House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheBlueCat

Where Have All The Political Scandals Gone?

It suddenly occurred to me that we've had hardly any over the last few years. Back in the John Major and then the New Labour era they were a regular thing with ministers being sacked left right and centre (it happened to some of them two or three times in fact) but, since 2010 there have only been a couple I can recall (Plebgate and whatever it was David Laws had to resign over).

What happened?

It suddenly occurred to me that we've had hardly any over the last few years. Back in the John Major and then the New Labour era they were a regular thing with ministers being sacked left right and centre (it happened to some of them two or three times in fact) but, since 2010 there have only been a couple I can recall (Plebgate and whatever it was David Laws had to resign over).

What happened?

May I be the first to refer you to the mass establishment child abuse thread.

May I be the first to refer you to the mass establishment child abuse thread.

Sure, but that relates to things that happened a long time back by people who are long gone from politics or weren't politicians at all. I'm talking about stuff happening in the here and now and being found out.

They're off on holiday. Leaving us with the rather more entertaining Corbyn Show.

You've missed many of the real recent ones. Chris Huhne and the speeding points, for instance.

BTW, you mention David Laws. He actually got done for saving the taxpayer money, when the rules didn't quite allow it. Seemed a real shame: he had looked like one of the best ministers at the beginning of the coalition government.

There'll be loads of them but they only make it to the news if the politician involved isn't toeing the line on something.

There'll be loads of them but they only make it to the news if the politician involved isn't toeing the line on something.

You cynic!

I remember the late Major years. There was somebody found with something inappropriate inserted, every fortnight. :wacko:

The snp woman? It's all internet these days

To be serious my mum said that it was always the torys with women and the labour with money trying to get the women,

Ok sexist in the extreme (it was my

Mum)

I think folk don't care any more...

Slightly off topic, but if you look at the regional news on the bbc ceefax /red button, there are always loads of crimes going on, that are just as trivial/juicy as other crimes that make it onto the main news (and sometimes become massive) and I can never work out the criteria why the decide some are worthy of bigging up and some aren't.

What happened?

The usual, it's been buried - too politically explosive to see the light of day :ph34r:

Slightly off topic, but if you look at the regional news on the bbc ceefax /red button, there are always loads of crimes going on, that are just as trivial/juicy as other crimes that make it onto the main news (and sometimes become massive) and I can never work out the criteria why the decide some are worthy of bigging up and some aren't.

There was a shotgun hold up in burger king in Plymouth once, I know because I couldn't get to my car for 8 hours. Not a word.... nothing... ever... like it didn't even happen....

Yet a kitten gets stuck up a tree....

If you're not familiar with the Guido Fawkes website,there's lots of scandals there. The BBC won't report them unless there's a Tory involved.

You mean I'm not reading Ceefax now?

I thought it seemed much ruder than I remembered.

If you're not familiar with the Guido Fawkes website,there's lots of scandals there. The BBC won't report them unless there's a Tory involved.

Could try reading private eye, have to buy it physically as they don't have an online edition.

With you wrt labour bias, most recent edition of the eye took Jeremy corbyns economic policies apart. First time I've seen anyone report factually on it.

Cynic alert:

There isn't an imminent General Election.

Given the political landscape, I don't think that the newspapers know who best to p*** off.

So the coke-snorting bra-wearing peer thing didn't just happen then? Shame, as I thought that was good fun.

So the coke-snorting bra-wearing peer thing didn't just happen then? Shame, as I thought that was good fun.

I think that's the point, it's not big news these days. We have so much other stuff going on that it lasts for a few days. Part of the reason I suspect is social media and the fact people carry a phone in their pocket, it means smaller news event are now much easier to report on, in the past it needed a fully paid reporter to get over there and get all the facts, now it's just talk to some random block on the street who happened to be passing by and make a comment on twitter.