House Price Crash Forum
Eddie_George

Mp (And Ex-Mp) Btl Hall Of Shame

One third of all MPs have BTL properties. Let's crowd-source and find out what they have. If we can find the actual properties they own, we can see if/when they sell. If the data becomes really juicy, I'll create a spreadsheet for easier searching.

Here are a few for starters:

Ex-MP criminal Chris Huhne (Lib-Dem): "...owns seven houses, five purchased as investment rental properties and two in which he lives." (May be less now after conviction and divorce). Holding company could be this one.

Emily Thornberry (Lab): At least one

James Clappison (Con): 26 properties

Bob Blackman (Con): 6 properties

Caroline Spelman (Con): At least 4

Mike Freer (Con): "...renting out two properties to them (on top of his other properties in south-west France and Dumfriesshire.."

Jake Berry (Con): "..commercial property and a flat in Liverpool, and two houses in North Wales."

Robert Goodwill (Con): "...a farm, three industrial units, four rented houses in Teesside, a development property in Yorkshire "which is under renovation with a view to letting", and of course a flat in London."

David Tredinnick (Con): Director of Malden Mitcham Properties (family property and investment company). Address: 6th floor, 25 Farringdon St, London EC4A 4AB.

Nadhim Zahawi (Con): "...residential property and 31 acres of land in Warwickshire with stables run as a livery yard", as well as the obligatory "residential buy-to-let property in London, divided into three flats"

David Lammy (Lab): A rental income of over £10,000 a year from residential property in Tottenham

I will flesh out this (London-centric) list, from here in due course. Help much appreciated.

The full list of London MPs who are residential landlords is:

• Rushanara Ali (Labour, Bethnal Green and Bow)
  • James Berry (Conservative, Kingston and Surbiton)
  • Ruth Cadbury (Labour, Brentford and Isleworth)
  • Jane Ellison (Conservative, Battersea)
  • Mike Freer (Conservative, Finchley and Golders Green)
  • Meg Hillier (Labour, Hackney South and Shoreditch)
  • Nick Hurd (Conservative, Ruislip-Northwood and Pinner)
  • Jo Johnson (Conservative, Orpington)
  • Seema Malhotra (Labour, Feltham and Heston)
  • Tania Mathias (Conservative, Twickenham)
  • Bob Neill (Conservative, Bromley and Chislehurst)
  • Joan Ryan (Labour, Enfield North)
  • Gareth Thomas (Labour, Harrow West)
  • Emily Thornberry (Labour, Islington South and Finsbury)
  • Theresa Villiers (Conservative, Chipping Barnet)

Other MPs who let residential property in London are:

• John Baron (Conservative, Basildon and Billericay)
  • Richard Benyon (Conservative, Newbury)
  • John Bercow (Conservative, Buckingham)
  • Clive Betts (Labour, Sheffield South East)
  • Andy Burnham (Labour, Leigh)
  • David Cameron (Conservative, Witney)
  • Douglas Carswell (UKIP, Clacton)
  • Alex Chalk (Conservative, Cheltenham)
  • James Cleverly (Conservative, Braintree)
  • Geoffrey Clifton-Brown (Conservative, The Cotswolds)
  • Damian Collins (Conservative, Folkstone and Hythe)
  • David Crausby (Labour, Bolton North)
  • Geraint Davies (Labour, Swansea West)
  • Philip Davies (Conservative, Shipley)
  • Richard Drax (Conservative, South Dorset)
  • James Duddridge (Conservative, Rochford and Southend East)
  • Alan Duncan (Conservative, Rutland and Melton)
  • Philip Dunne (Conservative, Ludlow)
  • George Eustice (Conservative, Camborne and Redruth)
  • Liam Fox (Conservative, North Somerset)
  • John Glen (Conservative, Salisbury)
  • James Gray (Conservative, North Wiltshire)
  • Chris Grayling (Conservative, Epsom and Ewell)
  • Dominic Grieve (Conservative, Beaconsfield)
  • John Hayes (Conservative, South Holland and The Deepings)
  • James Heappey (Conservative, Wells)
  • Philip Hollobone (Conservative, Kettering)
  • Jeremy Hunt (Conservative, South West Surrey)
  • Stewart Jackson (Conservative, Peterborough)
  • Sajid Javid (Conservative, Bromsgrove)
  • Bernard Jenkin (Conservative, Harwich and North Essex)
  • Greg Knight (Conservative, East Yorkshire)
  • Norman Lamb (Liberal Democrat, North Norfolk)
  • Chris Leslie (Labour, Nottingham East)
  • Oliver Letwin (Conservative, West Dorset)
  • Julian Lewis (Conservative, New Forest East)
  • Angus MacNeil (Scottish National Party, Na h-Eileanan an Iar)
  • Alasdair McDonnell (SDLP, Belfast South)
  • Michael Meacher (Labour, Oldham West)
  • Madeleine Moon (Labour, Bridgend)
  • Anne-Marie Morris (Conservative, Newton Abbot)
  • John Nicolson (Scottish National Party, East Dumbartonshire)
  • George Osborne (Conservative, Tatton)
  • Owen Paterson (Conservative, North Shropshire)
  • Jeremy Quinn (Conservative, Horsham)
  • Jacob Rees-Mogg (Conservative, North East Somerset)
  • Laurence Robertson (Conservative, Tewkesbury)
  • Antoinette Sandbach (Conservative, Eddisbury)
  • Andrew Smith (Labour, Oxford East)
  • Julian Smith (Conservative, Skipton and Ripon)
  • Desmond Swayne (Conservative, New Forest West)
  • Anne-Marie Trevelyan (Conservative, Berwick upon Tweed)
  • Andrew Turner (Conservative, Isle of Wight)
  • Shailesh Vara (Conservative, North West Cambridgeshire)
  • Keith Vaz (Labour, Leicester East)
  • Ben Wallace (Conservative, Wyre and Preston North)
  • John Whittingdale (Conservative, Maldon)
Edited by Eddie_George

Maybe you could include some notable former MPs such as teflon Tony as he accrued a lot of property whilst in office I seem to recall.

A very good idea and sorry I can't be of more help.

How many MPs rent off other MPs?

Since the expenses scandal tried to stop MPs getting a house bought by taxpayers, I am sure some just rented their London places to each other, claiming the rent on expenses of course!

So we are still buying the house, but they are living in a different one - that we are also probably buying as well

Hang on any media piece that doesn't demonise C**bin (who looks like an "alcoholic geography" teacher) isn't right. Look I caught him emptying the last remnants of a packet of crisps into his mouth:

Reconstruction

56965345-boy-emptying-crisp-packet-into-

Edited by 200p

How many MPs rent off other MPs?

Since the expenses scandal tried to stop MPs getting a house bought by taxpayers, I am sure some just rented their London places to each other, claiming the rent on expenses of course!

So we are still buying the house, but they are living in a different one - that we are also probably buying as well

In which case they're not really BTLers in a broader sense, if it's just a way of gaming the expenses rules then they won't necessarily have aligned interests with BTLers in general, unless they understand the relationship between BTL and the housing market as a whole.

The Rt Hon John Whittingdale has:Land and property: (i) value over £100,000 (ii) rental income of over £10,000 a year
"John Whittingdale, chairman of the House of Commons Culture, Media and Sport select committee has moved out of a second home which the taxpayer helped fund and is renting it out for £400 a week. He is now claiming expenses for renting out a property nearby."

LINK

and, as JPJPJP alluded to above, if that £400 a week rent is being paid to him by another MP and, therefore, claimed on expenses and the property he is renting nearby belongs to another MP, we are still buying houses for MPs

that is a scandal worthy of a telegraph article on its own imo

Somebody do something! We need to change the law. Oh hang on!

Name and shame, hopefully it will reach the press. The expenses scandal never went away, just moved to a darker corner of the room.

...if they are mortgage free they are safe ...if not they need to understand an Interest only loan for BTL is under attack by the Chancellor to avoid a bubble which is a risk with any fall in property prices, any IR rises and the plan to stamp out any international money laundering funding the current London property market....but MPs are aware of all these risks ...surely.... :rolleyes:

who cares - they are human beings who have the right to own property. I would object if they all owned 100 properties and ran property management companies. Our system of government will always be flawed by human intentions and greed unless you want to be ruled by computers.

There's nothing stopping people earning some money and buying and managing some property if they want to. Do you want MPs to live like hermits owning nothing for their family? Or through trusts like the Goldsmiths?

In the US the senators are legally allowed to trade on the stock market with information they glean in parliament i.e interest rate rises, sanctions against companies, impending war. I assume British MPs can do the same.

They will always make rules that protect the ruling class and the elite - after all that's who they work for. You don't think people pay £10,000 for just lunch do you?

What do you expect newspapers to do about it, their owners ARE the people buying power and influence and printing distractions for the rest of the population (e.g I spent 15 mins listening to news of One Direction's breakup on radio 4 this morning...this with several wars raging and an economic crisis we haven't recovered from)

who cares - they are human beings who have the right to own property. I would object if they all owned 100 properties and ran property management companies. Our system of government will always be flawed by human intentions and greed unless you want to be ruled by computers.

There's nothing stopping people earning some money and buying and managing some property if they want to. Do you want MPs to live like hermits owning nothing for their family? Or through trusts like the Goldsmiths?

In the US the senators are legally allowed to trade on the stock market with information they glean in parliament i.e interest rate rises, sanctions against companies, impending war. I assume British MPs can do the same.

They will always make rules that protect the ruling class and the elite - after all that's who they work for. You don't think people pay £10,000 for just lunch do you?

What do you expect newspapers to do about it, their owners ARE the people buying power and influence and printing distractions for the rest of the population (e.g I spent 15 mins listening to news of One Direction's breakup on radio 4 this morning...this with several wars raging and an economic crisis we haven't recovered from)

Looks like this thread has hit a nerve. How many pwoperdees do you own?

They most certainly cannot.

I suggest you read up on the STOCK Act.

They most certainly cannot.

I suggest you read up on the STOCK Act.

Apologies - they could do it for the 200 or so years previously..how long has it been illegal for joe public?...and FYI I'm sure this law won't stop them...

1. The Stop Trading on Congressional Knowledge Act ("STOCK" Act, Pub.L. 112–105, S. 2038, 126 Stat. 291, enacted April 4, 2012), is anAct of Congress designed to combat insider trading. It was signed into law by President Barack Obama on April 4, 2012.

Looks like this thread has hit a nerve. How many pwoperdees do you own?

None - its just pointless whittling on about MPs who have some bias - they're human beings - newflash - they all have bias!

None - its just pointless whittling on about MPs who have some bias - they're human beings - newflash - they all have bias!

It used to be that the headmaster's son got a tougher time in school than other pupils, lest there be any accusation of favouritism.

The list does show us one unusual thing at least.

Corbyn and those MP's who are directly supporting his campaign true lefty's as they are do not own second+ properties or seek to enrich themselves from it.

At lest he is true to his ideals..

Looks like FreeTrader has saved us a lot of effort! I missed this post.

Monday, 10 August 2015

UK Parliament: Members of Parliament - Registered Property Interests July 2015

Not a statistical release, but I thought this may be of interest. The table below lists declarations in the latest Register of Members' Financial Interests under Category 6, 'Land and property'.

In this category MPs must register any land or property in the UK and elsewhere which:

1) has a value of more than £100,000; or forms part of a total property portfolio whose value exceeds £100,000; and/or

2) alone or together with other properties owned by the Member, provides rental income of more than £10,000 in a calendar year.

Members should not register any land or property which is used wholly for their own personal residential purposes, or those of their spouse, partner or dependent children.

The category field in the table denotes the interest declared:
0 = classification omitted
1 = property value over £100,000
2 = rental income over £10,000 p.a.
3 = property value over £100,000 AND rental income over £10,000 p.a.

MP_registered_interests_July2015.gif

beg pardon, but they can't.

it represents serious conflict of interest(basically insider dealing).

if the letter of the law be observed, they are committing a felony punishable by a spell in the clink.