House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bubbleturbo

Jeremy Corbyn - Interesting Fact

Expenses[edit]

During the 2009 expenses scandal, Corbyn was revealed as claiming one of the lowest amount of expenses of any Member of Parliament. In 2010 he claimed the smallest amount of all 650 MPs; in an interview with the Islington Gazette he said: "I am a parsimonious MP...I think we should claim what we need to run our offices and pay our staff but be careful because it's obviously public money...in a year, rent for the (constituency) office in Finsbury Park is about £12,000 to £14,000."[11] He rents his constituency office from the Ethical Property Company.

Aithough not a Labour supporter (blimey they're part of the despised LibLabCon) or particularly a Corbyn supporter voting him as leader and even having him as Prime Minister at some stage might give the Labour party the opportunity to demonstrate that someone like him could do a decent job for the country. Ok there's the clear risk that maybe it's an opportunity that might be completely squandered like NuLabour did.

At least it might provide an answer to those that claimed that Foot and then Kinnock would wreck the country/economy - and then those self same critics went on to wreck the country/economy. What does the UK have now but a party mainly interested in increasing house prices mainly for their own self interest - a policy that is manifestly against the interests of the general economy. Even the discredited Carney now appears to admit that.

At worst it would make little difference the country/economy is so badly run and only in the interests of a select few.

Edited by billybong

Corbyn as Prime Minister! :lol:

The labour party are good at one thing and that's being the opposition to the government of the day. It's a bit like your conscience, great to have around but if you let it rule your life then everybody else would take advantage of you.

Labour are scared of Mr Corbyn, because he's actually what they say they stand for and it scares them s**tless.

His low spending sounds like he is the ideal candidate to maintain austerity, either voluntarily or Tsipras-style (heart in the right place but couldn't overcome the regressive forces of neo-liberalism)

This is all shaping up to end a bit like, 'A Very British Coup'.

The labour party are good at one thing and that's being the opposition to the government of the day.

Except they havnt been good at it for a very long time. They only got in last time because of rampant tory corruption and only stayed in by blatant vote buying combined with a series of comedy tory leadership selections and and even more ineffectual tory opposition.

Edited by goldbug9999

..I think we should claim what we need to run our offices and pay our staff but be careful because it's obviously public money..

...I am no lefty...but if he walks this talk, he is a man of integrity ...and could teach MPs of all parties that this is the way to earn respect... :rolleyes:

Would he wreck the UK economy?

To be fair the LibLabCon have already wrecked it so could he do any worse. As I said earlier I'm not a supporter of Labour or him but could he do any worse.

Edited by billybong

To be fair the LibLabCon have already wrecked it so could he do any worse. As I said earlier I'm not a supporter of Labour or him but could he do any worse.

Labour wrecked the economy... let's be fair.

The cons will sort it out, but like dealing with a heroin addict, it has to be weaned off it, very slowly. You don't want to kill the patient do you? Labour have left all sorts of 'bombs' lying around. Waiting to explode over the next 20 years.

Having said that. Given time the cons will crush the people and cause all sorts of strife, but at least we will all be able to eat.

His ten points that he is standing to deliver are:

• Growth not austerity – with a national investment bank to help create tomorrow's jobs and reduce the deficit fairly. Fair taxes for all - let the broadest shoulders bear the biggest burden to balance the books.
  • A lower welfare bill through investment and growth not squeezing the least well-off and cuts to child tax credits.
  • Action on climate change - for the long-term interest of the planet rather than the short-term interests of corporate profits.
  • Public ownership of railways and in the energy sector - privatisation has put profits before people.
  • Decent homes for all in public and private sectors by 2025 through a big housebuilding programme and controlling rents.
  • No more illegal wars, a foreign policy that prioritises justice and assistance. Replacing Trident not with a new generation of nuclear weapons but jobs that retain the communities’ skills.
  • Fully-funded NHS, integrated with social care, with an end to privatisation in health.
  • Protection at work – no zero hours contracts, strong collective bargaining to stamp out workplace injustice.
  • Equality for all – a society that accepts no barriers to everyone’s talents and contribution. An end to scapegoating of migrants.
  • A life-long national education service for decent skills and opportunities throughout our lives: universal childcare, abolishing student fees and restoring grants, and funding adult skills training throughout our lives

That whole list just chills me to the spine..... Shiver...

The cons will sort it out, but like dealing with a heroin addict, it has to be weaned off it, very slowly. You don't want to kill the patient do you? Labour have left all sorts of 'bombs' lying around. Waiting to explode over the next 20 years.

Having said that. Given time the cons will crush the people and cause all sorts of strife, but at least we will all be able to eat.

• Growth not austerity – with a national investment bank to help create tomorrow's jobs and reduce the deficit fairly. Fair taxes for all - let the broadest shoulders bear the biggest burden to balance the books.
  • A lower welfare bill through investment and growth not squeezing the least well-off and cuts to child tax credits.
  • Action on climate change - for the long-term interest of the planet rather than the short-term interests of corporate profits.
  • Public ownership of railways and in the energy sector - privatisation has put profits before people.
  • Decent homes for all in public and private sectors by 2025 through a big housebuilding programme and controlling rents.
  • No more illegal wars, a foreign policy that prioritises justice and assistance. Replacing Trident not with a new generation of nuclear weapons but jobs that retain the communities’ skills.
  • Fully-funded NHS, integrated with social care, with an end to privatisation in health.
  • Protection at work – no zero hours contracts, strong collective bargaining to stamp out workplace injustice.
  • Equality for all – a society that accepts no barriers to everyone’s talents and contribution. An end to scapegoating of migrants.
  • A life-long national education service for decent skills and opportunities throughout our lives: universal childcare, abolishing student fees and restoring grants, and funding adult skills training throughout our lives

The economy has been getting more wrecked for decades under the LibLabCon. Admittedly NuLabour didn't help matters and maybe his policies aren't ideal - maybe far from it maybe not. Likely they'll be reneged on at any rate. I'm not so sure that the demonising will work so effectively this time as they've all proved to be so utterly incompetemt and self serving over the decades. The current lot just seem to think that more house price rises is the solution again - that plus more wrecking, self serving and serfdom to the banks etc and just as spine chilling

Edited by billybong

The economy has been getting more wrecked for decades under the LibLabCon. Admittedly NuLabour didn't help matters and maybe his policies aren't ideal - maybe far from it. Likely they'll be reneged on at any rate. The current lot just seem to think that more house price rises is the solution again - that plus more wrecking, self serving and serfdom to the banks etc and just as spine chilling

That's not true.

If I want something and it's during the working week, I can get it the next day, cheaper than in the shops and delivered to my door. Anything at all. That's not worse. It's better.

I think you are confusing the economy with the government. And yes, they are s**t. Do I want them running anything at all? No.

Corbyn wants to micro manage everything so it's fair to everybody. His fair to everybody, not my fair or yours.

Well that's not fair, is it?

Edit to add.

Imagine if you could vote on every thing that you had to deal with on a daily basis. You could decide it you valued it or not. Well that's what money is. It's a vote on things you approve of.

Edited by XswampyX

• Growth not austerity with a national investment bank to help create tomorrow's jobs and reduce the deficit fairly. Fair taxes for all - let the broadest shoulders bear the biggest burden to balance the books.
  • No more illegal wars, a foreign policy that prioritises justice and assistance. Replacing Trident not with a new generation of nuclear weapons but jobs that retain the communities skills.
  • Protection at work no zero hours contracts, strong collective bargaining to stamp out workplace injustice.
  • Equality for all a society that accepts no barriers to everyones talents and contribution. An end to scapegoating of migrants.

I'm surprised that he didn't put 'world peace' at the top of his pledges.

I get that Corbyn is a man of principle and obviously likeable, but being well-meaning is not enough.

While I am not naturally drawn to his end of the political spectrum, I would almost welcome his election to probe minister just to see what would happen. I would welcome being proven wrong.

I'm surprised that he didn't put 'world peace' at the top of his pledges.

I get that Corbyn is a man of principle and obviously likeable, but being well-meaning is not enough.

While I am not naturally drawn to his end of the political spectrum, I would almost welcome his election to probe minister just to see what would happen. I would welcome being proven wrong.

I agree, It's about time we had some 'honest' politicians. Whether you agree or don't, it's great to feel you have an informed choice. Vote Corbyn, the choice of the insane!

The labour party are good at one thing and that's being the opposition to the government of the day. It's a bit like your conscience, great to have around but if you let it rule your life then everybody else would take advantage of you.

Labour are scared of Mr Corbyn, because he's actually what they say they stand for and it scares them s**tless.

Good point! Nice he didn't claim extravagant expenses though. :huh:

What has been conspicuous from Corbyn's enemies is a total failure to explain why his policies won't work. Instead they just resort to insults.

Most of what he is suggesting is no different from what Ted Heath would have accepted as reasonable, or is now implimented in Germany. Its a measure of the 'loony right' we have in Government now that he doesn't have to be remotely extreme in his views.

I thought Corbyn was a loon to talk to the IRA, and to object to the Iraq war. Turns out that he was right on both counts. Its also a refressing change that he doesn't want to line his pockets with money unlike most of the NuLabour stooges. That's the real reason he scares so many people - he can't be bought off.

Edited by sikejsudjek

What has been conspicuous from Corbyn's enemies is a total failure to explain why his policies won't work. Instead they just resort to insults.

Most of what he is suggesting is no different from what Ted Heath would have accepted as reasonable, or is now implimented in Germany. Its a measure of the 'loony right' we have in Government now that he doesn't have to be remotely extreme in his views.

I thought Corbyn was a loon to talk to the IRA, and to object to the Iraq war. Turns out that he was right on both counts. Its also a refressing change that he doesn't want to line his pockets with money unlike most of the NuLabour stooges. That's the real reason he scares so many people - he can't be bought off.

I think so. I've just been hearing Gordon Brown moaning about him on early morning radio. :blink:

I hope he gets the leadership. I don't think any of them would make it in to power anyway, but I think he would provide an interesting opposition.

He might not have the answers, but I think he would at least ask some of the right questions.

+1

Edited by shindigger

The Conservatives are sorting it out are they? All I see around me are 20- and 30somethings living stagnant lives with no hope of improving their situation no matter how hard they graft while their taxes are chucked at the already incredibly spoiled 1930s-born and Boomers. Is that what sorting it out looks like?

We're into the sixth year of having a Tory in number 10. It's been long enough for policy to be having an effect. What's getting better?

Edited by Dorkins

The attack on Corbyn for talking to the IRAs McGuinness and Adams is odd since it is precisely what his biggest critic Blair did (and the Major government before). Edited by stormymonday_2011

I paid the Labour supporter fee just to vote for Corbyn. He is a breath of fresh air.

Even If I do not support new labour and actually like the budget, I like this guy.