House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

libspero

Chinese School (Program)

Anyone been watching it?

For anyone who hasn't, it's about five Chinese teachers who have been drafted in to teach a class of 50 at a school in the UK.

The most striking thing so far is how unaccustomed the Chinese teachers are to having to maintaining discipline.. presumably they just don't come up against that kind of classroom culture over there.

The second is there seems to be a bit of a language barrier.. I'm pretty sure half the kids can't hear/understand the teacher.

The third is how much more advanced Chinese kids are at any given age group.. I think in maths the British kids were being taught at Chinese primary school level.

Finally, how the program is gearing up to conclude that the English system is better despite point three.

Oh, and how British parents are a bit crap (giving your kid a kettle to make tea in lessons.. Wtf?!)

Anyone else watched it / have any thoughts?

I've been watching it. My views are as follows:

There is a gross misfit between the Chinese teachers' methods and the way in which the pupils are used to being taught.

The fact that kids in China are taught by their parents to respect authority/their teachers means they don't waste time keeping discipline but can use all their time for 'teaching' wasn't lost on me - and probably is the main reason that the pupils' chinese counterparts are 3 years ahead of them in education terms. The Chinese teachers' idea of 'chalk and talk' was not condusive to the experiential learning and it's debatable whether what their pupils regurgitate for exams is retained much into adult life. The Chinese system reminds me of how I was taught as a kid in the 50s and 60s. OK for us bright ones, but not great for the thickos.

As ever, I think a balanced mix of the two systems would prove to be the best way forward for us in the UK.

However, I agree with Libspero in that I think they're gearing up to say what a wonderful system we have here, despite the fact that arithmetic and english grammar, taught at primary school stage in China - as they were in my schooldays - are being done by 13/14 year olds here.

My question is are our teachers losing too much teaching time keeping discipline? :ph34r:

A friend of mine has loads of Chinese students in his uni lectures.

He says when they first come to the UK they are very submissive, will not look him in the eye, are afraid to ask questions and will not even go through a door before him. He has to keep telling them that they have not done things bad and that they will not be punished.

He says that within a year they are no different to any other British students.

I have noticed it with the Chinese students and relationships. When they first started coming to Swansea Uni a few years back you would see groups of male and female students walking around and you would notice no bodily contact between them. The males and females kept their own little distance from one another which reminded me of something out of 1984.

A few years later and you see male and female Chinese students walking around now arm in arm. Sometimes you see the girls draping themselves over the males in that puppy-like way that women do after they have first been rogered by a bloke. Some of the female Chinese students are, ahem, becoming far more adventurous in their western female dress as well.

He says when they first come to the UK they are very submissive, will not look him in the eye, are afraid to ask questions and will not even go through a door before him. He has to keep telling them that they have not done things bad and that they will not be punished.

I have noticed it with the Chinese students and relationships. When they first started coming to Swansea Uni a few years back you would see groups of male and female students walking around and you would notice no bodily contact between them. The males and females kept their own little distance from one another which reminded me of something out of 1984.

A few years later and you see male and female Chinese students walking around now arm in arm. Sometimes you see the girls draping themselves over the males in that puppy-like way that women do after they have first been rogered by a bloke. Some of the female Chinese students are, ahem, becoming far more adventurous in their western female dress as well.

Pics or I call bullsh*t :P

A lot of the things the chinese do (ie local level IQ testing) wouldnt be 'politically correct' here, they might show up some unwanted trends.

Instead we have A-levels were every region has a 98% pass rate! How unexpected!

No wonder companies rather hire foreigners...

Must be different now. Back in my uni first year (2002) from day one the chinese would push and jostle like crazy...i figured shortages caused by communim meant a grab it while you can attitude. The words 'orderly que' seemed to be foreign to them. One would get to the front of the lunch que and then invite 30 of his mates to push in.

Always pleasant to talk to, but had an ant like attitude, very grabby, pushy.

From what I've seen education has changed quite a bit in the last 40 years in this country.

The emphasis has changed from rote learning to focusing on how to think much earlier in the education system.

This represents a bit of a danger in Chinese society, because although they want the best thinkers to push themselves forward to the benefit of the country as a whole, there is baggage associated with that that they don't want to have to deal with, namely that free thinking people are much more difficult to control.

A friend of mine taught at a Singapore university. HIs comment was that the students just wanted the answers to the questions, without thinking them out themselves.

I always remember one of the Chinese students using exactly the same colour pens as the lecturer. We told him he was using the wrong colours and that he must be colour blind and should see a doctor. A couple of days later he came in and told us he'd been tested and there was nothing wrong with his eyes, he was very unhappy with us. Bruddy Engrish, Blunch of Bob Hopes, he said.

From what I've seen education has changed quite a bit in the last 40 years in this country.

The emphasis has changed from rote learning to focusing on how to think much earlier in the education system.

This represents a bit of a danger in Chinese society, because although they want the best thinkers to push themselves forward to the benefit of the country as a whole, there is baggage associated with that that they don't want to have to deal with, namely that free thinking people are much more difficult to control.

Would you say British people schooled under the old system of rote learning are also less capable of free thought?

I understand rote learning as a method of repetition for teaching things where reasoning isn't especially necessary (spelling, times tables, grammar etc).

Independent thought / reasoning / comprehension must be equally important, but I'm not sure if they can be applied to everything.

It could be I'm biased because more conservative learning methods suited me. I remember at primary school we had laissez-faire teachers who generally let us doss about. Much more fun as a kid than learning admittedly. Then one day someone did something naughty and we had to sit in silence and do talk and chalk. I learned more in a day than I did most of the term. Not to say that everyone is like me.. but for some kids I think rote learning is actually a pretty good teaching system.

Would you say British people schooled under the old system of rote learning are also less capable of free thought?

I understand rote learning as a method of repetition for teaching things where reasoning isn't especially necessary (spelling, times tables, grammar etc).

Independent thought / reasoning / comprehension must be equally important, but I'm not sure if they can be applied to everything.

It could be I'm biased because more conservative learning methods suited me. I remember at primary school we had laissez-faire teachers who generally let us doss about. Much more fun as a kid than learning admittedly. Then one day someone did something naughty and we had to sit in silence and do talk and chalk. I learned more in a day than I did most of the term. Not to say that everyone is like me.. but for some kids I think rote learning is actually a pretty good teaching system.

You need to learn facts, before you can think about them and see patterns. I can probably fill in half of the periodic table from memory. You just have to remember it, like songs.

It's simply that it's a very poor way to teach people. That's a fact. Now go away and learn it.

With this programme, and others like it, I am pretty sure in the last programme there will be a happy ending for the British education system!

Despite all the evidence, we will be told we are preparing well rounded individual's ready for the 21st century work place lol!!

The main thing that turns the British education system bad, is Government reorganising every few years, and this is not new. I went to a small grammar school aged 11, but the government amalgamated it with a huge zoo up the road, and made it comprehensive. Nothing wrong with comprehensive as such, but that's not what I wanted, and I then had to leave at 16, as they didn't do A levels any more. We did inherit some very good teachers from the larger school, however.

Secondary school has 2 functions:

1. Cheap babysitting so that parents can go to work.

2. Imparting facts and reasoning skills to the 20% or so of children who are academic enough to get jobs where they will need them.

Talk and chalk is good for 2 because it's an efficient way to transfer information, "experiential learning" is good for 1 because it keeps the kids busy.

You need to learn facts, before you can think about them and see patterns. I can probably fill in half of the periodic table from memory. You just have to remember it, like songs.

Be warned that some of them have recently changed.

http://www.sporcle.com/games/g/elements

You're not wrong. Most of the post-war ones seem to have vanished. Mussolinium, Hitlerium, Goebbelium, Oswaldium and Moslium; all the rest, all gone! "Berkelium", "Einsteinium", "Californium", "Rutherfordium"? What the hell's up with that?

Still got 78 though.

You're not wrong. Most of the post-war ones seem to have vanished. Mussolinium, Hitlerium, Goebbelium, Oswaldium and Moslium; all the rest, all gone! "Berkelium", "Einsteinium", "Californium", "Rutherfordium"? What the hell's up with that?

Still got 78 though.

That was a sh*t quiz. They haven't even got Pentium.

I worked in Brisbane for a couple of years and had engineers and CAD technicians from all over SE Asia working for me. They were all hard working and very good at completing anything asked of them. However the stereotype is true, set them a problem or a job that required some lateral thinking and they would struggle really badly.

Asia produces millions of degree qualified people every year, but how many of them are actually any good?

That was a sh*t quiz. They haven't even got Pentium.

Or Harmonium, or Euphonium? Two distressingly unmusical elements. :wacko:

I worked in Brisbane for a couple of years and had engineers and CAD technicians from all over SE Asia working for me. They were all hard working and very good at completing anything asked of them. However the stereotype is true, set them a problem or a job that required some lateral thinking and they would struggle really badly.

Asia produces millions of degree qualified people every year, but how many of them are actually any good?

Haven't worked with many myself, but when you look at patent applications by country the asians seem to do pretty well in the creativity stakes (the UK barely puts in an appearance).

Not sure how this could be accounted for if Asians are automatons?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Intellectual_Property_Indicators