House Price Crash Forum
longtomsilver

Landlord Fees. New One On Me.

Mods please feel free to move over to 'All about renting' when this has had some exposure.

No good at pasting links from this phone. On rightmove if you do a rental search in Lichfield, Staffordshire for between 1000-1100 it brings up the property in question.

I have rented in the past and am used to paying a returnable deposit, that's reasonable. Last time we paid ~£150 for referencing/credit checks.

It seems Landlords want a slice of the action too.

In the blurb...

tenant fees

The landlord will charge a maximum of £400 in fees for this property, to cover the following

Inventory Checks

Referencing

AST

Deposit Registration

Tenancy Set-Up

That sounds an awful lot of money for what must amount to a mornings work (including inventory check).

If it wasn't for that fee (not deposit) we would have considered offering £950 a month which we won't do now. Total put off as I can see a greasy landlord behind this property rubbing his hands and being a general ar*se.

Edited by longtomsilver

Mods please feel free to move over to 'All about renting' when this has had some exposure.

No good at pasting links from this phone. On rightmove if you do a rental search in Lichfield, Staffordshire for between 1000-1100 it brings up the property in question.

I have rented in the past and am used to paying a returnable deposit, that's reasonable. Last time we paid ~£150 for referencing/credit checks.

It seems Landlords want a slice of the action too.

In the blurb...

tenant fees

The landlord will charge a maximum of £400 in fees for this property, to cover the following

Inventory Checks

Referencing

AST

Deposit Registration

Tenancy Set-Up

That sounds an awful lot of money for what must amount to a mornings work (including inventory check).

If it wasn't for that fee (not deposit) we would have considered offering £950 a month which we won't do now. Total put off as I can see a greasy landlord behind this property rubbing his hands and being a general ar*se.

JUST SAY NO

I thought it was now illegal in England as already in Scotland ?

I thought it was now illegal in England as already in Scotland ?

Private Members Bill banning LA fees to tenants failed last year (got talked out by some landlords' MP chum). Labour probably would have reintroduced it but unfortunately we've got five years of the Landlords Party instead.

Back to the OP - I've just had to pay £250 LA fee, which seemed average for the area I'm moving to. Apparently it's a hell of a lot more in London.

I'm pretty sure we paid more than £400 for our last place in London - the agents website says that fees are currently £210 admin fee, £45 for each tenant or guarantour and £85-£150 for check-in inventory depending on the property. Having to pay for the inventory really grates since it's entirely for the landlord's benefit.

I paid about £600 in fees to move into my place (1 bed studio flat), I was desperate due to time running out and needing a place for a new job and didn't have anything else lined up. Killed me to do it. Just got an email about my agency opening a new office in Winchester with a load of crap about the "service" they offer and expansion helping to maintain it..blah...blah. Absolute parasites.

In February I paid £180 inc. VAT to the letting agent for my digs. They have since ceased trading. I feel rather cheated. :(

I now have another fight on my hand regarding the cessation of protection of the damage deposit but that's on another thread in the renting subforum.

what, random fees?

See above ^.

These charges are criminal. £150 for inventory ? What the actual ******. 1.5 Hours work maximum.

It became a legal requirement recently that costs be made clear at the LA and on their website.

Don't want to remember but about 650... for a large 4 bed though. Of those, about 250 was for the clerk to go through inventory, an unfurnished place. LL's wish, the cost split apart - one leg on him.

Well, you've dodged a bullet there anyway. Parking's toss. I know a few people on that estate and they seem to always be embroiled in some sort of turf war.

To all those that have contributed, I didn't realise how widespread this practice actually is. Did these fees come about with the introduction of the Deposit Protection Scheme? I recall my time renting in London and it was hit and miss whether or not the agencies returned them using spurious reasons.

Thanks thombleach; outwardly looks like a great place to live. In my opinion how all new build estates should be developed.

To all those that have contributed, I didn't realise how widespread this practice actually is. Did these fees come about with the introduction of the Deposit Protection Scheme? I recall my time renting in London and it was hit and miss whether or not the agencies returned them using spurious reasons.

Thanks thombleach; outwardly looks like a great place to live. In my opinion how all new build estates should be developed.

For that sort of money, you'd get alot more (front drive/big garden) if you leave Lichfield. Alrewas, Kings bromley, Shenstone, Fradley village).

If you can cope with an extra 5-7 miles out, then the villages around Burton offer much better bang for buck (and catchment for Jon taylor):

Rosliston, Walton on trent, Barton under needwood.

If you have to stay in Lichfield, Boley park's really good for bigger houses but I haven't seen a rental come up in a while.

These charges are criminal. £150 for inventory ? What the actual ******. 1.5 Hours work maximum.

Our last place we had to sort out the inventory ourselves. The inventory lady did a good job and charged us 45 quid. She said in London it is about 150 quid, as they can get away with it there. Here she has to be "competitive". Very happy with the set up as she listed all the scuffs as "fair wear and tear"..

Amazing!

We live in a country governed by economics and people are whining about having to pay for services. If you rent (as I do, btw) then you have to factor in that everything will eventually be lumped on you one way or another. If you can't negotiate - perhaps there is a queue of rich people standing behind you waving £50 bills around - then you walk away ... or you pay. Either way, it's economics and you have to live with it.

Amazing!

We live in a country governed by economics and people are whining about having to pay for services. If you rent (as I do, btw) then you have to factor in that everything will eventually be lumped on you one way or another. If you can't negotiate - perhaps there is a queue of rich people standing behind you waving £50 bills around - then you walk away ... or you pay. Either way, it's economics and you have to live with it.

This is housing - not buying a cocktail at a bar.