House Price Crash Forum

Are The Tories Actually Really Scared By Corbyn?

olde guto

HOLA441

A couple of weeks ago various Tories seemed to be saying that the best thing that could happen for them is for Corbyn to win. It would guarantee them 20years of power sort of thing.

Fast forward a few weeks and the DM seems to be in full Tory party HQ attack dog mode, today's DM has at least five articles having a dig at Corbyn one way or another (you can see for yourself if you go to their website). I've seen a more than a few similar articles over the past week or so, so it's been building a head of steam.

Is this reverse psychology to get Corbyn elected - if the DM hate him so much then Labour members will think he must be the best candidate?

Or are the Tories really shit scared of him winning?

From what I've seen of coverage he seems to resonate with younger voters better than Dave or Ed did, being an old school leftie means he appears to be more sceptical of the EU (for different reasons to Tory/UKIP) so might pull in Labour voters who defected to UKIP, and finally there are all the Labour supporters who stopped voting altogether after the Bliar years. Have the Tories done the sums and they think Corbyn could even win the next general election?

Personally I'd like to see him win as I suspect (or rather hope) he'll put housing firmly on the agenda and might force/panic the Tories to take actions that'll help trigger an HPC (my current feeling is that they want to slow HPI whilst avoiding a crash).

HOLA442
HOLA443

I think the politicians who are stuck with the spin doctors and focus group mentality (more in Labour but there are obviously some in other parties) are bricking themselves. A leader who answers questions honestly, and has clear policies? That will never do...

HOLA444
HOLA445

> Or are the Tories really shit scared of him winning?

I doubt it.

Absolutely.

Even during the last couple of weeks Corbyn has said galloway level comments on the middle east. I bet there's a whole warehouse full of batshit crazy things he's come out with over the last 4 decades.

I dont get this whole corbyn might actually win the general election line.

The man is a relic, a dinosaur. The electorate go for youngish looking men with soundbites. Not some pontificating prat who seems more bothered about the plight of Palestinians than fixing the cancer within labour that allowed Rotherham to happen.

HOLA446
Guest TheBlueCat

I seriously doubt they're worried. Also note that they have kept almost completely silent on the crazy stuff he's coming out with, there must be some serious work going on in the background to make that happen.

HOLA447

The thing is, the last election was a lot closer than people now make out even with Ed Milliband, if there was a serious financial collapse in the next 4 years, Corbyn would have a chance as the 'alternative voice'.

He obviously never thought he would be in this position, so has probably said many things that would not go down with the British electorate.

HOLA448

They're not concerned like they weren't concerned about UKIP until UKIP got a majority in the eu elections and polled about 4 million votes in the UK elections.

They think that their corporate pals and the bought and paid for media will help them get over any Corbyn hurdle through frightening propaganda and stuff like open letters (remember the Scottish independence vote as well) and in the meantime they can work on feathering their own nests at most everyone elses expense. They think that the same demonising tactics that worked against both Foot and Kinnock will work again (I was and am no supporter of either but do remember similar tactics used against them as Corbyn now) but they claimed those two in their different times would wreck the UK economy and guess what the LibLabCon still managed to wreck the UK economy without the help of either of them.

Notice there's been no similar propaganda campaign by the bought and paid for against those wanting ever increasing house prices (the LibLabCon and currently represented by the Con wing) which continues to wreck the UK economy - even Carney of the BoE appeared to recently acknowledge that high house prices have a negative effect on the UK economy (mind you how belated is that).

Edited by billybong

• 3 months later...
HOLA449

They're not worried about him winning - the wider estrablishment (or which the Tories are a central part) ARE worried that a non-establishment person is in a position of power and influence.

This means that alternative views which have been for years sidelined or completely ignored/supressed in mainstream media are now likely to come to public attention and that could upset the apple cart.

It's like an animal herder worrying when there's a rogue beast at the head of a herd threatening to change the direction of those behind it.

• 1 month later...
HOLA4410

Exactly as sour mash said. Since the financial crisis populations throughout europe have shown contempt for their political elites by voting for non mainstream parties both on the left and the right. Corbyn is a manifestation of this, so naturally the establishment hate and fear what he represents.

HOLA4411

They're not worried about him winning - the wider estrablishment (or which the Tories are a central part) ARE worried that a non-establishment person is in a position of power and influence.

This means that alternative views which have been for years sidelined or completely ignored/supressed in mainstream media are now likely to come to public attention and that could upset the apple cart.

It's like an animal herder worrying when there's a rogue beast at the head of a herd threatening to change the direction of those behind it.

This.

Scared of change. I find it refreshing he's there to put the cat among the pigeons, but I'd not want him to be PM

• 1 month later...
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Following the referendum there could well be a realignment of British politics with the Tories split into two. People don't vote for extremists either on the left or the right so there is scope for the more moderate parts of the Tory party to seek a coalition with what is left of the LibDems and the Blairites to form a new party in time for 2020.