House Price Crash Forum

Will Anyone On Here Admit To Having An Apple Watch?

SNACR

HOLA441

I'm sure I'm the type of apple customer they wanted to target. I'm not a fan boy but I do own a Mac and an iPhone. I have tried a friend's apple watch. Seemed nice quality and a bit of fun but can't really justify the need to receive notifications on my wrist. The one day charge is off putting. As is the price. I can see the appeal of getting notifications at a glance in meetings or something but I'd probably be drawn to getting the phone out anyway. When they really nail it and Siri on the watch nails almost everything I think it'll be big. Wearable tech is the future bit it's not convincing yet - to me.

Pebble time watch looks nice. LCD screen that is low power and a reasonable price.

HOLA442

I'm sure I'm the type of apple customer they wanted to target. I'm not a fan boy but I do own a Mac and an iPhone. I have tried a friend's apple watch. Seemed nice quality and a bit of fun but can't really justify the need to receive notifications on my wrist. The one day charge is off putting. As is the price. I can see the appeal of getting notifications at a glance in meetings or something but I'd probably be drawn to getting the phone out anyway. When they really nail it and Siri on the watch nails almost everything I think it'll be big. Wearable tech is the future bit it's not convincing yet - to me.

Pebble time watch looks nice. LCD screen that is low power and a reasonable price.

Yeah the two big issues at the moment are the battery life and the fact it needs the phone to have any sort of function at all. Solve those and it might be worth a look.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

I've got a Microsoft Band. More of a fitness tracker with some smart watch functionality such as the ability to receive emails, respond to texts and see who is calling you.

I wear it for the fitness tracking but the notifications are a nice bonus as I have a phablet style phone - a quick glance when I get a notification lets me know if it is something worth getting the phone out to answer. Handy if in a meeting, driving, carrying bags, etc.

The band is very much a Gen 1 product but I think the idea of a relatively discrete, cheap band that you can replace without breaking the bank as new versions are released is a good one - if you want you can also wear a more showy timepiece of your choosing as jewelry.

HOLA446
HOLA447

+1

What's wrong with the church clock?

I've stolen the bell to make a cermonial Dalek for Harvest Festival. We country folk are like that. :wacko:

HOLA448
HOLA449

Why don't they put batteries into the strap ? I know it may increase weight - but a nice heavy feel can be pleasant - and I am sure most would take that to allow decent battery life ?

HOLA4410

I've got a Microsoft Band. It is much cheaper than the Apple Watch and as a fitness aid it is better. It integrates with the iphone well, and with Cortana if you have Windows Phone. Actually it is probably more comparable with a FitBit, but with stronger messaging integration.

HOLA4411

I have a Metawatch - it isn't anything close to being an iwatch, but it does do the notifications bit quite well. It was excellent in it's day (2013), but I wouldn't really recommend one now - I'd get a pebble if I wanted a serious product. Except that you can pick them up really cheaply at the moment (I've recently seen their Strata new for £30 - I guess, but don't know, that the company is in trouble) - if you just want to see if notifications are for you then they will do the trick.

[they do more than notifications, but I think that notifications are the important bit, and all the others are just gloss while the manufacturers desperately try to give people a reason for buying their product. I'd include fitness tracking in this - my world seems to be full at the moment of overweight people telling me how many steps they're doing, while the trimmer folk just get on with being active. Of course it might just be that the overweight people will eventually become trimmer people because of this amazing technology, but I doubt it.]

Archived