House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bristolhunter

No Singles/no Couples - Huh?

Seeing an increasing number of ads for rental places that make demands on tenants relationship status - seen both "no singles, only couples" and "not suitable for a couple, singles only" repeatedly in the last few days (to go along with the standard no pets/DSS).

I think I can understand no singles (if they acknowledge the rent is unaffordable for one, because holy crap these requests are nuts) for security, but why would they demand no couples? (None of these have been all inclusive or anything).

I've already cancelled a viewing telling an EA I'm just not having a landlord who wants a veto on my dating life either way - but I simply don't understand why they're making such demands in the first place. Any ideas?

No singles - because they don't want you not being able to afford the rent if you fall on hard times.

No couples - because they don't want the possibility of you breeding and small humans tearing up the place. Alternatively, it's a shared house which is already full to bursting. Missus and I ended up having to get a room each under similar circumstances - it having been made very clear that we were not welcome as a couple in the previous place I was staying (a house with six people in it already).

But basically it's to reinforce the notion of the landlord's power over you. You aren't buying a service, you're allowed to stay on the largesse of a petty feudal lord and subject to their prejudices and whims. They are trying to bake in learned helplessness.

See also ads in Welsh, Polish etc language only. Or common in east London - Asian only.

Edited by StainlessSteelCat

https://www.gov.uk/discrimination-your-rights/types-of-discrimination

1. Types of discrimination

It is against the law to discriminate against anyone because of:

• being married or in a civil partnership
  • being pregnant or having a child
  • disability
  • race including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin
  • religion, belief or lack of religion/belief
  • sex
  • sexual orientation

These are called ‘protected characteristics’.

You’re protected from discrimination in these situations:

• at work
  • in education
  • as a consumer
  • when using public services
  • when buying or renting property
  • as a member or guest of a private club or association

You are legally protected from discrimination by the Equality Act 2010.

Good luck on enforcement when you're trying to look for a flat. When you have no place to live, going through a legal system (without legal aid if you have any savings) is going to be fun fun fun...

Might be worth flagging such ads to larger organisations with the funds to pursue them? Generation Rent, for instance. Also the Advertising Standards Agency can be quite diligent, could be worth making a complaint to them. Flagging them to your Local Council probably wouldn't hurt either, they may well be looking into landlord licensing schemes and therefore inclined to take a keen interest.

No couples - it's too small for two people!

No singles - worried about covering the rent (but credit checks for rent usually look that you're earning at least 30 times the monthly rent each year so can cover it), or maybe parties?

Interestingly, being married is a protected characteristic for discrimination purposes, but not being married isn't!

See also ads in Welsh, Polish etc language only. Or common in east London - Asian only.

This really irqs me, given the amount of help to combat discrimination. (For the record, I don't read the Daily Heil Mail). I wind up such ads with the help of some Polish or Asian friends who turn up with me. I then politely point out it is illegal and then them squirm as it gets translated :)