House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
OnlyMe

Sharp Rise In Number Of Jobless Youths In Uk

The employment crunch is coming fast. Not long ago there were supposedly 600,000 spare jobs in the market, well, unlimited economic migration has put paid to that employment buffer.

Tripple whammy, less money staying in the UK economy, more unemployment, more taxes to pay for unemployment.

http://news.ft.com/cms/s/6781e9be-6cda-11d...00779e2340.html

Sharp rise in number of jobless youths in UK

By Simon Briscoe, Statistics Editor

Published: December 14 2005 19:55 | Last updated: December 14 2005 19:55

Long-term youth unemployment has returned to about the level it was when the government’s flagship New Deal was introduced in 1998, casting doubt over the value of the £5bn benefits-to-jobs programme.

The New Deal is crap anyway. When I was looking for work a few years ago an awful lot of jobs said "New Deal only", therefore cutting me out of a large number of jobs. All it has done is increase unemployment among those not eligible to join it.

A friend of mine who runs a small business took on a couple of New Dealers. Within two weeks he had two vans stolen and half his equipment trashed. Triffic.

As regards the upward trend in unemployment, all I can say is "thin end of wedge".

Edited by FollowTheBear

i dont think its as simple as enough jobs. as there are more or less enough jobs.

its just these jobs cant buy you anything. £5 at 25 years old is common for these parts. where a corronation street 2 up 2 down terrace will set you back 80k. it makes working pointless.

so its best to stay at home on benefits, smoking weed, watching daytime tv in the home that you would have never had been able to afford to live in had you been working.

if you do get spare money you bingedrink. no worries. no work crew.

better than the no point crew.

i dont think its as simple as enough jobs. as there are more or less enough jobs.

its just these jobs cant buy you anything. £5 at 25 years old is common for these parts. where a corronation street 2 up 2 down terrace will set you back 80k. it makes working pointless.

so its best to stay at home on benefits, smoking weed, watching daytime tv in the home that you would have never had been able to afford to live in had you been working.

The obvious solution is to scrap all benefits save those for the truly needy.No work,no food.Simple really.

Just posted the following on another thread.

Employment and Unemployment Claimants have been rising together for the first few months of 2005 (just checked the ONS website. :blink: I look at the Claimant rate as that is the group that really cost GB, they are not just not generating wealth, they are absorbing wealth and they have been unemployed for 6 weeks (?) or so so they are not just between jobs!

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=12

Odd and very counter intuitive I know, but if you put aside synicism in the stats for a moment, it is probably indicating the continuing structural changes in the economy way from manufacturing (UK plc earning its living ) to the much vaunted services thing (its hardly an industry ). Also, the work force is still growing as more and more people chose careers over family (no judgement implied), but employment growth can no longer absorb to growing number seeking employment, hence Unemployment rise also. I would also expect, in these times of high debt, some people are taking second jobs just to cope.

There was a time when only Unemployment was measured. But some smarter than average politicion realised that unemployment and employment could change at different rates, increasing the chances that there would be at least some good news on the jobs front most of the time.

The good news (for those hoping a recession will help them on to the housing ladder) is that Employment appears to have peaked in August / October and is now falling slightly, and that Unemployment is accelerating. These two together indicate the start of a recession IMHO. I would expect the slight fall in Employment to accelerate in the coming monthe and for the Unemploy rate to grow at abou 0.3 to 0.5% a quarter all through 2006, based on previous trend, (early '80s and '90s.).

I have noted in my stats (sorry cannot post the graphs from this machine) that Unemployment rises quickly about 6 to 12 months after the houing market peaks. As this seems to be happening again I would suggest that the economy is following its usual cycle. So it appears that it is not different after all! Big falls in house prices (relative to earning / inflation) next year. So if inflation / earnings growth stay lowish then there will be drops in nominal house prices IMO.

Edited by FTBagain

They could all work on building sites, on starter homes they cannot afford themselves. It's a virtuous circle!

The problem in the UK is a lack of skilled labour, and that doesn't involve giving 50% of young people a degree in surfology.

Devon...

The £5 average for a 25 year old may even be overgenerous..

Your two bed terrace is going to be £180,000

Come live here.. its great..

Earn less then most.. Pay more then most..

Good stuff.

on another note.. and don't take offence..

If I could buy that sort of property for that sort of money I would think it was the bottom of the cycle..

I havent bought because there is no way that I can.. no way... not possible.

2 bed house.. £80,000..

Easy.

Cheap..

I speak from Devon..

Edited by apom