House Price Crash Forum

Rampant Hpi Is Allowed Because It Keeps People Young

HOLA441

so, is this the reason that house price inflation is kept going - to keep people young?

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/flatmates-and-a-shit-job-make-you-seem-younger-say-experts-20150814101102

THE best way to feel younger is to have a dead-end job and live in a dilapidated shared house, researchers have found.

Scientists discovered that expensive face creams, dressing fashionably and going clubbing have only one-tenth the effect of getting the bus to a call centre because you have neither a driving licence nor a car.

Joanna Kramer of Bristol said: “I’m 36, but when I tell people I’m a part-time kitchen assistant at Wetherspoons they assume I’m in my early twenties.

“I still haven’t got a proper debit card, have no idea what to do with my life and live with strangers I despise. It’s like I’ve only just graduated from university.”

Retail worker Wayne Hayes agreed: “I think it’s the moped that does it for me.

“Certainly nobody would look at me and think ‘This is a man in his late 30s, weighed down by the responsibility of a mortgage and a career.

“I’m counting that as a win.”

HOLA442
HOLA443

I think the unending debt servitude and having to fight for a promotion for a pitiful wage increase being your only hope of improving your lot in life ages people horribly.

the irony is that just waiting a bit, perhaps move around the country for careere and wage progression does much more for your future.

People are brainwashed into thinking renting is dead money, without looking at the bigger picture. Dive into huge debts as it's the 'done thing'

those who are in house-shares at least are not living a lie. yes you get stress from house-mates. But low commitments and spare monies, and most importantly of all zero soul crushing debt.

I found in wage negotiations my bosses knew I didn't have a mortgage or commitments. and I was valuable for my experience. it's a double whammy.

sometimes it's a case of 'don't go full retard' in life. if your determined to buy, save up for the loss of equity to begin with. have a huge deposit and low LTV.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

30s is the upper threshold of when people should be settled down and well on their way to having kids.

Not any more.

An awful lot of people have been waiting an awful long time for the chance to grow up.

HOLA447

30s is the upper threshold of when people should be settled down and well on their way to having kids.

Not any more.

An awful lot of people have been waiting an awful long time for the chance to grow up.

It they didn't go to wine bars, have iPads etc they'd be fine.

HOLA448

It they didn't go to wine bars, have iPads etc they'd be fine.

My favourite one is the "young people nowadays expect to move straight into a 4 bed detached that doesn't need any work doing, you have to start at the bottom with a fixer-upper and work your way up". Meanwhile back in realityland the few 30somethings I know who have bought have done silly things like buy a 1 bedroom leasehold flat in some grim corner of southeast London with a 3-4x dual income mortgage or gone for 25% shared ownership schemes.

Edited by Dorkins

HOLA449

My favourite one is the "young people nowadays expect to move straight into a 4 bed detached that doesn't need any work doing, you have to start at the bottom with a fixer-upper and work your way up".

Yeah, where does that come from? My Dad says it, and he's lived in the same council house basically his whole adult life.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Yeah, where does that come from? My Dad says it, and he's lived in the same council house basically his whole adult life.

It's a useful marker of how well an older person understands what life for a younger person in 2010s UK is actually like. Extra irony points when it comes from somebody who bought/councilled a 3+ bedroom property in their 20s.

Edited by Dorkins

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

This is the best I could find quickly, but it sets the tone for the other comment I'm sure she made:

"She admits that people's expectations are too high. "A lot of first-time buyers expect their first home to come with a flat screen TV, two cars, a foreign holiday and the right handbag.""

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1896025/Locating-the-cause-of-the-property-crisis-with-Kirstie-Allsopp.html

HOLA4416

I think the problem arises when you're in a cruddy houseshare because you can't afford anything else, so you don't have the spare money you speak of.

plenty of places to live in the UK and save money and build a career. If you are in a house-share and still not able to save, then move away, house-shares only makes sense in that situation when you are in a field that has a high likelihood of leading to greater wages. if not move away.

life is too short to not be able to improve your lot in life. House-prices are insane and very very poor value, even in most parts of the UK. But there is always a way to improve your own life, and save for when better value comes along.

in places like London your competing with many people who have a low/zero cost base who can get a leg up, and a whole world of 'hobby jobs' paid for by others.

Why worry about moving away from your family? afterall any new family members will have to move away anyway. Family life in london is being destroyed unless you are able to help each other out though gains previously stolen.

be young and free in a pretty place in the world, yorkshire cornwall whatever takes your fancy. The mess will be sorted out one-day. but enjoy your youth and save for a better future.

Anyway just finished updating my budget, yesterday bought a 100mpg honda insight winter car (drives like a 1.5) helps keeps miles off the elise. and off to the beach to walk the doggy with a pretty local girl.

lifes what you make it!

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

This is the best I could find quickly, but it sets the tone for the other comment I'm sure she made:

"She admits that people's expectations are too high. "A lot of first-time buyers expect their first home to come with a flat screen TV, two cars, a foreign holiday and the right handbag.""

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1896025/Locating-the-cause-of-the-property-crisis-with-Kirstie-Allsopp.html

Thanks for digging that out. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have heard that first hand though so it's obviously something that has seeped into their generation's collective consciousness.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Things get even more bizarre at the other end of the tunnel.

You have worked your ass off to pay it off (25 yr mortgage done in around 12 years). No children, both simply do not have the need and would rather go out doing hobbies. Contract work is back from no where at 2007 levels. So were going to give that one last spin. After that quite able to live off a 3 day week min wage if need be, done it before. Have no interest in buying a bigger place, moving is 10 years away if ever.

Main assumptions by everyone are:-

Your going to start a family, its your last chance.

Your going to buy that 3 bed house for another £150k mortgage loan when your 40.

Have a steady job keep your head down, maximum amount of hours (unpaid overtime) 5 days a week.

You must not leave your job because of the pension.

You always get the look of abject horror. Give me the late 90's any day, this world has lost it.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Fair comment. Welcome to hpc.

Thanks! I've actually been reading for ages, finally got round to joining recently.

plenty of places to live in the UK and save money and build a career. If you are in a house-share and still not able to save, then move away, house-shares only makes sense in that situation when you are in a field that has a high likelihood of leading to greater wages. if not move away.

life is too short to not be able to improve your lot in life. House-prices are insane and very very poor value, even in most parts of the UK. But there is always a way to improve your own life, and save for when better value comes along.

in places like London your competing with many people who have a low/zero cost base who can get a leg up, and a whole world of 'hobby jobs' paid for by others.

Why worry about moving away from your family? afterall any new family members will have to move away anyway. Family life in london is being destroyed unless you are able to help each other out though gains previously stolen.

be young and free in a pretty place in the world, yorkshire cornwall whatever takes your fancy. The mess will be sorted out one-day. but enjoy your youth and save for a better future.

Anyway just finished updating my budget, yesterday bought a 100mpg honda insight winter car (drives like a 1.5) helps keeps miles off the elise. and off to the beach to walk the doggy with a pretty local girl.

lifes what you make it!

Would that this were true for everyone stuck in a crummy house share.

HOLA4425

Not any more.

They are making a mistake - the right thing to do is have the kids anyway and then the state will sort you out.

Harsh reality for people brought up to be self sufficient and independent is that for many, that isn't an option compatible with having a family or a self contained home.