It is the world's #1 produce so the money and power behind it must be huge.

Imagine a similar test for someone who smoke or drank or ate loads of sugar for a couple of decades - can you imagine them doing a two week trial and then reaching a conclusion based on that ?!

Ridiculous. But most people will watch it and lap it up.

Just bad experimental design. Their hypothesis is probably wrong as well. Also, I'd suggest that 10-20% of people have an 'intolerance' (just a guess, but somewhere to start) - therefore you'd expect only 2 or so individuals from the whole experiment (15 were on the gluten-free) to show some signs of improvement from the gluten free diet - so not a trial with a suitable number of participants.

• I'd start by suggesting a (blind balanced) trial with each person taking both the gluten and gluten-free diets (with half taking the gluten free first, etc) - that way you could directly identify those individuals who were actually benefiting from the gluten free diet and who were reacting badly to the gluten diet.
  • I'd also agree about the timing - it takes a while to see the benefit (about a month) but relapse is immediately identifiable - so I'd suggest a month gluten-free for everybody, then cohort A takes gluten for one day, cohort B takes the gluten-free placebo for that day. Then record reactions over the next 7 days. Then swap over (B takes the gluten) and repeat.

The other thing is, I don't think it is gluten that is causing the problem, but something else in wheat based products. This doesn't actually make any difference if you suffer from the problem, but you shouldn't run the experiment based on adding gluten isolate, but rather some kind of wheat vs non-wheat comparison.

HOLA4424

All I know is that if I eat more than 5-6 slices of bread a week, gluten free or otherwise, my digestion goes to hell in a handcart and I feel slow, bloated and not very with it. I'll leave other people to argue about the causes and what labels we give it - I'll stick with the simple approach that if it doesn't work for me, I don't do it.

HOLA4425

All I know is that if I eat more than 5-6 slices of bread a week, gluten free or otherwise, my digestion goes to hell in a handcart and I feel slow, bloated and not very with it. I'll leave other people to argue about the causes and what labels we give it - I'll stick with the simple approach that if it doesn't work for me, I don't do it.

The funny thing is, if you're gluten-free then you're a continuous blind experiment anyway. I went out for a meal with colleagues last weekend to a pub with no gluten-free options. I'm happy enough with the Russian roulette - just make a choice and hope for the best (clearly, avoiding obvious wheat). Anyway, didn't work out that time - screwed for the early part of the week. Recovery about Thursday.

Archived