HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

I like Asterix too. Reading it in French at age 9 helped my French no end!

Books that play with language are great for helping learn it. I guess the way they seem to attract some great translations capturing the spirit of wordplay helps.

One of the first books I read when I was learning Italian was Lo Hobbit. The translator - as with the English Asterix - had gone firmly for the spirit of all the plays on language, making a great read of the same book that first motivated junior-me to learn to read English.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

I read anything and everything that's good. Not fussed about the language but I loathe bad translation into English. I'm currently reading The Brethren by Robert Merle, in English. It's a rotten translation but I can't find the book in the original French.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Somebody recommended me the "Flashman" series. I haven't got round to reading them yet.

Mildly amusing: a side you probably haven't encountered before of our imperial era. Take-it-or-leave-it territory for me. Worth dipping a toe in to see how much he grips you.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Somebody recommended me the "Flashman" series. I haven't got round to reading them yet.

Probably me.

George MacDonald Fraser's stuff is very good. He did a trio of books based on his experiences in the army while waiting for de-mob after the war, I found them very funny. A kind of Scottish version of Jaroslav Hašek's "Good Soldier Svejk" (also worth a read).

Tom Sharpe as well, another author I've sadly missed.

HOLA4419

Probably me.

George MacDonald Fraser's stuff is very good. He did a trio of books based on his experiences in the army while waiting for de-mob after the war, I found them very funny. A kind of Scottish version of Jaroslav Hašek's "Good Soldier Svejk" (also worth a read).

Tom Sharpe as well, another author I've sadly missed.

No it wasn't you, but it was a Scottish bloke I was working with. We were stuck on a gas platform near Egypt for a few weeks. So books come in handy.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

We should have a book club - fiction and non-fiction sections - with recommendations for reading material. Eric Ambler's thrillers sound really interesting in this articlehttp://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-33972802 Off to see whether the city library has any copies. Otherwise it's the second hand bookshops / websites.

A Radio 4 programme on them certainly made them sound like they are worth a look.

Do often find with forgotten fims and literature etc. that, to an extent, they are forgotten for a reason.

HOLA4423

I read them in my teens. Funny.

I never got round to it, but I may do now. Apparently the history side of it, is educational, and fairly accurate. I imagined they would not be a hit with women. Seems to be a right blokey set of books.

HOLA4424

I never got round to it, but I may do now. Apparently the history side of it, is educational, and fairly accurate. I imagined they would not be a hit with women. Seems to be a right blokey set of books.

Blokey? 'Cos he shags his way around the empire? So does James Bond, and Flashman is by far the better-written and more entertaining of the two. I won't pretend to have a clue about the thought processes of the maddest humourless feminut, but for any normal person it's too preposterous to worry about.

HOLA4425

A Radio 4 programme on them certainly made them sound like they are worth a look.

Do often find with forgotten fims and literature etc. that, to an extent, they are forgotten for a reason.

I read an Eric Ambler book years ago, I've forgotten the name but it was about some people trapped in a lonely farmhouse in winter while a gang of criminals held the place to siege. It was very gripping. He also wrote the screenplay for 'The October Man' which is a great film.

Archived