House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SNACR

Will Anyone On Here Admit To Having An Apple Watch?

I've been looking at them in the Apple store and can't decide - not as many punters in the stores seemingly as there used to be and no-one else really looking at the watches. .

I do really like the idea of not having to fish my phone out of my pocket to read texts and emails, I actually reply to very few - which I'm sure boils people's piss enormously but don't really care - but I'm concerned it's going to be crap.

I know this is like looking for dietary advice on some sort of trucker's forum.

BTW that Timex watch, I liked, that I couldn't believe ticked as loud as a lot of people made out it did does in fact tick really loudly.

Not personally but know someone who has.

Last week they dropped it on the floor.. seems the watches have the same issue as the phones:

apple_iwatch_advertisement_broken_screen

Isn't ebay full of a gazillion protective cases yet for -£0.01 + free shipping from China?

Probably.. And to be fair he did drop it on a stone tiled floor.

I tried one for a week before sending it back. Not enough utility for 300+ notes in my opinion. It's kinda slow, does almost nothing when out of range of the phone and the battery life was even poorer than expected (a third of it went in an hour and half run). All of the various fitness doodahs are poorly calibrated - over reporting steps, under reporting running mileage. Messaging was slow - it could take hours for a message (email or text) to come through. Third party apps were a disappointment. Imagine you have a workout app, one which calls out instructions at 30 second intervals. There's a version for the watch. It doesn't calls out instructions and only displays them - if you raise your wrist. Pretty stupid if you are trying to do push ups. Managing the thing requires using a special iTunes like app on your phone, but that is somehow even more horrible than iTunes. BTW it only works with iPhone. If you are on Android etc - forget it.

A rare example of Apple over promising I felt. It's no longer the 90s, and I expect expensive gadgets to do what they say, and well - rather than almost work.

As gadget lovers will know - a key part of owning one is being able to show it can do to curious onlookers if they ask. The missus was immediately curious - and thought it was a load of crap when nothing worked quite well enough or seemed to be particularly useful. I wasn't able to disabuse her of the notion.

It did, however, look extremely nice and very comfortable to wear - and overall it has potential. Calendar was well implemented, as were the quick taps to let you know something was happening. I loved the find my phone tracker app and in fairness others seemed to have had a better experience. At half the price I'd take another look, or wait for version 3. My guess is that they must be sitting on a ton of returns to sell in the refurb store when version 2 comes out though.

I have a moto360 (was a present)

Be gentle people....

Used it religiously for a Month but now its very much meh!!!!

Best bit about it is an app called facer. One day it can be a rolex the next day it can be a bugati -_-

Am not never have and never will be an Apple fanboy..... Android stuff is just as good at a fraction of the price.

I'm still not sure, it's definitely the text and email reading I'm after.

Sh1t online reviews don't generally deter me though, as evidenced by the Timex, so I'm not sure of the point of this thread. Although I have had many a very satisfactory product with unfavourable online reviews.

My boss, who gets through a lot of tech bling, took the opportunity to show off his Android-based watch the other week - I don't even remember what functionality was demonstrated. He seemed quite annoyed when I told him I'd gone retro and showed him my cheap Orient winder.

I just can't see the value in in until it actually replaces something that I already have to carry. I felt the same about the iPad - until I can dump the laptop and only carry around an iPad, then I don't want to add the extra weight and hassle. Admittedly that's unfair, as I have to use Windows for work, so the iPad was never going to compete. But I bought my wife one, and whilst she uses it all the time, it does nothing for me.

Same with the watch. I was falling about laughing the other day when I saw the ad for the IG Index app for the Apple Watch. I found myself thinking that if you can see value in spread betting on your watch, over and above doing it on your phone of iPad or laptop or desktop, then you probably don't have enough important things going on in your life.

Now the Kindle, quality investment. Saved me carrying one new book and one nearly finished one every time I went away for a week.

At the ripe old age of 40-something, I have to fiddle with my glasses to read text on something that small. I am short sighted, so can focus ridiculously close up without my glasses, so for me it is easy, it is a case of taking the glasses off. For most people it is a case of finding the glasses...

I don't see the utility. So it can alert me to a text without the awful chore of taking my phone out of my pocket and looking at the screen. I don't find that much of a chore really. It can provide some slightly inaccurate fitness data, but if I was really interested in fitness data, I'd be wearing a Polar chest strap and getting accurate data.

Having another damn thing to charge is a complete pain. Presumably you have to take it off every night to charge it, which seems rather retrograde when compared to a normal watch.

I'm still not sure, it's definitely the text and email reading I'm after.

Sh1t online reviews don't generally deter me though, as evidenced by the Timex, so I'm not sure of the point of this thread. Although I have had many a very satisfactory product with unfavourable online reviews.

If bad reviews don't discourage you, or good ones the reverse - then you might as well go for it. Apple will let you have one for a couple of weeks which you can return no questions answered, and they'll even pick it up for free.

Like others have already said, it doesn't seem quite the revolution that the iphone was (I realise smartphones existed before, but the iphone was much more accessible).

Apple seem to be slowing down on the revolutionary products now.

ipod - amazing - SSD hardrive with enough storage to house most people's music collection 10/10

Iphone - as above, pocket PC that makes calls and easy to use 9/10

ipad - tablets made much less clunky, powerful enough for most things (apart from being able to do real work on them!) 7/10

iwatch - a solution to the ultimate first world problem. Not having the effort to glance at your phone 5/10

Like others have already said, it doesn't seem quite the revolution that the iphone was (I realise smartphones existed before, but the iphone was much more accessible).

Apple seem to be slowing down on the revolutionary products now.

ipod - amazing - SSD hardrive with enough storage to house most people's music collection 10/10

Iphone - as above, pocket PC that makes calls and easy to use 9/10

ipad - tablets made much less clunky, powerful enough for most things (apart from being able to do real work on them!) 7/10

iwatch - a solution to the ultimate first world problem. Not having the effort to glance at your phone 5/10

You missed the ipod touch - 99% of the functionality of an iphone for £130. Somewhat redundant now thanks to tablets.

You missed the ipod touch - 99% of the functionality of an iphone for £130. Somewhat redundant now thanks to tablets.

True. I'm surprised they haven't become the phone-killer what with skype/whatsapp, why would you even need a traditional phone contract anymore?

and actually in retrospect I'm doing the ipad a bit of a disservice. XP had a tablet edition when it launched, but the hardware just didn't really exist. My main gripe with them is that they seem to be the be all and end all solution for business when they don't really understand what they can solve for. I use mine now as an extremely expensive remote for Kodi and bedtime stories for the kids.

Microsoft surface was/is the best tablet IMPO Can run office with a keyboard AND fart-apps! I tried using excel for ipad when it was made free, and it's utterly pointless.

I think the watch has greater potential than that. But for sure they haven't realised it yet. Non intrusive personal health/environment monitoring probably is the killer app - but the tech isn't there yet. I have high expectations in this area eg automatically monitor hormone levels, blood sugar etc - and nudge me if my biodata is going out of whack or letting me know if traffic pollution breaches EU limits in my locality. Coupled with that it should charge from the natural movement of my body - like my automatic watch used to do.

As you say the "can't be assed to pull phone from pocket" or "worried what others think if I do" crowd is a small one. Any company is going to have work hard to get me to going back to wearing stuff - especially stuff which needs charging each night.

I see this as Apple dipping a toe into the water and using their base as test subjects to figure out where to concentrate their future development efforts.

Plus ça change ...

Goodness, that must have been about 1975! :blink:

In fairness to Apple I watched a short BBC news clip showing people who were unimpressed with the watch, and they interviewed a lady who "knows" about this sort of stuff. She made the point that google glasses and apple watch are the first forays into wearable tech, and that it's completely expected for the first efforts to be pretty useless - the main point is that they learn form the user feedback what is useful and what is not for future versions.

Which I do think is a fair comment. If in a few years time I am reading the latest novels on the inside of my google glass lenses and putting the kettle on to boil when I'm 5 minutes from home with a quick command to my apple watch, then I'll be very grateful to all the people who spunked their money away on the early versions.

Just not so grateful that I actually want to be one of them.

Not personally but know someone who has.

Last week they dropped it on the floor.. seems the watches have the same issue as the phones:

apple_iwatch_advertisement_broken_screen

Seems like these watches have the same issues.... as other watches. I.e. throw them at the floor and they break.

I'm not sure wearable tech of the Sci-Fi film variety will ever take, in a big way. No-one but taxi drivers ever wore bluetooth earpieces.

I've had things like electrically heated jackets and insoles and the novelty quickly wears off.