House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
eddiew888

Planning On Move To Edinburgh

I am planning on moving to Edinburgh next year, I have 2 kids (they will be 8 year old and 6 year old when we move) and will like some advice on buying property in Edinburgh.

As mentioned since I have kids the most important thing for me is finding a home in a good catchment with good schools for both Primary and Secondary and also is safe areas for kids to play and grow up in.

I have a budget of around £250k which I understand will mean I will need to find a home away from the city center which is fine, as I drive. But my wife does not drive (yet) and so transport links need to be good too.

So which areas should I be looking in and which areas should be avoided?

A key thing to be aware of is that Edinburgh is an increasingly car-hostile city. Parking anywhere central is a nightmare, but the buses are very good. That often means that houses a little out of the centre are just as desirable and expensive as central ones.

The best catchment areas tend to be central. The best houses for your money will be on the outer outskirts.

Edinburgh prices right now look very toppy to me, If I was in your position I would rent a city centre flat and park your capital in a weekend cottage somewhere in Fife or the borders.

Alternatively if you are used to London style commuting, the drive from somewhere like Dunbar will seem like a breeze, (the equivalent of driving from one side of Reading to the other) and you get much more for your money out there.

A key thing to be aware of is that Edinburgh is an increasingly car-hostile city. Parking anywhere central is a nightmare, but the buses are very good. That often means that houses a little out of the centre are just as desirable and expensive as central ones.

The best catchment areas tend to be central. The best houses for your money will be on the outer outskirts.

Edinburgh prices right now look very toppy to me, If I was in your position I would rent a city centre flat and park your capital in a weekend cottage somewhere in Fife or the borders.

Alternatively if you are used to London style commuting, the drive from somewhere like Dunbar will seem like a breeze, (the equivalent of driving from one side of Reading to the other) and you get much more for your money out there.

"Parking" capital implies you might get it back, not a totally safe bet in this property market IMO.

Barnton, Cramond, Cammo areas very nice. However you wont get a house for that money. Royal High school is in that area and well thought of - even if I did go there !!

Parkgrove, East Craigs are similar areas - cheaper - but still not sure what you will get for that, Do a search on espc.com

What sort of house do you want for that money ? You can get a lot for your money if happy outside Edinburgh. West Lothian and Fife are much better value,

Barnton, Cramond, Cammo areas very nice. However you wont get a house for that money. Royal High school is in that area and well thought of - even if I did go there !!

Parkgrove, East Craigs are similar areas - cheaper - but still not sure what you will get for that, Do a search on espc.com

What sort of house do you want for that money ? You can get a lot for your money if happy outside Edinburgh. West Lothian and Fife are much better value,

Will the new bridge change that? Old bridge will take public transport only I believe, making the commute much easier, will FTB`ers pile into Fife?

Doubt it will make a huge difference - will still be traffic jams either side of the bridge.

Thanks for you comments guys.

I've read on the forum searches recommending those areas mentioned above. But they are not really within my budget if I am considering buying. May eventually rent (at first) if I can't find anything on the market that appeals.

I don't really mind living away from the city, so long as its a good area and transport links are good. May have a look at the Lothians too, but not too keen on really long journeys into work each morning.

If you are working centrally - then many places in West Lothian or Fife can have you in town within 30 minutes. East Lothian is very nice - but also very expensive - for the most part (Nice bits anyway).

South Queensferry still looks good value for money, though admittedly has gone up a bit in the last few years.

Has a lovely town centre, which is not something you can say for many towns on the outskirts of Edinburgh!