House Price Crash Forum
Byron

Searching For Evidence

Going from a rumour I overheard, does anyone, (particularly in IT) know if HMRC have been increasing their processing powers in the past 5 years. (Both electronic and staff numbers)

I am looking for any evidence to suggest that little tweaks like the change in tax relief on interest payments would have been beyond their ability to police in previous years.

For instance, I am a pensioner on works pension and OAP. I have not filled in a self assessment form in the 21st Century.

Only know bits I've read on HPC, such as posts below... and other posts implying HMRC has better access to record systems, such as Land Registry, where previously department rivalries prevented coordinated sharing.

Personally I think with big data the headline is for the masses, this is already happening. they will start to close down BTL untaxed earnings as said on here before too easy a target. Immovable, illiquid easily identifiable asset owned by the middle class - easy meat.

As posted they are. The HMRC big data project is widely recognised as one of the most successful large scale IT projects of the last 20 years. They have enough laws now they have the data.

and ebay data too.

I think people will go back to the old days of cash in hand, market stalls etc. Apple Pay ? Not accepted here mate - but I don't carry cash anymore!

Edited by 200p

Going from a rumour I overheard, does anyone, (particularly in IT) know if HMRC have been increasing their processing powers in the past 5 years. (Both electronic and staff numbers)

I am looking for any evidence to suggest that little tweaks like the change in tax relief on interest payments would have been beyond their ability to police in previous years.

For instance, I am a pensioner on works pension and OAP. I have not filled in a self assessment form in the 21st Century.

They brought in a huge new database about 6 years ago that was supposed to manage and adjust personal tax codes automatically This created millions of demands/refunds. A lot of them due to situations such as yours where people had been receiving tax allowance on both sources of income. Many arguments ensued about who was liable (individual/pension scheme employer/HMRC).

Company wise, all firms now need to submit PAYE information in real time to HMRC so they know how much you (company) owe, rather than a firm going bump after 1/2 years and owing fortunes to HMRC. They actually have people turning up on your doorstep for a grand or two that is overdue.

i also recall some new legislation where they if they suspect you aren't being fully truthful with them, they can just look at your bank account and dip in and take what they think is theirs.

If the above is so, it explains why George Osborne did not introduce anti BTL measures sooner.

It also suggests that 118 have peen p.iss.ing in the wind from day one.

They brought in a huge new database about 6 years ago that was supposed to manage and adjust personal tax codes automatically This created millions of demands/refunds. A lot of them due to situations such as yours where people had been receiving tax allowance on both sources of income. Many arguments ensued about who was liable (individual/pension scheme employer/HMRC).

Company wise, all firms now need to submit PAYE information in real time to HMRC so they know how much you (company) owe, rather than a firm going bump after 1/2 years and owing fortunes to HMRC. They actually have people turning up on your doorstep for a grand or two that is overdue.

i also recall some new legislation where they if they suspect you aren't being fully truthful with them, they can just look at your bank account and dip in and take what they think is theirs.

RAT`s rapid access terminals not just HMRC but local councils /CMEA / DWP have this ability ,I was lead to believe one had to have voluntarily passed on your bank details in the first place (standing order/direct debit ) i believe its works like a third party debt order but on steroids ,whether this is right or still the case i`m not sure and never was sure

But what i do know from first hand experience is the government can relieve you of the contents of your bank account with out your permission

Edited by long time lurking

HMRC have been increasing their processing powers in the past 5 years. (Both electronic and staff numbers)

I wrote to HMRC on the 3rd August requesting a PAYE code change. According to the HMRC tool 'Where's My Reply' with this date, I should expect a reply by 19th October 2015. They seem swamped after searching on lots of forums.

I wrote to HMRC on the 3rd August requesting a PAYE code change. According to the HMRC tool 'Where's My Reply' with this date, I should expect a reply by 19th October 2015. They seem swamped after searching on lots of forums.

IMO this is part of the plan concerning tax codes any one for record tax receipts in june /july .....OT/DO tax codes plays a part in those stats ,it`s happening on biblical proportions with contractors working PAYE

If it`s not a plan and they cant cope with real time information they need to sort the problem quickly,if they dont they are going to see more going down the LTD.co route

Edited by long time lurking

Oh, and this just in....

‘Tsunami’ of new HMRC powers to tackle tax evasion

http://www.mortgagestrategy.co.uk/2023306.article?cmpid=msbreak_1494402