House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

blobloblob

Rip Blakey

Stephen Lewis has died.

I thought you had snuffed it then and was having some kind of post-death HPC posting. I am momentarily shocked.

I hated 'On The Buses' as a kid and especially his character.... but years later came to understand his comic timing. I think he was much better in 'Last of the Summer Wine' though.

Seeing the news earlier I was motivated to read the wiki pages of all 'the buses actors. I knew they other two stars were dead Reg Varney 2008 and Bob Grant (Jack Harper) 2003.

Sadly it appears Jack suffered from Bi Polar at the end of his life and topped himself in his garage with a hosepipe....... :unsure:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Grant_(actor)

Bob_Grant_On_the_Buses.jpg

Quite an iconic character was Blakey. We all did the impression.

The older I get, the more it seems people are popping their clogs :o

Aye, RIP Blakey - may you live on forever through the love of your many fans.

Oh, and obviously through the keyboard player in 'Sparks'...!

XYY

I don't think On The Buses was nearly as bad as it's now made out to be. It captured the spirit of a more austere Britain - like the fact that Reg and his sister were still living at home with their mum

And I particularly like the relationship dynamics between heavily-married Olive and Arthur contrasted with laddish Stan and Jack.

Nice to remember a world without everybody on fecking devices as well.

When meeting new people who want to know what I do for a living I've been saying 'I'm a Blakey' for ages now. I'm 36 and obviously it doesn't work for most people younger than me, but all the olds get it!

I don't think On The Buses was nearly as bad as it's now made out to be. It captured the spirit of a more austere Britain - like the fact that Reg and his sister were still living at home with their mum

And I particularly like the relationship dynamics between heavily-married Olive and Arthur contrasted with laddish Stan and Jack.

Nice to remember a world without everybody on fecking devices as well.

It was actually very realistic, and that's how people lived. I think it was a great comedy,series, and captures that time very well. ;)

"Blakey" visited our school once in 197x something. Maybe he was local?

From a programme in the same era I wonder how this chap will be remembered when he pops his clogs....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Smethurst

Interesting to read that he didn't work much after that programme but his co star went on (even to today) enhancing his career with a long standing role in a UK soap.

Doesn't it take two to tango?

back in them days, you did the blakey impression, "Get that bus art!" and everyone knew what you were talking about.

It was actually very realistic, and that's how people lived. I think it was a great comedy,series, and captures that time very well. ;)

Beeb comedies of the 70s tended to feature middle class families such as Terry and June or the Good Life. One exception was the Likely Lads, although 1 character was very upwardly mobile, Bob.

When meeting new people who want to know what I do for a living I've been saying 'I'm a Blakey' for ages now. I'm 36 and obviously it doesn't work for most people younger than me, but all the olds get it!

On that theme, I was listening to Classic Fm in the car yesterday, and the presenter said she'd just come across a wonderful piece of light music she'd never heard before, and played it.

Talk about showing your age - I knew it at once - must have heard it hundreds of times on the old Light Programme or Family Favourites, or whatever, although I had never known the name.

It's called Belle of the Ball by Leroy Anderson - wish I could post a YouTube link - there is a lovely one - for any other old farts/fartettes like moi.

Have just thought, wasn't it a signature tune for something on one of the old Beeb programmes? Anyone remember?

On that theme, I was listening to Classic Fm in the car yesterday, and the presenter said she'd just come across a wonderful piece of light music she'd never heard before, and played it.

Talk about showing your age - I knew it at once - must have heard it hundreds of times on the old Light Programme or Family Favourites, or whatever, although I had never known the name.

It's called Belle of the Ball by Leroy Anderson - wish I could post a YouTube link - there is a lovely one - for any other old farts/fartettes like moi.

Have just thought, wasn't it a signature tune for something on one of the old Beeb programmes? Anyone remember?

Not family favourites can remember listening to that on the BFBS when we were in the Far East in the late 60's....

I am 57 and I can't recall the 'Light Service' although didn't it become radio 2?

Alf Garnett.

Like Steptoe, a great creation that became big in the sixties yet retained their appeal in the 70s.

But most new Beeb comedy series in the 70s concentrated on middle class settings. For me the big exception would be Porridge. Not sure about Are you being served?

I think it was a theme tune for a radio program. It reminds me of Sunday Dinner.

Pity they couldn't afford guitars, and a 200 watt amplifier.

Like Steptoe, a great creation that became big in the sixties yet retained their appeal in the 70s.

But most new Beeb comedy series in the 70s concentrated on middle class settings. For me the big exception would be Porridge. Not sure about Are you being served?

The working class are extinct. Even the bin man is a recycling consultant now. :blink: