House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

winkie

Dismaland

I sew Weston Super Mud hasn't changed in the 16 years since I had an office there.

Do not mock it's timeless beauty. :unsure: It has the same problem as the IOW. It hasn't changed much since 1947.

I saw Krishnan Guru-Murthy's quite detailed piece on Channel 4 News.

The sorts of people with whom the exhibition is likely to strike a chord probably hold certain views anyway.

I don't think the exhibition is likely to change anyone's views.

Much of what I saw was absolute trash.

I'm failing to see the point of it. I'm not sure whether that's his "fault", or mine.

Do not mock it's timeless beauty. :unsure: It has the same problem as the IOW. It hasn't changed much since 1947.

There's beauty there for some, in a brutalist sort of way - but it doesn't do it for me.

And sadly, the Isle of Wight has changed in many ways since my first visit as a pre-teen. However there are small ghettos that remain unchanged - the tourists go there but I don't.

I saw Krishnan Guru-Murthy's quite detailed piece on Channel 4 News.

The sorts of people with whom the exhibition is likely to strike a chord probably hold certain views anyway.

I don't think the exhibition is likely to change anyone's views.

Much of what I saw was absolute trash.

I'm failing to see the point of it. I'm not sure whether that's his "fault", or mine.

I understood from the piece that the trash was the point. I don't get it, nor would I visit. However, time will tell.

Saw the one he did in Bristol.. just walked past with 15 minutes to spare and had a quick wander through. I was really blown away with it.

I didn't really agree with all of the political messages, but a lot of the exhibits were incredibly well done. I really enjoyed it.

Recommended it to a friend who was visiting there a month later and he ended up queueing for 3 hours to get in. Nothing's THAT good!

I'd go to this one if it wasn't 4 hours away plus probably queueing around the block as well (given the publicity it's got compared to the last one).

I'd go to this one if it wasn't 4 hours away plus probably queueing around the block as well (given the publicity it's got compared to the last one).

Ugh. I fear that might be sadly prescient. It sounds great, but not if it involves doing battle with megacrowds.

Pretentious so called counter culture Trotskyite claptrap.

Well, that's it sorted then. :blink: I actually think it's quite clever, but I'll not be queueing up to see it even if it is local to me.

I really want to go, but my wife and kids would definitely hate it. I hope it runs for longer than the scheduled 5 weeks.

If it was local to me, I'd certainly be considering going. As for Disneyland, Alton Towers or anything like that, might worst nightmare.

Sounds good to me, not a lot has changed since 1947 that I wouldn't love to see the back of.

The thing I most love about British seaside resorts is the ageing antiquity, it's real, it's got soul. My worst nightmare is the plastic illusion of the US or Disneyland. Uk resorts are a scaled up version of dismaland and it's free. Blackpool was great until they modernised the trams. Nothing quite like a town stuck in the 1940s.

Pretentious so called counter culture Trotskyite claptrap.

Might be - don't know. I would agree that a large % of the people going to see the exhibit will be pretentious so called counter-culture so called Trotskyites. Who will then go back to their friends saying how marvellous it was while not really understanding what it was they saw (or even if there was actually anything to understand).

I don't understand it, and won't be going, but I do understand that I don't know whether my lack of understanding is because it is crap, or because I'm crap. But I've got better things to do than worry about it.

[of course, the above suggests that it is me who is the pretentious so-called counter-culture Trotskyite. As does this bit. Possibly, but I'll just worry about the things I need to worry about for now]

Having thought about it, I think I can articulate what it is that affronts me about it.

It is not nuanced to any degree. Nothing is ambiguous. It all seems to come from a single standpoint.

It gives you your opinion.

It is not "clever".

I like clever art, and this exhibition is not that.

Having thought about it, I think I can articulate what it is that affronts me about it.

It is not nuanced to any degree. Nothing is ambiguous. It all seems to come from a single standpoint.

It is not "clever".

Perhaps the clever bit is that it isn't clever. The challenging bit is that it hands you your own opinion. :P

The sad bit is that all of that is irrelevant. People will go because it is 'famous', and they can then say they saw a 'famous thing'.

The sad bit is that all of that is irrelevant. People will go because it is 'famous', and they can then say they saw a 'famous thing'.

Yes, a victim of its own success.

Which is a shame, because unlike all other modern art I've seen it's actually really good.

Well, now we have it! It's either great, or cr@p, according to the great OT massive. :blink:

I guess that's what art does. Makes you think.

Fantasy land is all only a fantasy, makes people think their own lives are inadequate and dull...reality land tells the truth and makes you feel happy and grateful for what you have and what you have been given......therefore truth beats fiction any day.

It is not "clever".

I can only judge from the TV, not in person but the issue seems to be it is being sarcastic rather than ironic.

Next time, Banksy needs Chris Morris as an artistic director.

Know a few Banksy fans who are raving about this via Facebook.

In my opinion most Banksy fans aren't as clever as they think they are. They seem to be interested in any old cr@p that makes them look "different". (It has to be a bit famous though, as if it was genuinely obscure they wouldn't be able to talk b0llocks about it for hours on end)

Know a few Banksy fans who are raving about this via Facebook.

In my opinion most Banksy fans aren't as clever as they think they are. They seem to be interested in any old cr@p that makes them look "different". (It has to be a bit famous though, as if it was genuinely obscure they wouldn't be able to talk b0llocks about it for hours on end)

Dear Reddog,

Most people know the difference between fantasy and reality.....up to you which world you wish to align yourself with....