Ftse Watch

TheCountOfNowhere

HOLA441
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

I buy peugeot diesels with 80-90k on the clock for 2-3k then run them for 70k ish miles before scrapping or trading in (if I find a trader gullible enough), never service them so it works out very cheap per mile.

Sounds like a false economy imo, do a basic service yourself to save ££, changing the oil. air / fuel filter is usually quite easy, is it not ? If you don't change oil, you do less mpg, due to increased friction.

Edit: sorry, just realised I am taking this thread further off topic.

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

HOLA443

The thing I find strange is everybody I talk to say they are really busy work coming out of there ears.

Can anybody here say if they are finding the same or the opposite?

That's the way I see Uk plc at the moment, even the housing market has gone into overdrive at a time when it ususally goes into a summer slumber.

Can't last if we get deflation. So much rests on stock market growth and inflation...the triple lock pension promises to boomers, the living wage promises that industry will have to somehow meet when it is in meltdown, public sector final salary schemes further into bankruptcy.

Only one result, government will have to cut back, jobs will start to go in the private sector, total economic implosion.

Initially deflation will be met like a small animal meets killer ants, a free lunch, indeed UK consumers will think they are in clover with cheap petrol and food until they lose their jobs. The free lunch (the killer ants) will overwhelm them eventually, especially the indebted.

Edited by crashmonitor

HOLA444

Sounds like a false economy imo, do a basic service yourself to save ££, changing the oil. air / fuel filter is usually quite easy, is it not ? If you don't change oil, you do less mpg, due to increased friction.

I get an oil change done if goes in for something else e.g. brakes or tyres, So far my experience of running three cars for 70+K no servicing other than the odd oil change with no obvious adverse effects suggests that scheduled servicing is a complete con.

HOLA445

Back on topic I just got an email from the comedians at market oracle telling how wonderful elliot wave theory is - oh really ? so why didnt I get the email before it all kicked off then ?, it wouldnt be anything to do with it being being complete b*ll*ks thats never predicted anything with a greater than random guess accuracy would it - no that cant be it.

Edited by goldbug9999

HOLA446
HOLA447

I get an oil change done if goes in for something else e.g. brakes or tyres, So far my experience of running three cars for 70+K no servicing other than the odd oil change with no obvious adverse effects suggests that scheduled servicing is a complete con.

Internet legend has it that very high mileage cars (reliable at 200k miles plus) achieved that by being of a manufacturer that really make stuff to last (Honda, Mercedes etc) and also followed the full service requirements. A knackered gearbox will write off a car at 100000+ miles just based on the value of replacing the gearbox. Full service schedule prevents this. Or so I am led to believe.

HOLA448

Edit: sorry, just realised I am taking this thread further off topic.

What would you call essential intermediate annual servicing jobs?

HOLA449

What would you call essential intermediate annual servicing jobs?

with the almera it has timing chain and these strech if the oil is not chance once year type of thing so this is very much good thing to do . Oil cost less than £20 for 5 litres currently. the car takes around 4l. Very easy to do. Take car for 10minute drive to get oil warm. open oil car. go under car and undo bolt. let oil drain out. refil. Other cars have timing belts which after be changed after so many miles, if you dont change them and the break a low value car will be scraped cause it will wreak the engine. not the sort of think you can change at home unless you know what you doing.

Every other year i change the oil filter. This is pain to do on the almera as it is place where its difficult to get enough twist on it. There are tools that help with this. cost £5

changing the air filter is dead easy on most cars. cost around £5. just a few clips on air box. If it has not been changed for a few years you really do notice the difference in the engine

the almera as pollen filter. Also eash to change, located behind the glove box. If you car as air con they tend to go a bit black after a year. so make you feel good after you changed it.

Changing the spark plugs is another easy job. I recently change mine after around 50k miles. they located under igniton coils which you can take out with philips screw driver and clip and just in screw the spark plug. you need feeler gauge to set top of spark plug. If these have not been change for while you will notice the car pulls a lot better at low revs and does couple more mpg. cost £15 for 4plugs.

I have also changed the brake pads in past. relative easy job to do. Top tip when you take the wheel of put the wheel under car just in case.

topping air con is really easy to.

I have in past changed exahust pipes but now it just cheaper and less hastle to do that in garage. My old c reg micra it took me longer to get the tools out than change exahust pipe.

not all cars are easy to work on. my mums pug 106 was evil. changing oil was always diffucit as it was so low to ground you could not get under to undo the sump plug which had habbit of ceasing up . 'i dont jack cars up unless i have to' chaing oil filter was no start for diy at home cause of location. It just very french.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4410
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA4411

Trend is down. Fact.

Major indices are below falling 200dma. This is bearish.

S&P cld get back 2040 but doesn't need to. We are in bear mkt unless MAs turn back up.

On other hand G Bonds continue to trend up.

HOLA4412

Trend is down. Fact.

Major indices are below falling 200dma. This is bearish.

S&P cld get back 2040 but doesn't need to. We are in bear mkt unless MAs turn back up.

On other hand G Bonds continue to trend up.

So why have you said is it bullish for gold, silver & miners for the last several years?

or for that matter 1987

http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=%24SPX&p=D&st=1987-01-01&en=1988-12-30&id=p00814166093

or 2011

http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=%24SPX&p=D&yr=5&mn=0&dy=0&id=p08173998659

etc etc........

Edited by R K

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

I am not sure about others here, but there is a certain feel in the air currently in the stock market.

I day trade volatile stocks and sometimes the volatility is just incredible to behold.

Certainly wouldn't surprise me if we did see a proper correction like the one on the 24 of last month. Time will tell.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
  • 3 weeks later...
HOLA4417

Still trying to work out what happened on Thursday morning when the shorts push towards 5500 was halted before it had even started. No news, just chaos theory and the flapping of a butterfly's wings; one trader's bullish thoughts spreading like contagion and turning around a trend just like that.

I guess the end of the year is starting to concentrate minds and there is a belief that we are going to have a big push to the year end.

Could be wrong, didn't think we would be in this position during the gloom on Wednesday.

Edited by crashmonitor

HOLA4418

Well the recovery didn't take a hold last week like I thought, though it is having another go today at 6400 this morningdragged kicking and screaming by Wall Street. God only knows where prices would have gone had it not had support from across the pond.

Really been the laggard of global indicies once more in the face of the continued commodites slump.

Wall Street this morning is pushing for the 2/3 low to high retracement (would need to get to 17357). Meanwhile the FTSE can't even hold a low to high retracement at 50% that would be 6445.

http://www.ig.com/uk/ig-indices/wall-street

Edited by crashmonitor

HOLA4419

Well the recovery didn't take a hold last week like I thought, though it is having another go today at 6400 this morningdragged kicking and screaming by Wall Street. God only knows where prices would have gone had it not had support from across the pond.

Really been the laggard of global indicies once more in the face of the continued commodites slump.

Wall Street this morning is pushing for the 2/3 low to high retracement (would need to get to 17357). Meanwhile the FTSE can't even hold a low to high retracement at 50% that would be 6445.

http://www.ig.com/uk/ig-indices/wall-street

"Fibonnaci retracements" are like moon phases. Every "retracement" will always be somewhere on the distribution else it's not a retracement.

• 2 months later...
HOLA4420