House Price Crash Forum

Ftse Watch

TheCountOfNowhere

HOLA441

The thing I find strange is everybody I talk to say they are really busy work coming out of there ears.

Can anybody here say if they are finding the same or the opposite?

Well I'm currently not working. It looks like I should have sold the shares in my previous company two weeks ago.

Edited by MrPin

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

The thing I find strange is everybody I talk to say they are really busy work coming out of there ears.

Can anybody here say if they are finding the same or the opposite?

The people I work with have a job...but their productivity is dreadful. Worst I can remember in last 15yrs.

No pay rises...little motivation. Threat of outsourcing also. I'm in an IT environment.

Pretend working ?

Edited by Agentimmo

HOLA443

The people I work with have a job...but their productivity is dreadful. Worst I can remember in last 15yrs.

No pay rises...little motivation. Threat of outsourcing also. I'm in an IT environment.

Pretend working ?

Aye, busy doing nothing. (Perhaps Winkie will post the song?)

This is a very common situation. Why I don't want to work in IT, except for certain positions. :wacko:

HOLA444

Well I'm currently not working. It looks like I should have sold the shares in my previous company two weeks ago.

Funny enough my TV stopped working and I gave it a bang on the top and it started working again.

I thought that maybe if you ........

on second thoughts forget it.

HOLA445

Aye, busy doing nothing. (Perhaps Winkie will post the song?)

This is a very common situation. Why I don't want to work in IT, except for certain positions. :wacko:

and don't forget the big companies who now offer "compressed hours".

ie. you work 35hrs in 4 days , giving you the (usually) Friday off.

My experience of this is the worker does 4 days work, not 5 !

A scam. With the employers blessing.

HOLA446

Yeah, I prefer my straight up 3 day week.

They may get 85% of the value of a 5 day per week worker (because I'm a Trojan), and pay me 60% of one, but the time off is priceless and I remain excellent value for money whilst only ever working my set hours.

HOLA447

Surely work lags behind?

I know someone with a huge mortgage who walked away from a decent it job to go freelance. Thinks he has a contract for a bank that is virtually guaranteed for 2 years and thinks he will make a fortune as the gross amount is double what he PAYE day amount was. Very new to contracting obviously.

I never doubled my money being freelance. A healthy 30% to 50% extra though. Also that "guaranteed" two years work may be cut short suddenly. So swings and roundabouts. But my last 3 "staff" positions all ended up with sudden redundancy. :blink:

HOLA448

Yeah, I do my hours in 4 days though I doubt they even get 3 days work out of me.

HOLA449

The FTSE closed at 6187.65, down 2.83%.

That makes 9 consecutive down sessions for the FTSE 100, tying the present run in 2nd place along with 14th - 24th Nov 2011 in the list of top losing streaks since the index began in 1984.

If you take the percentage fall into account, this losing run (-8.1%) beats the 2011 one (-7.5%).

Number one spot is currently taken by the 11 session losing streak from 13th - 27th Jan 2003 (-12.4% over the period).

and if you factor in inflation over the past 12 years?

even with gordon ramsey style book cooking on cpi, you still end up with a 30-40% devaluation in real terms.

now we have to start asking questions WHY it has not even kept place with inflation, like the DAX(which in inflation terms is about right) and the DOW.(which in inflation terms is probably 30% overvalued.. AT 29*p/e when long term average is about 15-16*)

the only answers I can come up with are:

1)the regulatory environment has been hostile since 1997

2)the so called "bonfire of the quangoes" and de-regulating/removal of micromanagement has not happened,despite all of the smooth talk and sales pitch.

2)outside influences are engaging in repression

in short, our leadership is either incompetent,or willfully negilgent, or outright malevolent.....and needs changing.#

what was that saying again?? "politicians are like diapers"

Edited by oracle

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

The world is delaying buying....either they don't want it, or don't need it, can do without it.....or the effort required to attain it is not worth it.

People delay purchasing when prices are falling, and then buy things they don't want when prices are rising. Sometimes these investments turn out to be a bit of a dud.

HOLA4412

The world is delaying buying....either they don't want it, or don't need it, can do without it.....or the effort required to attain it is not worth it.

I think in the west rent rises are partly to blame for less consumerism. After paying rent / mortgages every month people just don't have the money to consume.

As with the start of time, for most people if they had the money they would consume.

HOLA4413

Amen. Car is 09 Focus bought brand new.All the toys. Doesnt need replacing. Still looks swish enough, for a Ford hatchback.

Phone is a Sony 3g but is completely fine for what i need. 3 Keep ringing me with "deals", which i decline.

Laptop, same, in fact everything, same.

HOLA4414

I am starting to think that the printing presses will be fired up again rather than interest rates increased.

However that assumes that the game plan remains the same.

If the VIs have exited the market in tact then a deflation may be what they now want.

Interesting times ahead over the next few months.

HOLA4415

Amen. Car is 09 Focus bought brand new.All the toys. Doesnt need replacing. Still looks swish enough, for a Ford hatchback.

Phone is a Sony 3g but is completely fine for what i need. 3 Keep ringing me with "deals", which i decline.

Laptop, same, in fact everything, same.

My 06 mondeo was bought brand new. However not by me I paid £1000 for it.

HOLA4416

same here.

My three year old phone is still fine. I do wonder what would happen if everyone spent like hpc people, the country would be in even woorse state

I was just thinking what I have spent today £2 cider and £2.40 food. I guess diesel and electric too. But not a lot compared to what I have earned.

HOLA4417

Way to go. Let somebody else appreciate the depreciation. ^_^

HOLA4418

same here.

My three year old phone is still fine. I do wonder what would happen if everyone spent like hpc people, the country would be in even woorse state

My old Nokia 3510 (which I was given) broke, and I splashed out £34 on a refurbished 6310. :blink:

I am almost ashamed to admit my extravagance on HPC. :mellow:

Edited by MrPin

HOLA4419

At best he will have a 20% increase in take home pay given the generous perks the job had and the perm job was very very secure. Bank contractor role not so much, and I expect per hour pay he will be worse off.

He was boasting about very outdated tax loopholes before he left, it was all quite cute in a very nieave way.

And since you employ yourself, you will be paying employers NI aswell, and hopefully contributing to some pension. And you will be paying an accountant, a few times a year, and doing lots of paperwork on Saturday mornings.

HOLA4420

I buy peugeot diesels with 80-90k on the clock for 2-3k then run them for 70k ish miles before scrapping or trading in (if I find a trader gullible enough), never service them so it works out very cheap per mile.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

I do the same, has the added advantage for me of avoiding 40% tax. So gives me a 5% increase on the days I work and less money to boomers pensions.

​

Yep, me too (avoiding 40%). The marginal gain of working the other days is pointless. I avoid the 20% too, but that's a whole different story ;-)

I've just bought enough food for the weekend for about 6 quid, all fruit, veg, pulses etc and most was 75% off, thanks Morrison's. Gym and pool today gave me two hours of fun and a very long hot shower, works out as less than a pound a day.

Yes, and here. Except I also chucked in a lovely piece of ribeye at 85% off in Waitrose. I also used the shower at the gym - for the slightly less honourable reason that it saved me bothering to clean my own one up afterwards!

We should clearly get married so we can get the benefit of joint current accounts paying 3% or 4% interest. I've maxed out the ones I can have as a single person and could do with another 50% headroom. Last of the great romantics.

HOLA4424

I brought my almera with 25k miles on clock for 4k 6 ,7 years ago. Still going strong with 90k on clock.

Its great cars no longer rust

Tell that to my mid noughties different manufacturer Japanese model :angry:

Ah well, ACF50 all over the wheel arch next time it stops raining for a few days should stave off the rot for a year from what I've read. I've already had very decent value from it in 4 years anyway.

Mind you, some of the lease deals available these days work out astonishingly good value when one looks at the total cost of ownership......I might even get a new car next time, seeing as someone else seems to pay a lot of the depreciation on some of these deals.

Just a shame that's not true on motorcycle PCP plans....yet.

HOLA4425