House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DTMark

Fortitude (Tv Series)

I shall try not to reveal plot spoilers.

Bored and looking for something to watch, I paid £20 for the DVD box set in Sainsburys.

I don't have a good history with soap operas, I just cannot invest the time and get bored too easily. The only ones with which I stayed the course were 'Breaking Bad' and 'Fringe'.

It starts quite intriguingly. The setting should make it quite chilling, but for some reason this doesn't really come off. Perhaps because you rarely see the town in 'long shot' and in context, so it could be 'anywhere cold where it snows a lot'.

The characters are all a little odd, cold, sterile. It suits the setting but smacks of poor writing and a desire to make everyone and everything ambiguous.

There's the suspicious doctor character. He's easily identified as a potential killer because he has a German accent and a slightly odd way about him. (The show's stereotype, not mine. It does seem a bit blatant, though).

The actual events that occur can only have a very limited number of explanations.

Season one ends with a number of fairly unsurprising revelations.

By episode 8, it has started to "do that thing that long running series do". The characters begin to exhibit the weirdest dialog, things you simply wouldn't actually say in the moment. Throwaway lines. "Who are you protecting?" presumably designed to engender some mystery, but it just comes across as weird, like the characters have gone a bit mad, or that they are on the set of the wrong show.

Some of the actions of the characters can't really be explained (one shooting in particular towards the end of season one) and will probably never be explained.

Review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes gave the first season an 88% rating with an average score rating of 7.7 out of 10 based on 26 critic reviews. The critical consensus reads "Fortitude‍ '​s fine cast, deliberate pacing, and chilling setting provide the show with more than enough of the titular quality

I really struggle with this assessment. It's.. OK. Nothing more. I'd probably give, say, Fawlty Towers about 9 out of 10. I would not give this nearly 8 out of 10.

Probably 5 out of 10. It is watchable but not if anything else more interesting is on. The cast isn't especially brilliant. The setting isn't especially chilling.

I can see this eventually culminating in a blockbuster of an ending, but I won't be bothering with season 2. Anyone else..

Heard similar reviews elsewhere - and decided not to give it the time of day. I only watch 3-4 hours of telly a week and can't be bothered with merely OK. Although I did waste 8 hours of my life on True Detective season 2 which was a tad better than OK, but definitely not as appealing as the first series.

I watched the series. Stuck it out but it was a big Mehhhhhh.

Thought Christopher Ecclestone was good but he not in it much.....

By episode 8, it has started to "do that thing that long running series do". The characters begin to exhibit the weirdest dialog, things you simply wouldn't actually say in the moment. Throwaway lines. "Who are you protecting?" presumably designed to engender some mystery, but it just comes across as weird, like the characters have gone a bit mad, or that they are on the set of the wrong show.

I'm getting a bit sick of shows where no-one shares information because they get interrupted, and then nothing. All the people have mobile phones/ample opportunity to explain shit but inexplicably cannot do so outside of moments of great tension.

I'm gonna stick to my entire "boxed set" of the A Team. :blink:

you haven't said anything about it.

but it sounds like a waste of time.

That's the trouble with not revealing spoilers. It limits what I can write :)

I'm being careful since I've been reproached quite correctly several times for doing exactly that.

The story is supposed to be set in the Northernmost, most remote community on the planet (actually filmed in Iceland) with 700 inhabitants, and no crime. Then the murders start.

Imagine one of the weaker Midsomer Murders stories being stretched out over about ten hours and filmed somewhere really cold, and throw in a 30,000 year old parasite uncovered with the discovery of a woolly mammoth causing people to go berserk and you have it.

I didn't think it was bad. It could easily have just been a bad pastiche of Nordic noir crime dramas but instead it was a genre mixing mish-mash that actually worked quite well.

The worst point for me was the bad acting from the woman whose husband had been in Afganistan.

I didn't think it was terrible, but it certainly didn't live up to the hype during the build up to it airing. Twin peaks it certainly wasn't.

I don't have sky, so sourced it from the usual places, and it was probably worth that effort but not a sky sub.

Heard similar reviews elsewhere - and decided not to give it the time of day. I only watch 3-4 hours of telly a week and can't be bothered with merely OK. Although I did waste 8 hours of my life on True Detective season 2 which was a tad better than OK, but definitely not as appealing as the first series.

That's useful to know. I have been weighing up investing the time in TD 2. Nearly abandoned the first initially but glad I stuck with it. The Farrell/Vaughn combo I've always viewed as distinctly inauspicious.